B-29 1/48

Justin M

Hello All, 

This is a kit I bought many years ago and it has sat in my stash until I was finally motivated to build it when I saw a friend of mine build his. I acquired it when I lived overseas but realised building it there would create a monumental transport issue when getting it home. Even so, building it at home also posed some storage challenges so I decided to try and address that in the build. It is an interesting kit as it was repackaged by Hasegawa with decals from Aeromaster. The aircraft was Rattle n Roll of the 6th Bomb Group. Being a "vintage" model, it has some flash issues, but not too bad, and, needless to say, raised panel lines.  

IMG_5233 - Copy

And here all are the parts in the box, with a "under construction" 1/48 Spitfire to give an idea of size. In terms of extras, I also added the Eduard canopy masks (EX367), wheel set (648132) and exterior photo etch (48744). 

IMG_5235 - Copy

• Like 8

Made one an eternity ago. Nearly all the internal detail can’t be seen but there is a good aftermarket nose “glass” replacement that adds clarity to the cockpit area. It’s a biggie and a tail sitter. I cheated and opened a rear door and added a metal access ladder as a prop to keep the nose wheel on the shelf. Very impressive when finished and worth doing once anyway. 

The first step was to remove all the raised panel lines and details in order to re-scribe recessed panel lines. This is quite easy with the old Monogram "silver-grey" kits as when you sand off the detail, the line of the remove panel line is still visible in the plastic. 

IMG_5232 - Copy

I used my trusty UMM SCR-01 SCRIBER, which I used in my F-4 Phantom build which explains the technique in a bit more detail. See here: 

Redoing the panel lines on the B-29 is not hard as they are mainly straight. The problem is there are lots of them and they are pretty long. A flexible straight edge is a must. In the photos below, you can quite clearly see the residual outline of the panels after the raised elements have been sanded off. 

IMG_5238 - Copy

IMG_5261 - Copy

• Like 10

Overall, it is not a bad kit, especially given its age. The surface detail is not fantastic but using the photo etch will improve that. The internal details is quite extensive, a bit softly moulded in places, but plenty of material. I did not add much detail other than some levers that would be vaguely visible from the outside. I used a decal set for the instruments - it was an old set that covered the B-29, B-17 and B-24.  I recollect they were made by Monogram but I bought them about 25 years ago so I am not sure if they are still available. 

IMG_5358 - Copy IMG_5360 - Copy

• Like 7

Rubbing down and re-scribing the fuselage. I found having the two halves together provided better grip and also ensured that the panel lines over the 2 halves linked up. It is possible to see the slight ribbing that appears on these kits just aft of the wing. Rubbing down for re-scribing does remove the prominence a bit. 

IMG_5308

• Like 3

Internally, I added a bit of "insulation" to the very front of the cockpit to enhance it a bit. Little will be visible but it was worth a try. The surface detail was done by applying putty and then rolling the handle of a modelling knife over the surface to represent the quilted texture.   

IMG_5377

• Like 7

I remember back in the mid-late 70's and seeing this kit in the shops for the first time. A thing of wonder. Way too expensive for me back then. It should be a mighty impressive model one finished, good luck.