+++ Completed +++ Vintage Classic - Airfix Stug III 1/76th scale

Bonhoff

Hi all,

Hands up if you built this one as a kid?

I'll have to keep my hand down as for some inexplicable reason, Airfix's Stug III didn't get built by the 9 year old me.

Now part of their "Vintage Classic" range and with nostalgia playing a part in my purchasing choices these days, I happened to have one in the stash...

50917264388_ddc3e9c24b_z.jpg

What to say about this one? Moulding says Airfix 1962" inside the hull, quality not the best but things were different 59 years ago.

I am grateful that Airfix went with a different material for their tracks though - CA adhesive being adequate these days for joining the ends, rather than having to get your dad to use a hot knife on the joint.

He's 81 and it would have been a 50 mile round trip to get them sorted...

Still, the 9 year old me would have had a ball building this, as did the 54 year old over a couple of hours on a Saturday night.

50917952541_4b6d9960af_z.jpg

50917952526_df19158011_z.jpg

Sorry there aren't more photos but you know, simple kit and all that.

I did manage to snap the spindly gun barrel but it seemed to go back together OK - Might see if I can find something a bit better.

KR's 

IanJ

• Like 15

Built this in 19thingy6tyoatcake. Loved it to bits for its sleek shape. As against a dumpy Sherman anyway. It cruised around my parents carpet sorting out sundry Airfix soldiers until it always lost out to the Centurion coming to the rescue. Happy days

Enjoy the build

• Like 2

Mine ended up being built as a knocked out one. The tracks were too short out of the box and went A Bit Funny [tm] after I painted them and left them on the radiator to dry :D

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I just cannot remember if I built one in the 60s, I must have done because I remember it in dark olive green plastic. :clif:

Mine would have been late 80s and I remember it being an olive green plastic as the humbrol 83 enamel wouldn't cover over it very well.

That was in the days before I discovered primer of course!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "Schurzen" were easy enough but the bracketry took some work - After trying various materials I went for little strips of styrene, which, despite my misgivings, proved more than able to support the armour plates.

Tamiya Dark Yellow, Red Brown and Green followed thus,

51012160553_e85eab3b00_z.jpg

51012966282_4d68e182e8_z.jpg

51012160043_17feb4fed4_z.jpg

It's now had a gloss coat and is ready for decals.

IanJ 

• Like 11

Fantastic work on the camo Ian and the Schurzen really does add to the appearance. You wouldn't think it was the old Airfix kit! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Bit more done tonight -

Tyres and tracks painted, my customary wash of Agrax Earthshade over all the running gear and then the upper and lower halves were glued together.

51020220183_603e4be9ef_z.jpg

51020950791_f4febb21ed_z.jpg

Leaving me with the last parts to attach, decals (All 4 of them), weathering and a final coat of matt varnish.

Thanks for looking

IanJ 

• Like 8

That really is looking very impressive Ian!! It's still hard to believe it's actually 1/76 with the work you have done on it! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• Bonhoff changed the title to +++ Completed +++ Vintage Classic - Airfix Stug III 1/76th scale

Hi Ian. Very well done!! Your Vintage Airfix StuG III looks superb in the Gallery. I would never have guessed it was the old Airfix kit. You have done an amazing job with it and the base sets it off really well! Thank you for taking part in this GB! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

That looks great, Ian. Nice work. I don't think I built any Airfix tanks back in the day, I was more into the aircraft and ships although I know I did the RAF Emergency and Recovery sets. But those Matchbox kits with bases - for me that is pure nostalgia for summer holidays because the shop at the caravan camp that we always went to sold them. I'd try to get them home in one piece but I don't think it ever happened.

• Thanks 1