It was dark and stormy night...

Peter Browne

OK, it's not night, it's not really stormy either.  Just a strange, dark, dreary and wet day.  Unseasonable for Perth (not Scotland...) at this time of year where it's usually in the mid to late 30s Celsius and sky of pure RAL 5012, without a sheep in sight.

I admit I have never taken any interest in group builds. 

But it's a strange day...and I'm in my curious corner.

And now I have your attention,  something really dreary...

Would it be possible to have a consistent format for the titles of GB threads?  It would make it easier in my dreariness to decide which builds to follow.

For a start, how about:

Scale - Manufacturer - Vehicle/Subject

Just a suggestion, it blame it on my German ancestors...and the English moors.

Peter

Edited by pbrowne

Gidday, from Perth (not Scotland 😀), and yeah, not the usual weather for this time of year here.

I'm all in favour of consistent formatted titles, usually. I'm also a member on another forum and your suggested order of title is pretty much what they use for threads displaying completed builds. (WIPs come under the name of the modeler).

Your idea could work with WIP and RFI sections but I'm not sure it would work for GBs though, which seem to me to be classified by subject (eg Spitfire) or theme (eg Battle of Britain). Others, such as Whiffs could be almost anything. Scale and kit manufacturer are rarely part of the criteria of a GB, in my experience here anyway. I am open to correction if I am wrong. 🙂 Titles of threads within a GB, well I think that's plausible too.

Regards from cold overcast rainy Perth (today anyway), Jeff.

• Like 1

Where's the fun in that!?! :tease:

Joking apart, you make an interesting point, although scale is seldom a requirement in our GBs as they are typically open in regard to this and manufacturer is pretty much the preserve of the 'Classic' series GBs, part of the looser style in the GB section of this forum does come across in some thread titles but then again our ideas are often floated for discussion and therefore open to suggestion/modification as part of their natural lifespan. A quick read of the description is the best resort as that can change fairly quickly after the initial reactions.

Edited by Col.

15 hours ago, pbrowne said:

For a start, how about:

Scale - Manufacturer - Vehicle/Subject

... but although I like very much those thread titles with a dash or more of imagination included, I second your thought but a bit altered: those three factors should be "tagged" in each thread possible. Some threads are multitopic, but even in them the scale and some kind of description of the subject would be nice to see at first glance. I try to do that, or at least part of it, as often as I remember... 👴

V-P

• Like 1

... and there was me thinking this was a proposal for a GB of Hurricanes, Typhoons, Tempests, Thunderbolts and Lightnings!

A rigid scheme might work well for STGBs but there are still problems.

Airfix have three Typhoons and four Lightnings in 1/72 scale, all very different, so to be specific you would then need to include product number. If you do that, then do you count reboxings as different kits or do you have a list of product numbers? And then if someone comes along with a Smer/Novo/Eastern Express/Revell boxing of the same mould you have more issues.

To paraphrase Mr F. Gump, “GBs are like a box of chocolates...”

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

My. BoB build would have the catchy title 1/144 - Sweet, Brengun, Arrowhead, Metcalfe, Peco, Ratio - Hurricanes, starter cart, Tillman et al...

On a serious note though, I find people are often attracted to familiar topics to them and might skip over an unfamiliar scale or build - but with a constructive title it can lure people in.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 12:11 AM, Peter Browne said:

OK, it's not night, it's not really stormy either. 

It made me smile that you were  making a polite protest about 'clickbait' titles in a topic with a clickbait title. (I think you were doing it on purpose)

The tidy minded part of me sympathises. Maybe the consistent part could be within the tags?

On 2/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, AdrianMF said:

... and there was me thinking this was a proposal for a GB of Hurricanes, Typhoons, Tempests, Thunderbolts and Lightnings!  

What a great idea except what about making it for the Tornado, Typhoon, Tempest, Fury, Sea Fury lineage?  

(And leading into Summer it is a dark and stormy night in Brisbane!). 

Edited by Rob S
Dark and Stormy
  • Like 1

How many rules do we need? I don't see a problem with more "creative " titles, it can pique people's interest.  Ideally the Op should include all relevant information such as you suggest, it's basic courtesy to the reader,  but it surely doesn't need a rule.

• Like 1

I would hope that the current way generates artistic inspiration, rather than something akin to a NATO stores list. It can be fun to watch the OPs struggling with a title that will get us thinking "that looks interesting, I'd could do something for that".    Not all GB subjects slot into that directive either.

Mike

• Like 3

For my 2 penny's worth, 

One of the things I really enjoy about all the GBs is the opportunity to build something that otherwise you wouldn't find a reason to build.

Take for example a recent GB, "Anything but Injection " we had resin, vacform, wood and even paper !

With everything from boats to buildings in every era and scale.

I think a GB that sought to narrow down the participants choices too far would in any case never reach the required number to get passed the bunfight 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Had me confused for a while there, thinking about microclimates, "Perth (not Scotland)" - how does Perth differ from the rest of Scotland?  Took a while to click that you were talking about Perth in Australia.

Pat, Mike and others above have summarised why we don't go for consistent titles - clicky titles stand a better chance of being read.  Without being read, they'll never have any replies nor pass to the bunfight.

Now, It was a dark and stormy night ... sounds like a bomber build, or maybe a night fighter ... or perhaps an all weather type build.

Go for the all weather thing ... I reckon that, with thoughtful design, you could have a group build covering WWI to the current jet era

My first thoughts on seeing the title of this thread was we were going to were a proposal for a Peanuts ,(think Charlie Brown / Snoopy ) GB - Red Baron anyone. You needed a close knowledge of the cartoon strip to understand the reference. I will leave it at this point at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:09 PM, Paul821 said:

My first thoughts on seeing the title of this thread was we were going to were a proposal for a Peanuts ,(think Charlie Brown / Snoopy ) GB - Red boron anyone. You needed a close knowledge of the cartoon strip to understand the reference. I will leave it at this point at the moment.

If it had turned out to be that, I'd have been in with a Sopwith Camel. ;)

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2021 at 8:49 PM, Rob S said:

What a great idea except what about making it for the Tornado, Typhoon, Tempest, Fury, Sea Fury lineage?  

(And leading into Summer it is a dark and stormy night in Brisbane!). 

Done!

On 2/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, AdrianMF said:

... and there was me thinking this was a proposal for a GB of Hurricanes, Typhoons, Tempests, ...

See above!  

And no pressure Adrian but we are expecting you to take the early toolings of each of these subjects and turn them from Pigs Ears into Silk Purses just like you did with your “Frog” Beaufort!  

• Haha 1