MiG-23 Flogger B, East Germany, Hasegawa 1/72

MiG-23 MF (Flogger-B) | 1/72 | Hasegawa
East Germany

zWyfURQ.jpg

I finished this on 1/31/2021.  This replaces a long-lost MPC MiG-23 I made in middle school.  I bought the kit only about a year ago, with the intention of doing an East German MiG.  I saw one at the Evergreen museum in Oregon and for some reason the colors in the camouflage really appealed to me (pictures in my WIP).

Not a lot to say about this build... it's not based on a specific aircraft and the decals were actually for a MiG-23BN (MiG-27 lookalike) and as a result were missing a couple insignia that go on the nose and tail that I've seen on all operational E. German MiG-23's.  These missing insignia are just a couple of a few minor inaccuracies in this build, which is disappointing, but it still looks really cool on the shelf, so I think overall it was a win :).

The kit itself went together fairly well.  The seams weren't terrible.  It took a little scratch building to fix some errors in the cockpit and bring it up to snuff.  I had to figure out the colors myself, which was a little hard, but I think I matched the colors on the Evergreen Museum MiG.  Operational E. German MiG-23s seemed to have a range of colors used for the Dk. Green / Lt. Green / brown camo and there were also patches of different colors on operational MiGs, maybe from repairs or touch ups.  I tried to replicate this in my paint job.

Finishing: Seams filled with CA
Paints: Mr. Color C56 (IJN Gray Green [Nakajima]), Mr. Color C43 (Wood brown), Hataka RLM 70 on top / Mr. Color C20 (Light Blue) on bottom / Mr. Color C331 (Dark Sea Gray) for dielectric panels / Mr. Color Super Metallic Stainless Steel with a dusting of Alclad Magnesium for all metal surfaces except the exhaust nozzle, which was Alclad Steel
Weathering/Wear: Ivory Black and Burnt Umber oil paints
Decals: Hi Decal Line 72-017

tHfkjgU.jpg

xzA7nYC.jpg

WFKD2NQ.jpg

gSeVEe0.jpg

9NEbJFC.jpg

ZQrd7Om.jpg

8uGfHOG.jpg

ltKsosX.jpg

rF7KymJ.jpg

QoxP4nx.jpg

LZYshYq.jpg

UVVCCwm.jpg

EWT1OOf.jpg

Y2YzJPk.jpg

Here I had to build up the floor so that the seat would sit properly -- as it was, it was way too low.  I also replaced the lame control stick with one from a Testors F/A-18, and made the seatbelts and ejection pull handles myself.

rJ27Wkw.jpg

That, and the detailing I did on the dashboard are actually visible with the canopy open or shut, which makes me happy!

LQcid0O.jpg

I'm still perfecting my penciled in panel lines technique. This kit had raised panel lines, which I sanded off completely, and then penciled them in at the end. They are barely visible in this photo, which is the point! To me, just barely visible panel lines seem the most realistic.  I haven't gotten to the point where I'm going to fill in engraved panel lines and re-do them with a pencil because I'm too lazy for that, but it is a distinct possibility with the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk. I that I have in the stash!

OxGMlzJ.jpg

The wheel bays were very plain, having just two vertical spars in them.  I found pictures of MiG-23 wheel bays and copied the hydraulic lines and pipework.  It makes a difference because design of the wheel bays and their doors means the interior of the main wheel bays can be seen from the side.  I think they turned out OK despite these bad pictures.

FogPVVo.jpg

LVxqGHe.jpg

Close up of the detail I added to the dashboard and the painting of the Odd Rods and the panel they are mounted on.

2kUrXZb.jpg

Thanks for looking!  Comments, questions or constructive criticism welcome!

Edited by opus999
Forgot a picture
  • Like 43

Really, really nice build. 👏

There's a few MiG-23s at the Czech AF at museum outside Prague (also highly recommend) and you've captured the feel of these aircraft extremely well. Have to heartily agree with you about those panel lines. Well done, time well spent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice result!

And with movable wing :thumbsup:

Great detailing  although the R-60 representatives are a bit hard to swallow- kit's fault of course! Maybe you can get better ones in the future and replace them! (Eduard's MiG-21 come handy as donors :) )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cariado said:

There's a few MiG-23s at the Czech AF at museum outside Prague (also highly recommend) and you've captured the feel of these aircraft extremely well.

Thank you! I really appreciate that!  My goal is realism, and unfortunately the MiG I saw at the Evergreen museum had to have been re-painted because it was pristine and didn't make for a very good reference.

18 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on this, looks fab in this scheme and I do love your subtle pencil panel lines, they are just perfect. 

Fantastic 

Chris

Thanks Chris!  Nice to have you looking in on the build, too.  I am getting more comfortable with the pencil, and it's getting to the point where it's easier than a pin wash.

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done sir, looking forward to whatever comes next. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Superb build as always, Opus, an excellent finish with great weathering makes for a stunning result.

Looking forward to seeing the next one!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Dennis and Mark!  It was nice having you guys along for this one.  I'm looking forward to the next one too... (I think? :D My foray into short run kits 🤔)

17 hours ago, billn53 said:

I really like that! Much better than the one I built, long ago, and more colorful as well!

Thanks Bill!  Maybe you should have another go at it and make it camo this time.  Romania's got some fascinating paint schemes ;) ...  After seeing what you did with Robin Olds' mounts, I'll bet any MiG-23 you did would look superb.

13 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Well done! 👍 The painting work looks superb and overall accuracy is on the top. Bravo! 👏

Thank you Nikolay!  I appreciate that!  Nice to have you along too.

12 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Two thumbs up!

Thanks Jackson!  Nice to have you looking in on the build.  I like your new avatar, BTW.

I got one of those .2mm drafting pencils for Christmas, BTW; thanks for the recommendation.

I'm glad I could help.  It may not be for everyone, but as a reformed pin-washer, I've found it to be a lot easier and more realistic!

How big is it?  I know it's a big airplane but how's it compare to say a Phantom or a Thunderchief?

Off hand I'd say it is a little shorter than a Phantom -- Just looking at the two on the shelf.  A quick look at wikipedia says the Phantom is ~63 feet and the MiG-23 is ~54 feet, so its actually quite a bit shorter.  I took a picture looking down on it from the balcony at Evergreen.  It is right next to an F-15, which makes it look pretty small.

10 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Lovely MiG, with a nice prototypical 23 stance!

Thank you!  Yeah, it looks like it's going to leap off the ground.

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice result!

And with movable wing :thumbsup:

Great detailing  although the R-60 representatives are a bit hard to swallow- kit's fault of course! Maybe you can get better ones in the future and replace them! (Eduard's MiG-21 come handy as donors :) )

Thank you!  I was happy that the wing was so well designed on the kit... a moving wing was a bonus! :)  Yeah, I was researching those R-60s at the end of the build and realized they weren't too accurate.  I toyed around with the idea of trying to modify them to look closer to the real thing, but the build had been dragging on and I decided to leave it to another day.  I forgot I have an Eduard MiG-21 in the stash!  Hmm... 🤔

9 hours ago, James G said:

Very nice Flogger, I like it

8 hours ago, martin31 said:

Very nice result in 72 scale 

Thank you very much!  I'm quite pleased with  it!

8 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Nice quality paint job Opus, it deserves a little winged Q on the nose😀.

Pete

Thanks Pete!  Yeah... that is one of the "Inaccuracies"  I tried to source that "Q" but only found it on one decal sheet that no one seemed to have.  Alas...

7 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Nice work there @opus999 The slightly 'patchy' camo finish is particularly well done without being excessive, and the end result captures the 'look' of the MiG-23

Thank you!  I'm glad it turned out OK.  It was pretty hard to figure out the technique to use to match what I saw. So I had to wing it...

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

You've done an excellent job on that one!

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Very nice great colour scheme 

thanks for sharing 

Eamonn

Thank you Eamonn!  I really like the colors too.

• Like 5

On 2/7/2021 at 2:28 PM, The Spadgent said:

Great finish. I love the variation in the paint work and the opening canopy and moving wings are a real treat. It’s rare you get to do a kit like that. excellent WIP too. 👍

Johnny

Thanks Johnny!  I have to say I was very happy to have working swing-wings and a canopy.  This may be the first model I've done with a canopy that isn't fixed.

13 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

13 hours ago, djos said:

You got maximum from this old mold, looks fantastic with all those details and in this colorful camouflage.

Great work

Regards Djordje

Thank you! It was an old mold, but a fun build!

• Like 1