80220 Heller 1/72 Fouga Magister

JosephLalor

Hi all

Late to the party as ever, but here's hoping I've given myself enough time, unlike with the Jetstream.

I've opted for something a bit smaller and quicker to get together than the  CL-215 I originally elected to do.  The subject will be Heller's Fouga Magister in 1/72 scale, still to my mind a nice little kit after 40 years.  I'm thinking that if I manage to get this one up on time, I'll make a start on the Heller Tunnan, but that's another day's work.

Kit bits, transfers and docs to start with

Sprue 3

IMG_1617 Magister Sprue 3

Sprue 4

IMG_1618 Magister Sprue 4

Loose bits and transparencies

IMG_1619 Magister Loose Parts

Kit transfer sheets plus one added as a package

IMG_1620 Magister Transfers

Assembly instructions

IMG_1621 Magister Instructions Construction

Painting instructions

IMG_1622 Magister Instructions Painting

I haven't decided on the final paint scheme yet.  The simplest is the Luftwaffe; the Air Corps one appeals, but will require the application of fluorescent paint, which can be a bit of a perisher.  Let's see how it goes.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

• JosephLalor changed the title to 80220 Heller 1/72 Fouga Magister
8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Welcome Joseph

Thanks very much for joining the GB with such a classic. 

I can promise you lots of support and encouragement as your build progresses.

Best of luck 

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat, much appreciated.

Some more progress.  Some split shot in the nose.  Not sure if it was actually needed, but I decided to put a few grams in anyway.

IMG_1645-Fouga-ballast

Cockpit installed.

IMG_1647-Fouga-cockpit

Main airframe components together.  Some fit problems were encountered at the nose and a fair bit of filler applied.  I suspect that the problem was between the workbench and the chair, rather than with the kit, probably due to the way I put in the cockpit tub.

IMG_1649-Fouga-main-airframe

Must come to a decision soon regarding the markings scheme, as that'll determine whether or not I add the VOR antennae on the nose.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

Hi all,  

Well, this one's going to the wire too.  I took a fall while out for a walk on Friday evening and went down on both hands.  I'm OK, but I didn't get an awful lot done yesterday.  That said I've done the painting and the model's now ready for the transfers.  I opted for a machine of WS-50, Bundesluftwaffe, 1966 - no VOR aerials, but the larger 230 litre ferry tanks for the wingtips.  I cut some corners I'm afraid.  I couldn't get the masking tape to sit so I did the old free-hand with a brush and toothpick technique.  Finish is fairly uneven on the cockpit canopy framing as you'll see from the images.  In my haste to get the cockpit on I clean forgot to install the interior part of the periscope.  On my next Magister I'll try depicting the coloured bulbs under clear covers for the navigation lights. 

Here goes with the images

General view, port bow

IMG_1651

Port bow, cockpit

IMG_1652

Starboard bow cockpit

IMG_1653

Underside

IMG_1654

Port quarter

IMG_1656

Once the transfers are on I'll seal everything in with a coat of Klear followed by a matt varnish with a bit of an eggshell sheen, probably Gunze Sangyo.  Once that's done I'll set it on its undercarriage.  I hope I've a reasonable chance of getting this one up to the gallery tonight, barring accidents.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks for the looks and likes.

The deadline passed just as I was uploading an image to the gallery so that's another I've missed!  Must get my finger out in future.  Anyway here's my model, I'm calling it done.  First completion since I gave away my Hasegawa Spitfire Mk VIII in the US in 2008.  I'd been thinking of also doing the Saab Tunnan and Nieuport-Delage 622 for this one - I might put the NiD down for the French Fancies GB in addition to the Yak-3 Mirage F1 combo.

IMG_1668

IMG_1669

Maybe not much of a model in my hands, but it's a nice kit.  The build had its fiddly moments, especially the pitot tubes in front of the windscreen.  They're tiny.  I dropped one on the floor and actually managed to find it.  Looking forward to my next GB.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 3

Hi Joseph 

Your Fouga has turned out wonderfully congratulations. 

:thumbsup:

Please don't focus on missing the Gallery entry, we have all done it and not by a few minutes but completely when a build goes wrong.

I'm really pleased you enjoyed this GB and would encourage you to look at the other GBs and your stash and think creatively, that's how I get some of my longer term stash residents moved onto the work bench and completed.

Cheers Pat 

Great work on the Fouga! Looks fantastic and a really nice job on the finish. As @JOCKNEY says, no worries that it missed the deadline. We got to see the progress and the finished result, so a definite win there I think!

• Thanks 1