Correcting Heller DC-6 1/72

Vesa Jussila

Hello fellow modellers,

When I was looking very nicely made conversion of DC-7 in ready for inspection section I remember that I have one Heller kit waiting in stash.  I built one years ago and that I remember that list was not short.

There was instructions in Finish magazine Ilmailu. I don't have any notes anymore left about that, so I need to now trust you dear fellow modellers.

I couldn't fine list from this forum, only some generic discussions.

Something was wrong in engines, but what else?

Waiting your comments.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I taped together the Heller DC-6 and the Revell DC-4. The difference is a lot bigger than that shown in the article, so is the DC-4 also a little off in the other way? Anyone has access to any drawings quoting the distance from the elevator to lower line of the fuselage?

Anyway, assuming that Revell is right, correting the DC-6 can be done making a cut as marked in the photo bellow and rotating a little the lower back portion. Easier than adding filler, in my opinion.

50946476683_e3e96802fc_b.jpg

50946111543_5e517cba2b_b.jpg

50946911742_5e83bdcbe6_b.jpg

Thoughs?

• Like 2

That might work ...

Part of the Heller kit's problem is that rather than being a smooth curve from the tail unit to the wing trailing edge, as shown in the Huntley drawing. the lower fuselage is a straight line from the tail, blending to the lower line of the rest of the fuselage in a fairly sharp curve. That will still need to be addressed, although what CarLos proposes will probably make the job easier. 

• Like 2

Hmmm.  IF you're willing to sacrifice the C-54 kit, you could give the Heller kit a new rear fuselage, or better yet, turn the C-54 into a DC-6 (not a DC-6B), through a fuselage extension, new engines (HaHen), revised tail, and new cutouts for the pax windows!

• Like 1