Sourcing 1:16 WW2 figures

The Great Escape

Can someone please point me in the direction of an online uk source for a wider range than the usual Tamiya 1:16 figures, please?

I’m specifically after some more of the Dragon 1/16 range...

ebay is very limited and typically the ones I want to build are all out of stock.

Thanks

Thanks both. 
Agreed that resin figures open up a new world and I realise that they are significantly more expensive.

But I do want to explore...

I have bought from Mitches Military Models before (a few 1/9 busts) but nothing jumps out at the moment in the 1/16 scale.

Most on eBay seem to be from China, not that that’s a problem, but I’d rather buy from UK if I can, particularly if I’m spending that much. Plus it keeps those UK based model shops going in COVID.

I won a resin figure on eBay a few weeks ago but when it arrived I found that it must have been a recast - it was awful as it had so many bubbles and pocks. 

When you search images of 1/16 I can see hundreds of wonderful poses... 

Where to people buy the Verlinden figures from?

50 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

ebay! The Verlinden company folded some time ago.

Oh - That’s a shame. Are there any other brands out there that would help me refine my search?

Also - how often to Tamiya and Dragon bring out new figures? From Dragon’s website, they released lots in 2003, two in 2008 but no 1/16 since.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Regarding Tamiya, not that frequently. Dragon has a greater output, but not by much. To my eyes, the options you have are:-

1.) make your own figures over a wire armature. 

2.) convert existing figures from Tamiya/Dragon. 

3.) bite the bullet and invest in a range of either resin or metal figures.

You might want to have a look at the ICM range of 1/16th figures, though the poses are a little ridged, i.e. up and down. There are more than a few manufacturers and retailers out there, Mitches and Historex have been suggested, another is SK in Darlington.

Paul

On 2/6/2021 at 6:26 PM, The Great Escape said:

Oh - That’s a shame. Are there any other brands out there that would help me refine my search?

Verlinden 1/16th WW2 figures appear on E-Bay on a fairly regular basis, but the prices can be a little high, due to the company closing down in the mid-2010's. They are still very nice, detailed figures - to my eyes at least. 

Chris.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am making a 1:20 model of ML167, a WW1 Coastal Patrol Boat that my grandfather served on as CPO. 

See 'WW1 Coastal Patrol Boats – ML167'  in 'Projects in progress'.

In due course I want to include the crew and I have photos of 4 of his crew and pictures of crews of other boats and I want to represent real people.  The figures will be around 80 to 90mm tall.

Making faces and painting figures is not a strong suit (I have tried!) so I am looking for a source of suitable figures.

I will need realistic faces and body proportions but expect I could adjust the postures and assemble convincing clothing.

spacer.png

This photo is a pencil sketch of a real crew in their forecastle and as my model includes everything below decks some crew will be in here.

spacer.png

This is my grandfather posing with the Hotchkiss 3lb quick fire gun on an unusual high angle mounting.

I want to make convincing model of this gun but hope someone can help to interpret the parts we can see in the photo.