Recommended yak7b bubbletop 1/48 kit

Tokyo Raider

Hi Brits.  We have alot of snow and cold here in Michigan, and its inspired me to do more russian ww2 planes.  I have a great aeromaster decal sheet with a scheme called out as a yak7b.  It has a chin scoop and a bubble top canopy.

What is the best yak7b kit in 1/48?  Most yak7 kits i find are a razorback type canopy deck.  Can you help?

AFAIK the only 1/48 kit is one by ICM that was labeled "Yak-7DI." It has a cut-down fuselage, but the wind screen is the early Yak-7A/B style (should be the straight sided version as found on the Yak-9). None of the ICM Yak-7 kits are very good. If I were you, I'd wait until Modelsvit comes out with their Yak-7 series, which is almost certain to be better.

4 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I have a great aeromaster decal sheet with a scheme called out as a yak7b.  It has a chin scoop and a bubble top canopy.

Aeromaster were not called 'Errormaster' for nothing.   Given the sheet is old, I'd be doing some checking as to the veracity of the scheme.

If you list the sheet and scheme, I maybe able to dig out some info.  

The as others have mentioned, there is a gap in the available Yak family kits of of the Yak-7 /early Yak-9 of decent kits, though ICM did these, they are not great.   

Though in time Modelsvit should cover the gap.    

HTH

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

The Yak 7/9 family are surely the record holders judged by the ratio of "importance & number of aircraft built" divided by "number of decent kits". I don't think there is a type that has a greater claim to injustice by the model kit industry

You are @John Thompson in disguise and and I claim my £10.... or should that be roubles? 

Joking aside, this is very true.    Maybe one for the chaps at Arma Hobby to consider, as there were Polish VVS units with the Yak-9

And surprising, given the sheer amount of aircraft, and now, One point that is not widely appreciated on English speaking sites is the sheer volume of archival photos becoming available on Russian language sites,  some get reposted on Sovietwarplanes,  but there are a couple of Russian sites that are real eye openers,  random photos now are listed with unit, dates, pilot etc. 

Admittedly many of the base Yak schemes are samey, (two greys over light blue) but there are some great personal markings to liven them up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

The Yak 7/9 family are surely the record holders judged by the ratio of "importance & number of aircraft built" divided by "number of decent kits". I don't think there is a type that has a greater claim to injustice by the model kit industry

Well said, and painfully true, especially in 1/72. I won't present yet another list of the failed attempts! The best 1/72 Yak-9/VK-105 available, ever, is a limited-run kit from 1997 (Dakoplast); the most modern Yak-7s were derived from that kit or its 2001 Dako Yak-7 companion (Valom). Sad.

John

• Like 1

The scheme I would like to do is the 3rd one on this sheet, green & black over lt. Blue with the cool dragon/monster art on the side.  They call it a yak7b.

"The Russians are here!" Part II

Yak-3, Yak-7, Yak-9

AeroMaster | No. 48-642 | 1:48

25 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

The scheme I would like to do is the 3rd one on this sheet, green & black over lt. Blue with the cool dragon/monster art on the side.  They call it a yak7b.

"The Russians are here!" Part II

Yak-3, Yak-7, Yak-9

AeroMaster | No. 48-642 | 1:48

aeromaster_48642_2.jpg

"

Yak-7B, of Major Aleksandr Nikolaevich Kilaberidze, 1 AE Squadron Commander, 65 Guards Red Banner "Orshanskii", Order of Suvorov IIIrd Degree IAP, 4 GIAD, 1st Baltic front, October 1944. Camouflage is AMT-4 dark green AMT-6 black over AMT-7 underside blue with a red spinner and diagonal white stripes on the fin/rudder. Markings consist of:

A large fierce looking dog's head on a red-bordered white triangle with eight red stars

Red bordered white arrow with the inscription "Towards the West"

"For brother Shota" patriotic slogan in white with a thin red border

White 45 plane in squadron number

Thin white diagonal lines for the fin/rudder

A small black and white painting of Shota for the nose

National insignia consisting of white bordered red stars in six places"

OK

see here

http://ava.org.ru/iap/65g.htm

This is the source image

yak9-kilaberidze-n4598.jpg

Very famous, it was in the first Red Stars book in 1979.   The 65 GvIAP as you can see in the link had Yak-1, Yak-7B, Yak-9 and Yak-3 in order.  

From what little can be seen in the above, I'd suggest that is in the two grey uppers scheme.    The Black/Green upper is possible for a Yak-7B. 

it's described as a Yak-7B here

http://airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-7/yak-7_color_d.html

I assume that records show that this plane was '45'  as this is not visible 

This is Yak-9 aircraft of Kilaberidze ace. Drawing by M.Bykov

yak9-kilaberidze-47.jpg

yak9_47_kilaberidze_prof.png

So the two tail stripes are the 65 GvIAP marking. 

putting "Як-9  Килаберидзе А.Н."  into google does not get any more image wise. 

though there is a this page on the pilot

http://soviet-aces-1936-53.ru/abc/k/kilaberidze.htm

there is a list of kills, the 'Za Brata Shoto'  has six visible victory stars, which would date after 2 March 44.

That's as much as I can tell you from what is available online,  there may well be more on Russian sites.    

@John Thompson @Massimo Tessitori maybe able to add more detail or sources.

HTH

Yup...  that is the plane!  Looks more dragon or monster to me and less a dog with all those teeth!  Thanks alot for all the GREAT information!

Edited by Tokyo Raider