Artillery, anti-tank and flak group build - half way there (again)

Potato Pete

Any interest in this? Pretty self explanatory, it can be towed or self propelled as long as it's not a tank (so M10's, Priests, Karl Morsers and rail guns yes, Shermans and Tigers no). WWII only or open to any period....?

Time to put a list together....

1) Potato Pete - happy to host

2) kir

3) Bandsaw Steve

4) Corsairfoxfouruncle

5) badger

6) Marklo

7) Robert Stuart

8 ) fatfingers

9) sampanzer

10) bigfoot

11) Jb65rams

12) Brad

13) helios16v

14) Jockney

15) Tim R-T-C

16) theplasticsurgeon

17) Foxbat

18) Ozzy

Pete

Edited by Potato Pete
  • Like 4

First to cast a vote for this. I have everything from railway guns down to 20mm AA guns, and also a very wide range of SPGs.

The choice of WWII alone would be huge, but I don't see any reason why it should be confined to that era. It would give people a chance to build some of the more unusual and esoteric artillery pieces, etc. from other periods.

Would rocket-based artillery be included, such as Nebelwerfers, as well as all manner of self-propelled MLRS?

On tanks: Some tank variants (Sherman 105, KV-2, close-support versions of several British tanks) were effectively mobile assault guns similar to the StuG III, and not "normal" tanks. It's probably a very grey area, and I certainly don't need to go there. Then there are AA platforms based on tanks (Crusader, Panzer IV). Since these don't look like "normal" tanks, they might have a better chance.

A great idea!

I think artillery is, generally speaking, under-represented in the modelling world. On most battlefields it’s just as important, if not more-so, than armour yet tanks tend to dominate this hobby.

I would suggest keeping the historical period open and the definitions wide; anything from a Roman ballista to a 21st century mortar locating radar. 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, klr said:

The choice of WWII alone would be huge, but I don't see any reason why it should be confined to that era. It would give people a chance to build some of the more unusual and esoteric artillery pieces, etc. from other periods.

Would rocket-based artillery be included, such as Nebelwerfers, as well as all manner of self-propelled MLRS?

On tanks: Some tank variants (Sherman 105, KV-2, close-support versions of several British tanks) were effectively mobile assault guns similar to the StuG III, and not "normal" tanks. It's probably a very grey area, and I certainly don't need to go there. Then there are AA platforms based on tanks (Crusader, Panzer IV). Since these don't look like "normal" tanks, they might have a better chance.

Rocket based certainly fit in to my mind. I think AA platforms are good too. As for close support tanks, I'm willing to leave that to the wisdom of the crowd, but my personal view is yes. As you say they're not "normal" tanks.

Pete 

• 4 months later...

I'll pitch my hat into this assuming it's not limited to WWII (though I do have a Bergetiger that has been started).  I like GBs that slant to a little outside the common.  I've got a couple options for AAA and recovery vehicles in my limited armor stash.  

• Potato Pete changed the title to Artillery, anti-tank and flak group build - suddenly half way there
  • Potato Pete changed the title to Artillery, anti-tank and flak group build - almost half way there

Make it 15 again, provided 1/144 is okay.

Recently picked up a nice Russian WWI towed artillery set, Japanese SDF type 60 106mm dual-bore anti-tank and type 87 AAA system, plus a variety of WW2 anti aircraft systems.

Edited by Tim R-T-C

• Potato Pete changed the title to Artillery, anti-tank and flak group build - half way there (again)