One aircraft with 10 jet engines Dornier Do 31

Having started on the Vertical Lightning build its on hold now waiting for parts to continue the project. So I thought I might get an old kit I never finished out of the box and practice the metalic paint on that. I tried to re start modeling about 10 years ago with the Planet Models Dornier Do 31, however I was never happy with the metalic finish and lost interest. Having now seen how to spray alclad properly I thought I would rub it down and give it another hit. The information available on the net is so much better now i have a better idea of the different shades on the original aircraft.

So I intend to spray the aircraft in the alclad grey undercoat and gloss black for the high shine surfaces around the engine inlets. The question is do I also shade the undercoat further,  spray base aluminium all over and expect the shades to naturaly appear or gray undercoat all over and use shades of aluminium paint on top of the base aluminium?

y4mMMtWUiAi45qE48LiC_4otmA3ul6feh5OawQHL

Edited by The west wing
lost photo link
  • Like 6

• The west wing changed the title to One aircraft with 10 jet engines Dornier Do 31

Like it. I remember this from back in the day being featured in TV21, The Eagle, Look and Learn etc.

Pure science fiction back then, and the gateway to a brave new world. Sadly it was not to be.

All we got, eventually, was the Harrier (Amazing in it's own way).

I always hoped Germany would use them. Imagine the colour schemes!

I'll look in for more from time to time. Pete

Hi there WW

About the shades of Alclad, grey primer first and then the different Alclad shades. One of the nice things with Alclad if you find the contrast between the different shades is too great at the end, then misting a very thin coat of a single shade over the top works very well.

regards Toby

• Like 1

Great project, something very different to the usual stuff on here 👍

What Toby said is the way forward with Alclad...the other alternative is to mask and prime the different panels in different shades (grey, black, white or brown) and spray one colour of Alclad over it to get the variations. 

Thanks everybody for the feedback, I think I will go with Toby's method of using different shades. The hose, air filters and fittings for the compressor have now arrived so I now have a working airbrush. The only problem it's so very cold here I dont want to work in the shed. On that point is there any problem in spraying Alclad in cold conditions?

I've just been watching the video clip of the Do 31 and a Harrier at the 1969 Paris Airshow, both doing a vertical landing together. Itjust reminds me of what an amazing aircraft it was (don't mention TSR2) and what could have been.

Ian

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The west wing said:

On that point is there any problem in spraying Alclad in cold conditions?

I'd say any paint suffers with low temperatures. 
You could use au bain marie to keep the jars at hand-warm temps though. Remember to keep the airbrush a bit warm as well.

• Like 1

Looks like temperature back into double figures next week so might be able to get on.

On 07/02/2021 at 11:31, alt-92 said:

I'd say any paint suffers with low temperatures. 
You could use au bain marie to keep the jars at hand-warm temps though. Remember to keep the airbrush a bit warm as well.

Good thought might give that a go.

When I do get on is there any problem in spraying grey or black primer over Alclad aluminium, or do I need to strip it all off?

One step forward two back. I've continued to rubdown and fill gaps on the model. A problem I had was dust had entered the cockpit area during the original build and this annoyed me. So I decided to immerse the model in soapy water the clean the outside and see if I could flush out the interior some dust did come out but I still was not happy.

Plan B

As I had some isopropyl alcohol in the shed I thought I might use this to flush out the canopy and as it will evaporate not leave any stains on the inside of the canopy. It worked but almost too good as the canopy became very clear and the rubbish job I had done on the interior we now for all to see.  I came back to it a few hours later and noticed clear rubber bits had formed where it has been joined on to the resin fuselage. The two halves of the vacformed canopy were ok as I used superglue however the rest had failed so the canopy is now off and I can try to improve the interior.

y4mBWZOXL-PzOcS__qL2ytPgeozP0dwL9vOG-GL5

y4mb-N8W1NQe3K-LZZS0D-RIiSJWX_NUN89h0QB7

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Revised the cockpit, seats further forward and test equipment racks mounted behind seats. I thought I might have to get aftermarket seats but when I had a look at the resin seats supplied by Planet they were fine. The fuselage has been sprayed in alclad grey primer ready for the bare metal finish.

y4msgsg_YEleJkrZAthhgTxNTroMg-DV6imkIucT

• Like 1