Logan's Spitfire and Hurricane

Great work by both of you, really got the paint down well. They're looking just the part.

Watch out for the stash, it can grow at a very alarming rate when you're not looking (or the other halfs not checking the bills).

Geoff 

• Like 2

Excellent progress, he's doing really well.  There are quite a few options for Varnishing, for gloss I use Klear floor polish however this was discontinued and bottles sell for quite a bit on Ebay  however a bottle does last a long time.  You can thi  it with water and apply decals directly onto it when wet as long as there are no complex areas to decal around. 

I have bought the updated version of Klear which is the pledge  floor polish. They both can be brushed on or airbrushed on.

The decals look great and I bet he's getting excited to be near completion. 

Great job

Chris

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Great work by both of you, really got the paint down well. They're looking just the part.

Watch out for the stash, it can grow at a very alarming rate when you're not looking (or the other halfs not checking the bills).

Geoff 

Thanks Geoff, I think next time we'll thin the varnish down a bit more or look at alternatives.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress, he's doing really well.  There are quite a few options for Varnishing, for gloss I use Klear floor polish however this was discontinued and bottles sell for quite a bit on Ebay  however a bottle does last a long time.  You can thi  it with water and apply decals directly onto it when wet as long as there are no complex areas to decal around. 

I have bought the updated version of Klear which is the pledge  floor polish. They both can be brushed on or airbrushed on.

The decals look great and I bet he's getting excited to be near completion. 

Great job

Chris

That's interesting. I was just replying to Geoff about the paint and lamented the varnish being a touch thick. I'll bear you floor polish suggestion in mind Chris. 👍

• Like 1

Lovely,  I love a bit of Fursty Feret and Sharpes Atlantic.  

Coincidental re the Floor polish, it's good stuff.  

Tried to get in mine earlier and frozen up.  So didn't bother, got no snow on it now though as had a snowball fight with the kids after work, great fun, love a bit of snow, wish we had loads of it though.

Chris

• Like 1

After this short break we can resume with the finishing strait. Logan was very keen to bring his Hurricane and Spitfire back to their matt finishes and this was done with Humbol Enamel Matt 49 once all the decals had been applied. 😎

ACtC-3fZmcBCz9TTazSG8nmFLycUhkw7Rt2-JJBO

The undercarriage was glued on and painted.

ACtC-3eSDJRv9UACnn-G2lksmVcdAGdsYMCcClk7

ACtC-3evc-aPFD9r6WJRDgHZT-YcivLxIploCRJs

ACtC-3f8i1zOFwH-G7M26l-aYZvbQoRCV-yQ6GIS

ACtC-3crRFw9deVb2JPvaHVkQbKLpXP250orqv6d

ACtC-3dVEqwprQN8kPn2qnQyfoONy-sxYmjEHR9x

And so, we have the finished articles, proudly displayed by my beaming Grandson! 

ACtC-3cvbacT8gQKSP4flqgY8Yp08etvNV6YMGmb

ACtC-3e7GJImS_0iFYbIWZlbme4UZSfos5c2qG4r

ACtC-3fUL750MWjSx-6HQ3T0lCkCE7d1WFNNdAjv

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I, No 615 Squadron, RAF Kenley, August 1940

ACtC-3c6kL6L6b9JbYKOgdxlqxltPMy1bLsdYHHj

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia, No. 610 Squadron, No. 13 Group, RAF Biggin Hill, July 1940.

ACtC-3fVGBR5Z38nZcu3fywROUR2u9ggMRFR7_xM

ACtC-3egZe5RsibTtMgoDkIAL-vVmrCtAzWq8hYV

ACtC-3cgAaSD9Uh_2-kR5M02brsP_T3qHQ8b9Xvw

And for some sort of BoB completion, while we were doing these, I built a Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I, No 264 Squadron, RAF Martlesham Heath, July 1940.

ACtC-3en46m84dV06Mq_ogGyt3uYDVIuIwX5EG2M

The Defiant issue resulted in Logan demanding 'a black one' which means I immediately caved in and we therefore have another being built, this time by both of us to represent the dark side of UK defence......

ACtC-3cNu-nH-An_LNpn938GvGEM5WRpSWymhc6L

ACtC-3fxveXGQkaO4sxRxmlgUiT4hGeTmbxeGC8m

We have learned a few lessons. Firstly, water down the acrylics and do multiple coats instead of trying to get coverage in too short a timespan. Let the paint dry thoroughly before attempting further coats. Secondly, learn to trust acrylic varnish. It works just as well and the final thin coat of Matt 49 Acrylic gives a much nicer finish as you can see below after we'd re-done them all.

ACtC-3dF4OjInTInZVf2hb-eJijUlPaSlAAk1Von

Not up to the incredible standards set on this forum of course but for the both of us, it represents wonderful time spent together, interest and laughter, history and technical details learned and a feather in Logan's cap from school for submitting them as a photo project on his home-learning site.

The remaining 'stash' now consists of: Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (early two bladed propeller), Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I (night fighter), Messerscmitt Bf109C-1 (nearly finished), Messerscmitt Bf109E-4, Junkers Ju87B-1, Gloster Gladiator Mk.II and a G.M.C. DUKW.......😂

I also have to find somewhere to display them so a few glass shelves and some LED lights will be making their way into the old CD cabinet although for the time being they'll have to share with King Crimson, Killing Joke and The Kinks.......all the 'K's....🎸

ACtC-3eQTK9KvTB5S3-EruOmVWnQfiESJR9zrsfK

So, there we go. Thanks for watching everybody and also for your kind words! 😀

Edited by Whistlekiller
  • Like 2

Wonderful photos, Rich! You and Logan have done a fantastic job on the Spitfire and Hurricane. And contrary to one of your comments, I think your finished models are very worthy companions to all the others on the forum.

Please do keep posting your joint Grandad/Grandson modelling: your posts are so uplifting in these troubled times, and it's wonderful to see a young man who's so accomplished enjoying this hobby of ours.

With kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Those look great! Nicely done. I'm a bit jealous of Logan skill. It's been 3 years since I started my Hurricane and it's not done yet! My first airbrush attempt didn't go as well as I hoped and the mojo has dropped right off. Hopefully, Spring and warm weather will help pick it up again.

Besides the great builds, there is the memories that you and Logan will have for the rest of your lives.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1