T-34-85 Egyptian, Miniart 37071 Interior Kit.

edjbartos

2 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Thanks, appreciate that, thanks for looking in

Thanks for demonstrating so clearly how model making is done. :thanks:

48 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Oh the fun that you could have cleaning up those aerials.....endless! Nice work Ed

John.

I was tempted John, but no, I think I'll give it a miss this time, thanks for commenting

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there folks, just managed to have a little time to do some more work, I have now pretty much completed the assembly of the tank, all that's left to be added are a few tools and the tow cables, I'll do those at the end. Since my last update I have made and added the brass tie down brackets and grab handles to the turret. I replaced the aerials with 0.4mm aluminium rod, which look a lot better that those horrible aerials included in the kit.

Here are some views of the completed tank, most parts will come off for painting so are just held on for now with Maskol so you may see some gaps, but when I have finished, those should hopefully disappear.

y4ms7DDs8nw1vexz7gDwtl163xy5D9u8_X2zikln

y4mnG6WXm88rnR7dhxUl8sWbJ_gSQW5CJtdlMgGS

y4mrHeVIGwMuoURQVeaJr_lAKniRDeLa08LT1bZA

y4m6u8ZqCnIVd8pS2JjbhjEOJAm4sCgyhSSJ14Wc

The next stages are to take everything off and start to mask the body and turret for the undercoat. Regarding painting, I think at the moment I am going to undercoat with Mig One shot Brown Oxide primer, which has a lovely brown colour, then I am going to attempt the hairspray technique and paint with Tamiya XF-59 Sand and start chipping. I have never done hairspray before so I will try a few times on some spare parts to see how it works and whether it gives me the result that I want. The first parts I will commit will be the wheels before the main body and turret as those would be easier to remedy than the main parts.

So that's it for now, I will be back when I have more to show

All the best and thanks for looking

Ed

• Like 13

I have never done hairspray before so I will try a few times on some spare parts to see how it works and whether it gives me the result that I want.

Very excellent idea!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It looks good in it's birthday suit Ed. No doubt, it will look even better once it get's dressed.

John.

Thank you John, appreciate that, looking forward to putting some paint on, it seems to have taken forever to get to this stage..

all the best

Ed

The outside's looking every bit as good as the brilliant inside so far - excellent work. I've found hairspray works well as long as you've got the right ingredients, and I think you seem to have those:

Tamiya (acrylic) paints

Cheap, strong hairspray - avoid fancy, perfumed stuff. Your local poundland etc. should be able to furnish the right stuff.

I've found with this that you really don't need to rush - anything up to 24 hours worked for me on a (deliberately OTT) P-51 mustang test I did:

If you attack it too soon it can actually be a bit too easy, with loads of paint coming off. An hour or two after the paint's dried is probably optimum. I'm sure you'll do a great job and look forward to seeing it!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Model Mate said:

The outside's looking every bit as good as the brilliant inside so far - excellent work. I've found hairspray works well as long as you've got the right ingredients, and I think you seem to have those:

Tamiya (acrylic) paints

Cheap, strong hairspray - avoid fancy, perfumed stuff. Your local poundland etc. should be able to furnish the right stuff.

I've found with this that you really don't need to rush - anything up to 24 hours worked for me on a (deliberately OTT) P-51 mustang test I did:

If you attack it too soon it can actually be a bit too easy, with loads of paint coming off. An hour or two after the paint's dried is probably optimum. I'm sure you'll do a great job and look forward to seeing it!

Brilliant thanks for the information, I did wonder how long  I could leave the paint on before attacking it, I'll do a few tests when I get the chance and see how I get on...

good stuff, thanks for commenting

Ed

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, hope everyone is well, it has been quite a while since I last posted, too many things to do at home that is getting in the way of doing any useful work on my model. So I have had a couple of free days and managed to get some time in. 

Following on from my last post I decided to try the hairspray technique to do the chipping, having not done this before I did a few trial runs to see how this technique works.

So first off I decided to prime the model using Mig oneshot brown oxide primer.

y4mTsvko5-PWl9hJrdLfYz9fQnsXhwssZYoNUID-

Then I found that Tamiya paints work really well with the hairspray and comes off nicely, Vallejo and mig paint seems to form a kind on skin and comes off in big chunks whereas Tamiya is much finer. Here are a few photos of where I have got to.

y4m9YaK-M7f1bt8aKI7B3-w8bjyIl73yD8NXJEM6

y4mISh45U-Rx70GXqxDBUbyJ6CFXPMFp1zCVCfx6

y4mJaXjuFb3Jb40omCvQOOD9xVC1eznF27dmmOjU

The barrels on the back need to be painted 4BO, so I have left them for now...

y4mXPIFn6sxatggaZfcmQv8X3-lXp9LpqNMOgPgN

y4mAjcjqKdXsoaWjR-RZTMJXAPq3D1XSxmy4tJSN

y4mDcwt7MtwE0yugR5bKi9rOlZFpG0RWSgTkpQGZ

This is the basic top coat using a mixture of Tamiya XF-59  Desert Yellow and XF-2 White paints. It's looking a bit flat now but I am going to use oils quite a bit on this model to bring out different variations of colours on all the panels. I'm quite happy how the chipping has worked out, I seem to have had quite a bit more working time to do the chipping than using chipping fluid.

That's it for now, will be back when I get another chance to do some more.

all the best and thanks for looking in...

Ed

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Vallejo seems to form a kind on skin and comes off in big chunks...

I really think that this only happens when people are not sure how to do HSC with that paint. I have no problems at all with it.

I have this kit pencilled in and I'm planning a partly burned wreck in the Sinai, based on photos in a book, so I'll keep an interested eye on this thread. Haven't noticed it before.

Edited by Ade H
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ade H said:

I really think that this only happens when people are not sure how to do HSC with that paint. I have no problems at all with it.

I have this kit pencilled in and I'm planning a partly burned wreck in the Sinai, based on photos in a book, so I'll keep an interested eye on this thread. Haven't noticed it before.

Thanks Ade for your comments and for looking in, I think I'm one  of those people, I've tried a few times with Vallejo paint with mixed results, I'll need to try again as they have a much better colour range than Tamiya. I'll look forward to seeing you do a burned out one when you do start it....

all the best

Ed

13 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

That's shaping up well Ed. The worn look is really beginning to come through. Nice work.

John. 

Thanks John, I did wonder when I did test samples if it would look ok, for me it's always a heart in mouth moment. I think once I start putting on some filters and oils it should look a lot better...

thanks again

Ed

• Like 1

Thanks Ade for your comments and for looking in, I think I'm one  of those people, I've tried a few times with Vallejo paint with mixed results, I'll need to try again as they have a much better colour range than Tamiya. I'll look forward to seeing you do a burned out one when you do start it....

all the best

Ed

Yes, the colour range is good, although it gets a bit of space issue... and there's always something more which it could have included. I like it over Tamiya for the results and the convenience. If you ever want tips for HS chipping with Vallejo, I'm no expert, but I'm always open to questions.

There won't be a WIP thread for mine, though. Too much work and risk involved in the build, as I've never done a damaged vehicle before and I'm slow at the best of times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there folks, a very quick update on my T-34/85. I started to add some oils to the body to bring out some colour, now I need to do the same with some darker shades for the corners of certain panels. I also painted the wheels and added 4BO to the tanks at the rear of the tank and added two decals to the turret. Here are some photo's of my progress. Note that panels for the turret and engine cover are loose fitted at the moment, hence some gaps showing on the photo's.....

y4mDYQyMrYAk_OVVFfG5V0HRxt-Vsi0HslSNCm2G

y4maUTRcoyTfPDZA5gdwllo-wuQ1pIL8d0kgPDo9

y4mMGS2E1X9qDx0D0boPuX3o38bM_bNnafOouHC6

y4mVfOrpQG3D1-b4xrvrXBFEf9hy7er7vHMZX6LA

I now need to start doing a pin wash to to bring out all the detail, so will be back when I have done some more.

thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 13