T-34-85 Egyptian, Miniart 37071 Interior Kit.

edjbartos

Hi there folks, I have now completed assembling the MasterClub track links. The best way I can describe the assembly of these in a word is fiddly. I read a few articles regarding the assembly and so I decided that after sanding off the gate pips which only took a few rubs of sanding paper I used a 0.5mm drill to run through all the holes to clean up any flash. 

You have two different types of link, one with a centre guide and the other which is without. When I first started to assemble I found that the fit was very tight and that some of the links with the centre guide needed extra sanding between the teeth. The links without the centre guide, I just ran a file on the insides just to clean up any small bits of flash. That made the fit much better and I did these a few at a time as I carried on assembling so it wasn't really an issue.

y4mQPCfdI1I3tsIfdlHblVtRSIzNXv_DkT61NSWm

The fiddly bit was in adding the resin pins to secure the links, one pin has a round head the other is straight but has a very slight taper which when inserted fully would grip the tracks together. I added a small spot of CA to each pin before finally pushing the pin home. Some of the tracks had a slight warp which was easily bent back to flatness but sometimes getting the pin to fit into the holes took time as you needed to line up the holes perfectly, so some pins went in straight away while others you had to keep moving the link in order to line up the holes hence the word fiddly. 

As a side note the round headed pin goes on the inside of the track nearest the tank body. The design of the T-34 tank track is such that if the pin starts to work loose as the the track moves round, the pin hits an angled plate at the front which knocks the pin back into the track link.

Although MasterClub supply resin pins to assemble the tracks the holes in the tracks go all the way through so you can use wire if you so wish. I have to say I really enjoyed assembling the tracks, once I got into a method of working, as I have never done metal tracks before I found It all went ok and would definitely use these again for future builds.

Some photo's showing the tracks in position,

y4m_LMXdUn2PQPUXoLn6CjqVioxuJWW2q9FIb1Ed

I have taken the front plate off to give a better view, I really quite like these.

y4mr9vFZ2s_VybI3SfowsGH0J2YK3Ln0ajchxOx5

y4m8-VoT4f4O5q7igD-UiXq88aJbcStvmPNirBB1

y4mOSKvsJDzDHijaxajWAUQQL6kVbMgj82LMMVXo

y4mPaj9cb0D_FR2L2RHUwh5eKT1997vzWj8HT0Do

So next up is to start assembly of the turret interior, will be back when I have made some progress. 

Thanks for looking in , all the best

Ed

• Like 19

Very nice👍 Fiddly tracks? 😟 I bought two set of Master Club tracks (Elefant and Panzer IV), Are they fragile, too? I mean, they can resist to an heayy mud weathering process?

PS: Your pics are fantastic!

Ciao

Filippo       

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's looking tremendous Ed, really great work!

Keith

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's a great looking job that you've done so far Ed. Nice work with the track.

John.

2 hours ago, Trevor L said:

Looking great. As you say, tracks can be quite fiddly but satisfying when you get into a groove with them.

Thank you all for your kind comments, really appreciate it..

all the best

Ed

1 hour ago, Phil1960 said:

Very nice👍 Fiddly tracks? 😟 I bought two set of Master Club tracks (Elefant and Panzer IV), Are they fragile, too? I mean, they can resist to an heayy mud weathering process?

PS: Your pics are fantastic!

Ciao

Filippo       

Hi Filippo thanks for commenting, Don't worry the tracks are really excellent and I will definitely use again for future builds, I really like them. They are no more fiddly than the workable Miniart tracks that you get with the Panzer III. They also have pins and you have to line them up properly if you do not have a jig. About being fragile, that depends on the tracks, I'm not sure about the ones that you have got but I would imagine the T-60 would be quite delicate. The tracks are made from white metal which is soft so if the tracks are slightly warped you can easily bend them back again. Also because they are soft they are easy to clean up. Regarding the weathering process I'm going to use AK Burnishing fluid, see this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hutkFf3M7I

You should be able to use your normal weathering techniques as you would normally do with plastic tracks. I would do a sample though before you commit to the whole tracks just in case.

all the best 

Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Superb! I really enjoy watching you work.
I’m glad I took the place in the front row :)

Vytautas

Hi Vytautas, many thanks for your very kind words, I really appreciate it, I'm glad you are enjoying it.

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaastav said:

Looks great and very satisfying. Lovely work.

BTW, would you recommend Friul or MasterClub for a T-55? 

Many thanks Vaastav for your comments, sorry I can't comment on the Friul tracks as this is the first time that I have attempted metal tracks, maybe someone can comment on this. I have a T-54 with Dozer Blade which I purchased recently so I would be looking at getting the MasterClub tracks for that as well.

all the best 

Ed

• Like 1

I have now started to build the internals of the turret, first off was the gun assembly, its doesn't look like it but quite a lot of parts went to make this, nice detail though...

y4mgGPpoQkkaRclLw6twRdEZNdFVmSBla84xO-0r

Then I started to make up the rack for the shells and the shells themselves, the rack was quite a delicate bit of construction but everything fitted quite well...

y4mUgkQrATu5dMImNhMmHQ2TxRobb-VyDrs5wMNsy4mrmy8fL8eLeAUXW8pNCBVDX1oX-_Z_Rn_8KxHy

I have now started the construction of the base of the turret, just positioned the shells for now to show how it will look, quite a few more bits and pieces still to construct and add to this.

y4mVx_28Hn7mcjTTd46KV3Mte7M73S7ZVl1yu8Ll

y4mBhYSBBBrfoBU1b4H42Ak4eiECKSbq7JTrmigI

y4msaAil6TdOtNp793EYk0d1nXDUkgV8VXinxzAt

Next stage is to start painting these bits and then slowly start to build and paint everything up. Will be back when I have got some paint and a bit of detail added to these...

thanks for looking in

Ed

Edited by edjbartos
  • Like 15

14 hours ago, edjbartos said:

its doesn't look like it but quite a lot of parts went to make this

But it's Miniart, they don't do few parts. Nice work Ed.

John.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

But it's Miniart, they don't do few parts. Nice work Ed.

John.

Thanks John, your dead right there mate, why do a part in one when you can do it in six...

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carius said:

Looks great so far, lovely work Ed.

1 hour ago, Phil1960 said:

Great work! and what a pics 🤩

Ciao

Filippo

Thank you both for your very kind comments...👍

all the best

Ed

6 hours ago, IGKent said:

Looked at all the pages ..... Excellent work Ed! (as always) :yes::yes:

Many thanks Igor, really appreciate that , busy painting those items now and will post in a few days time when I've completed that stage...

thanks again

Ed

1 hour ago, edjbartos said:

really appreciate that , busy painting those items now and will post in a few days time when I've completed that stage...

thanks again

Ed

Great! Well done, Ed!:clap:

Hi there folks, hope everyone is well. I have now had the chance to paint and construct the bottom part of the turret. Again some of the sequence steps that Miniart have in constructing is a bit off. The instructions get you to add various bits to the gun assembly, like the fragile seating assembly and various other bits. The problem is that in order to get the gun in place you need to position it at an angle and then twist into position because its a tight fit which you want. But by doing so you end up breaking the bits that you have just glued on. So for anyone contemplating doing a similar build it's best to add the parts to the gun after you have the gun in place. A few photo's showing my progress so far...

y4mzuxpUdYxqZamiUJFaN1yeT6mcSX3qhBQIRb1f

y4mgXESSv_f0lHS_6rvRpHnXz8mZP1EpLwDfg8H0

y4mm9kzN-RdjcvJpR3lmvGqk2ZAaKlMbZ9-Q-UKq

y4mPqoqa-mZbKxnur-FUlIMrfnmcnSPaWDrjR0SA

An overall view of the tank with the bottom half of the turret in place...

y4mLVLwC7KaESlCfJN3WTI97CP6Qc4wiCFMIRpvm

that's pretty much completes the construction of the bottom half of the turret, now for the rest... 

thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 13