Sturmgeschütz III Ausf G - Frühe Version **COMPLETED**

planecrazee

Thanks for the kind feedback Stix - very much appreciated.  Yes I've been busy - really enjoying the build and have surprised myself as to how quick it's all come together.  I'm hoping that once everything is finished that needs added and I've been able to get everything weathered in -  it should at least look like a StuG :whistle:   Although there's some cracking builds going on in the GB (including yours Stix) which will no doubt leave me standing :drunk:

Kris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, planecrazee said:

The machine gun shield has also been added - machine gun to follow.  I need to paint the sight in the cupola as well as the extinguisher which you can see at the rear of the tank  Does anyone have any advice on what colour these should be?  Also the hatch to the cupola needs to be added - it's basically done but wanted to check with all you BMer's out there what the inside colour of the hatch would be as this isn't mentioned in the instructions.  Would it be white?

That's looking really good Kris, you certainly have cracked the chipping and scratching effects.  The fire extinguisher would have been in dark yellow, just add a wash to bring out the detail, as for hatch interior colours, they were painted the same colour as the tank exterior so they didn't make it obvious to snipers that the hatch was open or ruin the camouflage effect.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind feedback Bob - it's really encouraging and much appreciated. Thank you also for the answers to my questions regarding the colours of those items - you are a wealth of knowledge and a true gent and you're really helping me with my own learning :thumbsup:

I know exactly who to turn to when I have any queries - you'll be sick of me know Bob :D

Thanks again

Kris

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

I know exactly who to turn to when I have any queries - you'll be sick of me know Bob :D

It's no problem, they say every day is a learning day, I'm still picking up bits of information and when I start a kit that I have never built before then I have to learn about it, from experience I know that kit manufacturers don't always get it right. :shrug:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Hope everyone is well.  Been keeping an eye on everyone's Panzer III builds and it looks like you've all been very productive.  I've managed to push on with my own build over the past week and particularly today whilst also starting my next GB courtesy of @modelling minion with the A-4 Skyhawk STGB.

So since my last update, the StuG was gloss coated in preparation for the minimal of amount of decals needed as well as a base for the pin wash to highlight the details of the tank.  I've painted and weathered up the exhaust and now added the guard with mesh screen that sits above it - although I don't think this shows in any of the pics :doh:

Anyhoo, here's where we stand at the moment:

DSC00787

DSC00792

DSC00789

In the 3 pics above you can see where the decals have been added and can see where the pin wash has been applied to pick out the various details.  I've painted in the centres of the periscopes for extra depth and may add a dab of gloss varnish to each centre to suggest glass/lenses.

As in the pic above, you can see below here the work done to the cupola hatch which is ready to attach and the machine gun which I'm leaving off until as late as possible to avoid knocking it off while maneuvering the model - which would be guaranteed to happen:

DSC00790

I also painted in the detail of the jack block which was about the only item left to paint after painting up and adding all the tools in my previous posts.  I went for a slightly different tone for the wood effect with this just to add some interest and to make it stand out:

DSC00788

I've given the whole model a matt coat today with the final additions of the tracks and the figures to complete.  The spare track link sections will be to go in the rack located at the rear of the the 'turret' and will add more detail and interest there.  The figures have had some dark base coats to get the ball rolling (makes them look a bit sunburned at the minute :laugh:) in readiness for the detail painting and various highlights and washes etc.

DSC00791

Then it will pretty much be down to weathering.  I'm thinking I may do some oil dot filtering to add some tonal variations and interest and then concentrate mainly on the tracks and wheels etc to dirty them up - not sure whether to go dirty/muddy or more towards dusty - need to ponder that further :hmmm:

I think the only other details to add will be the aerials which I'm planning to scratch out of stretched sprue and will definitely be the last thing to add as you couldn't risk doing it any sooner.

Really enjoyed this build and love being out of my comfort zone of aircraft.  I think armour modelling is a pleasure - especially with the build stages and have anticipated my foray in to this for a while which is why I have a few kits in the stash already - including the new Airfix Cromwell which just arrived this week as I really wanted to test drive this with it being a model also out of Airfix's comfort zone too.

So thanks for looking in BMers and any feedback, comments or questions are very welcome as always.

Stay safe and well and keep working on all those fantastic builds - I think we should be in for a treat for the final gallery if everyone's WIP's are anything to go by :thumbsup:

Catch up soon :bye:

Kris

• Like 9

Thanks very much for your comments Darryl - appreciated as always :thumbsup: I've already tried to get some variation in the dunkelgelb so appreciate you seeing this,  however I'm still debating on whether or not to do some oil dot filtering - what do you think? 

Kris

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 10:01, planecrazee said:

Thanks very much for your comments Darryl - appreciated as always :thumbsup: I've already tried to get some variation in the dunkelgelb so appreciate you seeing this,  however I'm still debating on whether or not to do some oil dot filtering - what do you think? 

Kris

To me it looks sun-bleached and used, sometimes less is more...

Saying that a light filter to blend the decals in wouldn't hurt, at the minute they look quite clean and fresh.

I'd be tempted to use a little of the dunklegelb and with a sponge or small brush stipple it onto the jack, S hooks, tow cable clevis as these would more often than not have been painted.  This then gets worn, chipped, scratched, flakes off, just leaving traces of paint.

Whilst far from good it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about

spacer.png

The woodgrain on your jack block is great too btw.

If interested,  I often prefer a dusty look to my weathering as opposed to muddy, could be because I can't create a muddy look I'm overly happy with. 😉

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 5

Thanks very much for your reply Darryl - really appreciate you taking the time to offer those suggestions and comments. I'll definitely give those a go and I do think I'll be going for the dusty look rather than the muddy look as you pointed out - think it will sit better. Thank you for the photo as a reference point - that really helps to visualise what you have suggested - looks like an excellent model from what I can see :thumbsup:

Thanks once again Darryl and hopefully I'll have an update soon

Kris 

• Like 1

Thanks Hewy - you're very kind - too kind maybe :hmmm:I am learning a lot though as I go and with the fantastic feedback and motivation from fellow BMers I'm picking up lots of advice and tips that can be applied into future armour builds. Think I'm getting a bit of a bug for armour :whistle:

Kris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks Hewy - you're very kind - too kind maybe :hmmm:

No mate, its always as i see it , I'm  no armour builder by a long long way, but you've turned out a very good base, just cause you've give it a wash don't mean it's  all over 👍

• Like 2

Hi Kris. As the others have said, above, that is looking excellent. I do like the painting effects you have achieved - especially on the wooden block!! Treemendous!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks very much Stix - really appreciate your feedback. Like I say I'm learning and trying new things as I go and the jack block was another technique trial. I thought it wasn't too bad and to have you say the same sounds like a pretty good endorsement. Thanks once again :thanks:

Kris

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Kris. I was just wondering if you have been able to make any more progress with this project?

Kind regards, 

Stix

Hi Stix,

Thanks for your message - hope you and all our fellow BMers are well :thumbsup:

Yes, I've been working away on the Stug for the last few days - I seem to have got caught up in a weathering bonanza at the moment and only starting to come out the other side now.  I just need to get the wheels and tracks on now and then I'll take a couple of pics for an update.  Then it should just literally be a few finishing touches and then she should be ready to go into the gallery.

Best wishes

Kris

• Like 1

Hi folks,

After just replying to @PlaStix, I thought while we were on the subject, why not just take a few update pics and get them uploaded now, then I can crack on with getting her finished and ready to go in to the gallery.  I'd like to get this one across the finish line as soon as possible to make way for other GBs and projects.

So here's the state of play as of about 10 mins ago.  The Stug is complete, every part has been added (apart from some scratch built aerials that will need to be added as the last job) - I've just been busy with the weathering.  The weathering is now about 90% complete.  I'll just need to add a few extra dust effects and maybe a few oil stains and that should be about it.  This scheme from the Tamiya kit represents a Stug from the 303rd Brg. Wehrmacht, Norway 1943.  Therefore I went for a sort of half and half dry mud/damp mud effect showing the Stug perhaps as the weather was getting a bit warmer and drier but still with a 'muddy' appearance so it doesn't look like it's with the DAK in the desert.  So here's a few shots of said weathering.  As you know I'm relatively new to armour modelling so weathering is another minefield and learning curve for me so any feedback/comments are very welcome.

So here's a few hull shots as well as the tracks, road wheels, idlers and sprockets:

DSC00860

DSC00861

DSC00872

DSC00862

DSC00859

The only other thing to look at which I'm still debating about is whether or not to still add the figures. 

What do you think BMers - I'll let you decide - should I add the two crew or leave as is and close the commander's hatch  They are both about 25% complete.  Let me know what you think 👍

So should hopefully have her finished very soon and ready to go into the gallery.  There's some great builds already in the gallery and some great builds still going on at the moment so I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's finished models in the next few weeks.

Take care all and enjoy the rest of the Easter weekend :bye:

Kris

• Like 4

Hi Kris. Thank you for your reply and for your update! Great to see your progress and it is looking superb! I do like what you have done with the weathering. I must admit I like to see figures in AFV builds. It's a personal preference - I'm planning on including some with mine - because I always think it brings tanks more to life with the crew on board. Still entirely up to you though.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix - thanks for the kind feedback and comments - really appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks for answering my question with regards to the figures and seen as though you're the host - I'll get them finished and added to the build. We'll call it 'host prerogative' :D

Kris

• Like 2

On 03/04/2021 at 20:15, planecrazee said:

What do you think BMers - I'll let you decide - should I add the two crew or leave as is and close the commander's hatch  They are both about 25% complete.  Let me know what you think 👍

Adding figures is a great way of giving a scale effect to your model but it depends on your painting skills with figures, I find them very time consuming and painting the skin colour is difficult, I have a book to help plus the online tutorials but mine seem to vary from them looking like zombies when I'm after a Winter effect or a sun tanned happy holiday look.  I leave the figures until last, and for the most part they remain unfinished in the box.  Sorry this is not a great help to you but at least you know that you are not on your own. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for your reply - hope you're well.  You're absolutely right about the figures and as mentioned previously after Stix' feedback, I've decided to go with them but they are very time consuming and I'm certainly no expert when it comes to the painting of them.  I think all you can do is try your best to show something that looks remotely like a person and hope that the small scale hides the majority of the issues that will no doubt be on show :D

I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray that the modelling gods be kind to me :fingerscrossed:

Kris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, planecrazee said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray that the modelling gods be kind to me :fingerscrossed:

I'm not one for relying on the modelling gods, so I bought a painting guide and the paints that they recommend.  Hopefully this will stop me getting any bug eyed zombies in my tanks. 🙄

This book was recommended by some other BMers, it covers how to adapt figures as well as paint them, I'm hoping that even I can manage to produce some well painted figures. :winkgrin:

IMG_1491

• Like 2