Sturmgeschütz III Ausf G - Frühe Version **COMPLETED**

planecrazee

15 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks for providing that information regarding the book and paints Bob - much appreciated :thumbsup:

A quick disclaimer, if you are painting any Vikings, they never had horned helmets, that's a modern invention. :like:

18 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

It may just be something to put on my ever growing Wishlist of modelling related wants!! :hmmm:

Tell me about it, I just ordered some AK snow effects and a diorama base today. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I didn't know that about Vikings Bob - you learn something every day. No won't be painting any - not really within my era of interest :D

I think that it's down to the fact that there is so much available for our hobby - it feels like there's always more to try and to buy and there's a constant stream of new kits and tools/products on offer - it's like a drug - totally addictive!! :whistle:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, planecrazee said:

there's a constant stream of new kits and tools/products on offer - it's like a drug - totally addictive!! :whistle:

Perhaps we should start...Plastic Models Anonymous.  I'll start, my name is Bob, I have hundreds of kits in my stash but I still buy more, please help.  I could stop if I wanted to....if I wanted to. :wicked:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Yeah that's exactly what it's like - we could stop if we wanted to - but we don't wanna :devil:

Just what would you do if you didn't stick bits of plastic together and paint them?  collect stamps? learn to knit?   Everyone has to have a hobby. :hmmm:

• Like 1

Hiya folks,

Hope everyone is keeping well and that the weather is nice where you are.  For a change the sun is shining in Cumbria and there's no rain so we can't ask for anymore than that!! :yahoo:

So this is going to be my final update now for this group build.  As I mentioned previously, the StuG is complete - the only job that was left to do was to give her some crew.  So, this morning, I managed to finish off the second figure to give me a duo. 

The crew just need added to the StuG and then I'll have a completely finished model ready to be entered into the gallery.  I thought I'd just provide a couple of pics of the crew on their own first and then you'll be able to see them on the completed StuG once I put the final photos into the gallery which I hope to sort and upload tomorrow.

So without further ado - may I introduce to you Klaus (The StuG's Commander) and Hans (the StuG's ever dependable Loader).  The two of them are having a little well-earned downtime and have happened upon a furry friend which they have named Otto and he's offering them a bit of light hearted relief from the rigours of battle.

DSC00876

DSC00875

As you know from my previous posts, I deliberated over whether or not to include the figures, as figure painting isn't something I do on a regular basis.  I'm certainly no expert on figures - especially when compared to some of the figures you see painted by very talented modelers on BM, but I'm pleased I decided to add them as when they're on the StuG with the little dog, it adds that human element to what would otherwise just be a piece of war equipment.  I've tried to add a few details with regards to their uniforms and did the best research I could to add some accuracy but I doubt they'll be 100% correct but in this scale you can get away with a suggestion if nothing else.

I'm really pleased to have got the model completed and in plenty time as my completion rate is often painfully slow compared to most others on the site.  As always your comments and feedback are welcomed and I look forward to sharing my completed model with you all in the gallery tomorrow. 

Massive thanks to @PlaStix for hosting this GB - it's fantastic and I've thoroughly enjoyed taking part and building this one :thanks:

There's some cracking models already in the gallery and some others that aren't far away so as I've said before I'm really looking forward to seeing them all in the gallery - top work folks :thumbsup: 

Take care - get those models finished and see you all in the gallery at the end of the GB :bye:

Kris

• Like 4

• planecrazee changed the title to Sturmgeschütz III Ausf G - Frühe Version **COMPLETED**
10 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Just been admiring your pics in the gallery. The figures set it off a treat, looks great.

Andy

Thanks very much Andy - much appreciated. I'm pleased to hear you think the figures look ok as I debated about wether out not to include them :thumbsup:

Hi Kris. I have been checking out your photos of your project in the Gallery and it looks awesome! Your attention to the details and weathering is first rate!! And the figures and dog really set it off beautifully! Very impressive modelling all round! :worthy:

Thank you very much for taking part in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you very much indeed for those kind comments @PlaStix, I really appreciate that feedback - especially from someone who is as talented as yourself :thumbsup:

As I said, I've really enjoyed taking part in the build and you've been a fantastic host.  It's been a fantastic learning opportunity for me to continue to stretch my legs in the field of armour modelling and I'll definitely be doing more - I've already started building up my '2nd stash' consisting of armour (as if my current stash of aircraft wasn't full enough) and I hope you'll have plenty more armour GB ideas up your sleeve for the future :fingerscrossed:

Best wishes

Kris 

• Like 2

Hi Kris. Thank you!!

I have proposed a M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB for 2022. It got enough people signed up to get it into the end of year voting. As long as we get enough votes at the end of the year we can enjoy some Sherman tank fun in '22!!

You can find the thread here:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Thanks for making me aware of this one @PlaStix - that would be fantastic especially when I have an empty space in my new armour stash for a Sherman.  Sherman's were something I'd been looking into but hadn't got as far as purchasing one.  I don't suppose you'd be able to recommend any good kits to fit the bill for this build could you please - I'm sure you'll be best placed to point me in the right direction :thanks:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

I don't suppose you'd be able to recommend any good kits to fit the bill for this build could you please

Hi Kris. If you enjoyed your Tamiya Pz.III there are plenty of Tamiya Sherman's available in 1/35 which will probably provide a similar experience. I have a couple in the stash. They also do some in 1/48 - which I also have in the stash. Tamiya's 1/48 armour kits are usually an absolute joy to build. You can find some reviews here:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=tamiya+sherman

Asuka or Tasca Sherman's have rave reviews but can be quite expensive. I built Eduard's boxing of Tasca's M4A1 Sherman which was a great experience.

There are plenty of other manufacturers who do Sherman's as well.

Other modellers may have different opinions but I reckon you cannot go far wrong with Tamiya's kits.

Kind regards,

Stix

PS - please let me know if you want me to sign you up for the M3/M4 STGB

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

PS - please let me know if you want me to sign you up for the M3/M4 STGB

Yes please Stix - absolutely - you can definitely count me in :thumbsup: Thank you for your invaluable advice over potential Sherman kits. I think you're absolutely right about Tamiya and I think that's what I'll look for - I've personally never been disappointed by anything I've built from Tamiya. 

Thank you

Kris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, planecrazee said:

I think you're absolutely right about Tamiya and I think that's what I'll look for - I've personally never been disappointed by anything I've built from Tamiya. 

To a point I agree, I started AFV modelling when Tamiya was really the only option but their older kits that were made to be motorised are not so accurate and are best avoided unless it's the only kit available.  I bought several of Tamiya's early Sherman kit in 1/35th, it dates from the 1990s, has several options in the box and builds easily, but to make an accurate early M4 Sherman takes a lot of work, I only completed one using a spare bolted transmission from a Tasca M4A1, spare suspension units from a Dragon M4, some AM resin to cover the inaccurate front plate and a replacement barrel with a resin mantlet.  Then there was plastic-card to stop the see through effect, stretched sprue to fill the weld trenches and some AM p/e and workable tracks, not as easy as a Dragon M4 kit but Dragon have not produced their kit for years and Tasca/Asuka never made a welded M4, not sure about any other manufacturers. :shrug:

• Like 2