Sturmgeschutz III ausf G - 1/35 (Tamiya 35014) --- [FINISHED]

witjas4

Hi.

This is my KIT I'm going to make on this STGB, the vintage Tamiya's Stug ausf G but with some addons. I don't know if I make a figures, probably not, but maybe I'll change my mind.... will see.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

Good luck on STGB to all of us ;)

Witold

Edited by witjas4
  • Like 9

Hi Witold. Great to see you here with what looks to be a bit of a golden oldie from Tamiya!! Really looking forward to seeing this one in progress. Looks like you've got some replacement tracks too - which is probably a very good idea!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 06/02/2021 at 01:00, Retired Bob said:

Welcome to the Group Build, believe it or not, I built this kit....about 45 years ago, this will be interesting to watch. :popcorn:

I believe you ;)
tam.jpg

• Like 3

Hi.

There is a Saturday building progress:

completed little piece of truck, needed for wheels fitting

IMG-20210206-180936.jpg

5mm bearings inside the sprocket wheel...

IMG-20210206-190004.jpg

I have to make running model like all of my models (that's my style of modelmaking)

• Like 6

Here is today's building progress:

completed mounting of sprocket wheels...

IMG-20210207-174927.jpg

IMG-20210207-175022.jpg

I noticed that in this KIT there are ugly molded shakles handles... I had to correct them by handmake :)

IMG-20210207-173820.jpg

IMG-20210207-174418.jpg

• Like 9

Contiunued of correcting imperfections of vintage Tamiya KIT :confused:

I had to shorten the suspension arms because the metal sprockets are properly narrower than the plastic ones from the set, that are too wide, but now the track links will run straight.

IMG-20210210-205043.jpg

I also decided to drill holes in the wheels to make them look more realistic

IMG-20210210-215600.jpg

Edited by witjas4
  • Like 6

On 05/02/2021 at 18:34, witjas4 said:

Hi.

This is my KIT I'm going to make on this STGB, the vintage Tamiya's Stug ausf G but with some addons. I don't know if I make a figures, probably not, but maybe I'll change my mind.... will see.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

Good luck on STGB to all of us ;)

Witold

Yeahh, oldie but goldie 👍

OTB definitely a very relaxed build. The friuls will probably do most of the work 😅

I have had the kit in stock for many years and have to be honest, I bought it because of the very cool boxart 🤭

Have fun!
MD

4 hours ago, witjas4 said:

Continued of correcting imperfections of vintage Tamiya KIT :confused:

Hi Witold,  Your StuG is coming along nicely, lots of metal replacement parts.  Tamiya have always had a problem with their Panzer III and Panzer IV models using the late type tracks and making the sprockets and wheels wider to make them fit.

I got some Miniart tracks to correct the Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf.D but they did not fit, the sprockets and running gear was too wide.

IMG_0899

So I had to replace the suspension and running gear with a set from TriStar and spare parts from a Dragon kit.

Here it is after replacing the suspension.

IMG_0843

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Witold,  Your StuG is coming along nicely, lots of metal replacement parts.  Tamiya have always had a problem with their Panzer III and Panzer IV models using the late type tracks and making the sprockets and wheels wider to make them fit.

I got some Miniart tracks to correct the Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf.D but they did not fit, the sprockets and running gear was too wide.

So I had to replace the suspension and running gear with a set from TriStar and spare parts from a Dragon kit.

Here it is after replacing the suspension.

IMG_0843

Hi bob, you did well to solve this problem, I really like your work and idea.

I believe that sprocket wheels and tracks from Friulmodel in my kit resolves the problem with mismatch the wheels and suspension, of course I have to make some corrections but final result should be acceptable.

Cheers

W

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I had to narrow down the main wheels cause they are to wide but also the polycaps which must be put inside them.

IMG-20210218-205943.jpg

IMG-20210220-170457.jpg

IMG-20210220-173351.jpg

Here is my actual building progress...

IMG-20210224-215739.jpg

IMG-20210224-215846.jpg

IMG-20210224-220303.jpg

Idlers and 2 spare wheels also have been narrowed :)

Edited by witjas4
  • Like 7

Hi W.

Is it a design feature I've missed, but the drive sprockets seem to be their transmission cover's.

I'm no expert on the subject, but missing cover would be why the axles were to long.

Just wondering, as a beautiful build so far.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Witold. I am glad you are okay and that there has been some progress with your project. I hope you are able to find more time for it soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I finally finished (in 99%) assembling and it wasn't so easy like in modern models, the OLD kits are very unperfect so I had to make some corrections. I paste the progress imgs below.

IMG-20210412-204014.jpg

IMG-20210412-210347.jpg

IMG-20210411-193745.jpg

IMG-20210411-210403.jpg

I'm going to start painting today. The rest of the parts will be glued after painting.

I secretly hope that I finish it before 11pm on 09/05/2021 :)

Regards W

• Like 6

On 19/04/2021 at 13:59, witjas4 said:

secretly hope that I finish it before 11pm on 09/05/2021

No need to finish by the 9th May. The Gallery doesn't close until 23.59 on May 30th.

The build looks to be progressing beautifully. :thumbsup:

Hope the painting went well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1