HMS Calcutta - C Class Cruiser, Trumpeter 1/350

So to portholes ...

2021 03 15_2524

I've previously ued "Klear" to attach them but I'm conscious that the hull will need a considerable amount of masking and I have no confidence that Klear will provide sufficient adhesion to stop them being lifted.

So it's to super glue which takes a whole lot longer.

2021 03 15_2525

The watertight doors were replaced by Micromaster offerings but be warned if you do the same - The ones under the shelter deck all need cutting sown to fit.

They provide such an improvment on the rather weakly moulded kit originals

2021 03 15_2523

And so onto the Splinter shields that the photos kindly supplied by @dickrd Dick prove that Calcutta had.

Once again Christian Bruer deserves thanks for paving the way.  Like him I used 4mm deep 0.25mm thick Evergreenstrip

2021 03 15_2518

Measurements are all guestimation, they really just fill the space provided.

2021 03 15_2519

and rather emabarrassingly, you'll see the piping bits that I studiously stuck to the foc'sle superstructure are now gone - they were of course from plans depicting tall mushroom vents - "I'm not as bright as I look :doh:"

2021 03 15_2520

At least it's starting to look like a C class cruiser.

2021 03 15_2522

2021 03 15_2521

Some masking next - the plan is to prime and paint the hull, paint the deck furntire but leave the "plastic" deck unpainted so as to improve adhesion with the Wood Hunter deck that turned up last W/E and very nice it is 

2021 03 15_2526

Thnaks for lookin g

Stay Safe and Cautious

Rob

• Like 12

21 hours ago, robgizlu said:

At least it's starting to look like a C class cruiser.

It certainly is very nice job taking notes for later.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

This probably isn't the right place to ask this (but I cant see any better or wiser modellers to ask), but how difficult might it be to convert this model back to the original 1920 late C class ship ? Does the sprue layout suggests Trumpeter will issue an early version as well ? From what I can see, the main difference is the torpedo tubes, the aft mast and the aft superstructure.

• Thanks 1

In addition to the changes Nick B listed (and the obvious new main armament):

Omit ADO Platform (Part E26) and all its fittings, add director platform and 6" director in its place, increase height of foremast and add spotting top.

Omit after HA DCT (Parts E19 and E20 - which Calcutta never carried anyway!).

Provide additional boats and davits.

Omit platforms and supports for searchlights and quadruple 0.5" guns.

Add single 3" HA guns abreast forefunnel

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Our Ned said:

In addition to the changes Nick B listed (and the obvious new main armament):

:) Yes I did miss out the very obvious one.

Seriously though, that list doesn't sound like a major corrections project. Any have any resin I can buy ? 

• Like 1

Hi Nick - I think Our Ned has covered things.  I have general  line drawings of what would be needed.  PM me if you want to progress further.

Looking at the kit - I think it will take a little bit of work and some scratching, - the foremast upper structure will need a bit of careful building.  There's nothing on the sprues to obviously suggest Trumpeter wil do an earlier version though as you proably know they plan to release Colombo at a later  date circa 1942-1943, with 271 radar etc

Micromaster and Black cat both do the 3" HS guns though not the 6" guns.

There are some nice pics showing the earlier versions available on t'net

Look forwards to it - I think she has elegant lines

Rob

On 3/16/2021 at 8:42 PM, S-boat 55 said:

Looking very nice, love the portholes, I'm guessing they're north star as well? What size did you use?

Hi  they aren't North Star - rather these from Ebay/China

2020 12 16_0758

HTH

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob

I know I lack the skills set to even attempt something as straight forward as this conversion unaided. I hope someone does do a resin "correction" set though as I'd rather like to build a near WW1 version. You can get a 6 inch Mark XII single mount sold by Shapeways from Micro Master (7 for £13), which solves the artillery problem. I'll continue to keep my eyes open in hope.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Nick, I didn't check Shapeways - the quality is really considerably less than that Micromaster do currently.

A resin "Correction" set would be nice.

In truth - I'm drawn to the later variants which we should see Trumpeter issue with Colombo/Carlisle.

So - to some further Funell pimping

2021 03 23_2538

2021 03 23_2539

You can also see the Black Cat Models paravane offering which is just a thing of beauty :thumbsup:

And so onto primer.  The Rear hull is now fixed in place and the boat hull "Sidewalls "are fixed.  The Deck remains unpainted to allow the wood deck to better adhere

2021 03 23_2536

2021 03 23_2537

The Boot topping is sprayed and then masked with 2mm tape

2021 03 23_2529

and following on from @dickrd's recent work describing hul antifoul coming in many (likely) shades, I thought I'd experiment, mindul that none is likely to show when the ship is embedded into the sea base

2021 03 23_2530

Ratio of Black Grey to Slate Grey was 2 : 1.

2021 03 23_2531

And then onto first coats of Colourcoats 507C, what a great colour.  I spray in very thin coats, leaving 4-6 hours between each

2021 03 23_2532

2021 03 23_2535

More soon - camo pattern next, then deck "stickdown" and onto super structure and masts etc

Thanks for looking 

Stay Safe

Rob

• Like 14

This is coming along nicely Rob. I started not wanting to follow this, the Cs & Ds have never been my favourite classes but there is something about the process as you show it that has sucked me in again. I guess I'll hang about for a bit. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 8:30 AM, stevehnz said:

This is coming along nicely Rob. I started not wanting to follow this, the Cs & Ds have never been my favourite classes but there is something about the process as you show it that has sucked me in again. I guess I'll hang about for a bit. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve - a bit like the County Class, there's something attractive by their ungainleness.

2021 03 23_2536

2021 03 26_2557

2021 03 26_2553

2021 03 26_2558

2021 03 26_2559

2021 03 26_2555

2021 03 26_2554

2021 03 26_2556

There's only so much masking a poor boy can take :blink2::phew:

Rob

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

Rob

When I read the painting guidance I often see the use of white counter shading described. I understand that in reference to the underside of the main gun barrels, but what about elsewhere ?

Thanks

Nick

• Like 1

Fantastic looking camo scheme!

Really, I must find something similair for my future project, and not as always only white or white and white-blue or white and white-blue and white-green. My shelf with models will look soon as iceberg with polar bear's family on it...

...on White Sea of course😉 

Edited by socjo1
  • Haha 3

Gidday Rob, that camo scheme is very striking. Well done. I have a question for you. Have you painted the underwater hull yet? (No jokes please Kev, about bare bottoms 😁) If not, is that lower masking tape necessary? Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nick B said:

Rob

When I read the painting guidance I often see the use of white counter shading described. I understand that in reference to the underside of the main gun barrels, but what about elsewhere ?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick - I think Our ned has covered that.  On Coastal Forces MTBs and MLs etc the counter shading was often very prominent in an attempt to dissipate shadow - Vent cowls - wind deflectors etc.  I certainly cant see any evidence for it in the original pictures for this scheme.

2 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Fantastic looking camo scheme!

Really, I must find something similair for my future project, and not as always only white or white and white-blue or white and white-blue and white-green. My shelf with models will look soon as iceberg with polar bear's family on it...

...on White Sea of course😉 

Hi Michal - and I have yet to do a Western approaches scheme - I'm jealous :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm: Should we all e stood around watching a lady putting on her make up, face , getting dressed to go out :blush:

Kev

Kev is this Cornish idiom or the result of an early Friday afternoon gin?  :shrug:

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

Watching a learning..........watching and learning.

Jon

Dear dear boy - too kind - too kind ;)

12 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Rob, that camo scheme is very striking. Well done. I have a question for you. Have you painted the underwater hull yet? (No jokes please Kev, about bare bottoms 😁) If not, is that lower masking tape necessary? Regards, Jeff.

Hi Geoff, A couple of pics above show the boot-topping and a slatish grey antifoul.  It was easier to reverse mask than paint the boot -topping after and risk the camo "lifting".

In fact with all the masking - only 2 portholes "lifted".  Chuffed of Mumbles :)

Thanks y'all

Rob

• Like 1