HMS Calcutta - C Class Cruiser, Trumpeter 1/350

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Michal, North Star had been showing ‘out of stock’ for at least a year on the Bridge Equipment set (which I agree is excellent), but a couple of weeks ago they must have done another run, because some showed up (& I promptly snaffled two of them; now all I need is patience with the mail system...!).  

Don’t know whether any available now, but worth a look.

Good luck with the wait (Was the postal charge eye-watering?)

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a happy hour in the Garage pottering with Styrofoam and seeing what worked with the dremel.

Not as easy as first seems.  First attempt with a circular abrasive fitting

2021 02 22_1325

And then to cover it with some kitchen towel using spray adehesive to secure 

2021 02 22_1329

doesn't look entirely promising - we shall see.

A second attmept using the bell shaped abrasive bit - which worked a whole lot better and another attempt on the right using heat.

2021 02 22_1327

It's pretty tempting to just acrylic Gloss medium the middle ripple version bt Chris Flodberg is pretty insistent that using paper kitchen towel smoothes everything out and is worth the extra effort.

2021 02 22_1328

It's possible I'll keep the ripple version for the Black Cat LCI (L) that has rather formed a place in my affections.

I cut a peice of Styrene for Calcutta's base - it's all getting slighly easier - the trick is to heat up my long bladed knife with my kitchen blow torch :mg:  And cut quickly and confidently

2021 02 22_1326

The stablisers had to come off so as to "plant" the hull

2021 02 22_1331

2021 02 22_1330

2021 02 22_1332

2021 02 22_1323

Et voila!

2021 02 22_1324

Only a tiny (thoroughly irritating) gap at the back :crosseyed:

More soon - thanks for looking and stay safe

Rob

• Like 8

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

It's pretty tempting to just acrylic Gloss medium the middle ripple version bt Chris Flodberg is pretty insistent that using paper kitchen towel smoothes everything out and is worth the extra effort.

Let me share my experience. It's better to use toilet paper, not a kitchen towel, and the cheapest one. Apply a layer of PVA diluted with water, on top - a layer of toilet paper, then another layer of PVA and so on - up to 5 times. Wait a little. The paper will turn into porridge, we form this mass with a palette knife, spatula, table knife, teaspoon or whatever is more convenient for you))).

After 2 hours everything will dry up and you can add more
try it - it's very simple

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress on the base...

2021 03 08_2503

2021 03 08_2502

2021 03 08_2501

And more trials

2021 03 08_2500

Including this using oat bran which was a disaster 

2021 03 08_2498

I used varnish on ths test piece  which Michael M suggested.  The surface broke up and I think this is one methoid I'm going to abandon :doh:

2021 03 08_2497

Multiple coats pf artists gesso with sanding between really does smooth out the imperfections

2021 03 09_2515

And for those of you who obsess about these things I found this method on You tube that I thought intriguing...

There's some epoxy putty on the way!! :nerd:

The portholes are all drilled out.  There are moulded scuttles which are OK.  But since I had the etch, I elected to use it and rubbed the mulded ones  down - possibly unnecessarily:whistle:

2021 03 08_2507

so as not to see through the hull - I had to mount these inserts 

2021 03 08_2508

One issue was that the super structure piece was warped and I've had to try to bend it straight in a lateral (front/back) direction.  There's now an area of fatigue crossways which I'll have to be careful about, lest it cracks.  Here's my addition to the discussion on modelling tools...

2021 03 08_2511

2021 03 08_2506

Getting it to sit flush with the deck is now an issue and I'm being tempted to glue it down BEFORE attaching the main deck to the hull (which means i can't use the wood deck that is slowly winging it's way from China!!)

2021 03 08_2510

And you'll notice the pumped funnels - inspiration being lifted entirely from Christian Bruer who is building HMS Cairo and doing a Fab job on it, elesewhere.  Thanks Christian.  I have no idea how accurate this is, but it gives visual interest to what would otherwise be a void

2021 03 08_2509

Building the County Class ships ahs taught me to plan ahead as far as possible and you'll see from the above pictures I've filled all the slots that the magazine lockers would slot into - I'll be using Micromaster Lockers that sit on tiny supports and if they aren't filled you get to see the holes underneath.

Original photos (few as they are ) and Profile Morskie show these things prominently on the bridge superstructure - I've no idea what they are :shrug:

2021 03 09_2517

I'll be thinking of Crisp when I carry on the etch portholes.  

I tried sketching out the camo scheme.  It's shocking that there are so few pictures of these Cruisers in wartime action especially Calcutta.   I've been researching Landing Craft Infanty (L) vessels in anticipation of Black Cat's releases and there are so many pics of THEM - such a stark contrast to earlier in the war!

We have 3 pics to work from - the 2 featured earlier in the blog and P107 from Norman Friedman's "British Cruiser Warfare" which shows the starboard side in reasonable detail.  No pic really details the rear half of the port side so I'll assume that the scheme was similar to the starboard side.  Don't larugh at the graphic attempts - I envy Jamie et al's facility with graphical representation

Scan0042

The value here is to help me plan the scheme on the model by defining "landmarks" .  Vertical cross hatching is "black" and diagonal 507A.  I'm still pondering whether the lines are actually curved or straight ?   (Or a mix)  Anyone??

Scan0043

The one amendment I've already decided on the port side is that the colour block under the second funnel is in fact 507A NOT black.

The P107 pic proves that the illustration in Raven's  Warships Perspectives is partially inaccurate

Scan0041

And finally a shout out and public thanks to Simon Percival of Micromaster.  I received a Micromaster order today (roughly 4 weeks shipping time NZ to UK) and Simon very kindly gifted me some County class turrets to replace those on Berwick that he felt were inaccurate.  Thanks Simon!!

2021 03 09_2516

And now the order has come - with anchors!! I can finish Griffin - that has not been forgotten.

Everyone stay safe and If you have been immunised and I imagine most of you from UK will now have been given our ages, remain cautious.  It's not a 100% guarantee.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Multiple coats pf artists gesso with sanding between really does smooth out the imperfections

That's looking well on the way to  the finished product.....

The video is a brilliant tutorial

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Here's my addition to the discussion on modelling tools...

2021 03 08_2511

Very upmarket, I'm still using a house brick :shrug:

That Razzle Dazzle scheme is going to make your eyes water :hypnotised:

Good to see you working back to the bench

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 2

13 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Here's my addition to the discussion on modelling tools...

And that is why I never throw things out you never know when it will come in handy must be loads of those old irons and other stuff still lying around in peoples houses and garden sheds or used as door stops I have an old cobblers last from my great grandfather it is quite heavy.

Those main guns are something special from Micromaster keep looking at mine to use on York but need to get other stuff out of the way first or I will break my new year resolution.  :shrug:

Stay Safe

beefy

Rob,

There are other photos of Calcutta in this scheme. Here are two of them which should help you get the pattern correct:

Calcutta Suda

Calcutta s

It looks like straight lines to me. Raven does indeed not have it quite right and, as you can see, despite first appearances it was was not a mirror image port/starboard.

Best wishes!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Dick - a HUGE Thankyou for those fabulous pictures :clap2:

Out of the darkness and into the light!  A young boy could not wish for more :thumbsup:

So - in one swoop - I now have correct colour "blocks" for hull. superstructure and Funnels.  And Very clearly Calcutta had splinter shields around her 4" guns similar (or identical) to Cairo.

To quote Chic,"Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa".

I'm in awe of your library, and that's now several gin & tonics (other alcoholic beverages are available) I owe you.

Regards

Rob

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

He can be so hurtful.......:whistle:

Yes and he is retiring soon i do hope he has a plan otherwise he will be a nightmare with nothing else to do but pester people.  :winkgrin:

beefy

• Haha 3

Can anyone identify this C class AA cruiser: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F738590407609001836%2F&psig=AOvVaw2XYHHBlXWLJK5AjSaz-8nQ&ust=1615627301135000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLCT2_K2qu8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE?  Does the photo show Calcutta?

The caption is clearly wrong (Curlew had single 4" guns, this ship has a twin mounting in "A" position).  She has a raised bow (so not Curacoa), a pompom in "B" position (so not Colombo or Caledon), no RDF (so not Carlisle) and the false bow wave is a different shape to that in photos of Cairo - although this could, have course, have been repainted at some point.

6 hours ago, Our Ned said:

Can anyone identify this C class AA cruiser:

For all the goods reasons you list and more I think that the choice for the photo at your link is between Cairo and Calcutta. Of these two I think it is Calcutta. There were minor structural differences between Cairo and Calcutta particularly at A. the profile at the forward end of B gun platform, horizontal on Cairo  (the old blast screen having been largely cut away) v upward sloped on Calcutta (the old blast screen still fitted) and at B. with the two openings on Calcutta but solid on Cairo. 

Calcutta Suda - Copy

Here is a crop from a better quality version of the photo of the mystery ship at your link:

Calcutta 1940 4 ish Norway  - Copy

And here is a crop of the same area on a photo of Cairo showing these differences:

Cairo 1939 a - Copy

• Like 5

Thanks dickrd - I wasn't sure about the blast screen; it's difficult to make out angles on many photos - and I'd not noticed the openings abreast the forefunnel (I thought there was a small compartment inboard of the ship's side, but it turns out that's only on the starboard side - which doesn't have the openings) and I'd not seen a clear view of the port side until you posted the one of her alongside the tanker and Ajax.

On 3/12/2021 at 7:53 AM, robgizlu said:

He can be so hurtful.......:whistle:

On 3/12/2021 at 8:00 AM, beefy66 said:

Yes and he is retiring soon i do hope he has a plan otherwise he will be a nightmare with nothing else to do but pester people.  :winkgrin:

And on that day, Karma will go full circle and bite me...never mess with the big boys :rofl:.

Stuart

• Haha 3

Hi team 

Gutted to find that with Starling Models re-opening the site - The Round Table Class Sir Gareth in 1/350 is out of stock :doh:

Last looked and there were 18 - that's a lesson

If anyone has one that they are willing to part with for a princely sum  please PM me

Thanks

Rob

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi team 

Gutted to find that with Starling Models re-opening the site - The Round Table Class Sir Gareth in 1/350 is out of stock :doh:

Last looked and there were 18 - that's a lesson

If anyone has one that they are willing to part with for a princely sum  please PM me

Thanks

Rob

Don't panic, Rob...

:yikes:

as I did 😉

Let me explain, please. I noticed this fact about month ago and my reaction was - let me confess you - exactly the same. I wrote email to Mike and he answered he has no specific kind of parts for model (PE or metal barrels I don't remember - sorry). That's he suddenly changed status for "out of stock". Anyway he ensured me model will be "in stock"  once again soon as he will receive missing parts. 

And now it's time for

"Zen. Restraint. Patience.” 😉

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Michal - that explains the abrupt drop in numbers as Starling has been shut for much of this year.

I'd rather set my mind on this and have spent some considerable time researching the Class (there's not a lot!)

I'll keep my fingers crossed:(

Sir Kay with an accoustic hammer was in my sights

Rob

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Sir Kay with an accoustic hammer was in my sights

Rob

... and two colours camo?

Me too 😉

Hmt_Sir_Kay_FL4070.jpg

4006.jpg?width=2073&height=1248&id=2e57c

White or gray?

I already ordered a few books...

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1

Michal - Same thought but after looking carefully including at Sir Lamorack - White.

I haven't devided whether there is a blue and a green on the colour blocks?

Rob

14 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Michal - Same thought but after looking carefully including at Sir Lamorack - White.

I haven't devided whether there is a blue and a green on the colour blocks?

Rob

Normal practise for a Western Approaches design seems to have been white (or very light grey) and blue, or white (or very light grey), blue and green. Without evidence to the contrary I'd probably go with white and blue.

• Like 1