HMS Calcutta - C Class Cruiser, Trumpeter 1/350

On 5/25/2021 at 5:57 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Officers' (and Senior Rates) caps were (and still are) a frame over the top of the head, onto which you fit a cover (blue or white).  

I dug out my father's old WW2 vintage cap from the attic this morning. It was all one piece blue with sewn in frame with a removable white cover (rather than a frame onto which a blue or white cover could be fitted): 

cap

• Like 4

RFI now published and here:

So this will be the close down thread.

2021 06 14_2777 (2)

2021 06 14_2817

Summary

Trumpeter C Class Cruiser 1/350

I really liked this kit - fit was near perfect apart from a slightly deformed rear superstructure that the blog covers.  Hull, deck, superstructure and fittings were super.  The guns and boats represent the limits that can be realistically acheived in injection moulding (Flyhawk excepted!).  They are adequate but fall far short of the detail now available from 3D printing.  The only additions were blast screens on all 4" guns that were easily formed from styrene strip and were fitted to most C class wartime vessels.  Curiously the only real omission is deck railings though superstructure railings are included - fit perfectly and frankly do the job.  The bow shear is slighly problematic and the only really appropriate railings I could source to deal with the slight angular raise were Flyhawk, that aren't that readily available.  I'm looking forwards to seeing Trumpeter's HMS Colombo due later this year which represents a later configuration of this venerable WW1 vintage cruiser.  Highly recommended :clap2:

Hunter wood deck

Fits perfectly and to my eye with a light wash of Mig neutral grey - looks acceptable for weathered teak and is more effective than painting.  Highly recommended

Micromaster

What more is there to say.  For me personally Micromaster and Black Cat Models have transformed building in 1/350 (and no doubt 1/700) with a level of detail that really brings these larger scales alive.  Thanks to Simon Percival and Ben Druel for "Services to modelling" - Take a bow fellas :thumbsup:.  Micromaster parts used included 4" guns and lockers, HACS Mk 3+, 27ft whalers and 32 fot cutters (the motorized one is from Micromaster Shapeways and not currently available from Micromaster.co.nz), 0.5" quad guns and 36" searchlights.  Exquisite detail all

Black Cat Models

With a alevel of detail equalling Micromaster, the range is some ways complimentary.  The octuple 2 pdr "Pom pom" is a thing of beauty.  The liferings also add that little bit more detail.  

Painting and Weathering

Soveregn colourcoats paints - what else!!  Love the coverage, vibrancy, ease of use, safe in the near certain knowledge that they represent the closest we are ever going to get to authentic colour matches for the originals.  Weathering is mostly with oils and I now restrict my pallette to no more than 4.  Chipping etc was kept to a minimum as I suspect that these vessels were kept well and painted often in the Eastern Med.

Rigging

Infini 40 and 70 dernier making extensive use of "Bob's buckles".  Lets show that man a hand Ladies and Gents :clap2:

Railings 

Flyhawk 1/350 railing set - as they provide 2 sets of upward curving railings that allow for the bow shear so prominent on the Cairo class 

Seascape

Styrofoam base carved and sanded - with Liquitex Gel medium and varnish "ripples", painted and then rather inexpertly finished with cotton wool foam augmented with AK "water foam" after Chris Flodberg.  I need to improve the cotton wool technique.  Chris says to gloss over with Liquitex "High Gloss Varnish along withthe rest of the base but you seem to lose something - I'll continue to experiment

Name plate

http://www.nameitplates.co.uk/  Paul and Julie provide such excellent plates - couldn't be more helpful when ordering.  Highly recommended 

Thanks for looking - supporting commenting and being such Excellent folk!!!

That's Calcutta .......Out

Rob

• Like 14