HMS Calcutta - C Class Cruiser, Trumpeter 1/350

10 minutes ago, longshanks said:

an emphatic Yes :drunk:   🍹  🍸

I think that means YES to both any excuse to start the weekend early.  :drink:

Cracking work so far Rob that Camo is looking the dogs bits  :dog:

Would you happen to be able to recommend any good reference source for RN heavy cruisers York and Exeter they may be appearing soon.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Our Ned said:

How countershading was to be applied varied with different types of camouflage - and specifications were by no means always followed! RN schemes are discussed at https://www.shipcamouflage.com/3_7.htm et seq.

Thanks Ned

When I read this statement Underside - Pom-Pom decks, other gun platforms and other horizontal projections. What I mean to understand ?

I assume it means that in the shadowed area (below the Pom-Pom mounting deck), all of the vertical surfaces are painted white (instead of 507c say) all the way down to the deck to lighten the shadowed area in a sit on view. Is my understanding correct or am I reading too much into this.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

'but would you be able to see that from any distance ?' 

Often wondered that myself, but period pics don't show the sort of variation on vertical surfaces that would be visible.

If you zoom in on the pic in this link you can just make out the countershading on the bottom of the bridge overhang (behind some sort of box in the forward port corner).

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205120461

I'm wondering why there's a 'C' marked on the  pom-pom shields? (For 'Carlisle'?)

Tom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Geoff, A couple of pics above show the boot-topping and a slatish grey antifoul.  It was easier to reverse mask than paint the boot -topping after and risk the camo "lifting".

Gidday, yeah, found it. I missed that somehow. The lower masking tape makes sense now. I wish I could get one of these in 1/600 scale. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I think that means YES to both any excuse to start the weekend early.  :drink:

Cracking work so far Rob that Camo is looking the dogs bits  :dog:

Would you happen to be able to recommend any good reference source for RN heavy cruisers York and Exeter they may be appearing soon.

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks Beefy

Shout about what you need exactly - PM me - I have the Raven and Friedman Cruiser books.

In truth I have found the Profile Morskie pamphlet really helpful for Calcutta and they are still available for Exeter - separte titles fr 1939 and 1942 and fro York.

I'll check schemes in Warship Perspectives - which one are you doing first?

15 hours ago, Nick B said:

Thanks Ned

When I read this statement Underside - Pom-Pom decks, other gun platforms and other horizontal projections. What I mean to understand ?

I assume it means that in the shadowed area (below the Pom-Pom mounting deck), all of the vertical surfaces are painted white (instead of 507c say) all the way down to the deck to lighten the shadowed area in a sit on view. Is my understanding correct or am I reading too much into this.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick 

I've spent most of the last couple of years in maritime modelling around Coastal Forces rather than Capital ships.  

Here's an example of white countershading typical of Coastal Forces, I too am uncertain as to just how far this was followed on larger ships and for what time period.  My understanding is that when you operated in low light conditions, dawn, dusk moonlight etc that this reduced shadow and made it harder to "fix" the veseels 

Scan0056MTB 73

You'll see that the torp tubes, cowl bents upper hull and orelikon platform are all countershaded.

I think determining whether this appears on larger ships is going to be down to metculous examination of specific wartime photos of each particualr vessel.

13 hours ago, Modelholic said:

'but would you be able to see that from any distance ?' 

Often wondered that myself, but period pics don't show the sort of variation on vertical surfaces that would be visible.

If you zoom in on the pic in this link you can just make out the countershading on the bottom of the bridge overhang (behind some sort of box in the forward port corner).

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205120461

I'm wondering why there's a 'C' marked on the  pom-pom shields? (For 'Carlisle'?)

Tom

I have no better explanation Tom.  Thanks for pointing it out - that'll need including in the build ;)

9 hours ago, RGL said:

Great build. Makes it a very tempting possibility 

Thanks Greg.

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, yeah, found it. I missed that somehow. The lower masking tape makes sense now. I wish I could get one of these in 1/600 scale. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Geoff - why dont you give the 1/350 version a go - it's not too big, and it's a nice base kit 

Rob

• Like 4

On 15/03/2021 at 22:33, robgizlu said:

I've previously ued "Klear" to attach them

I’ve been using fast set pva, it’s worked so far and seems to be a good bond.

Jon

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

which one are you doing first?

Cheers Rob most likely it will be York first as she was built on the Tyne but still need to check out a few things for the shopping list.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I’ve been using fast set pva, it’s worked so far and seems to be a good bond.

Jon

PVA definitely works Jon and you can also dilute it with water - though  it's more likely to leave a residue around the circumference than Klear which amazingly tends to evaporate (much cleaner at small scales)

Rob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Geoff - why dont you give the 1/350 version a go - it's not too big, and it's a nice base kit 

Gidday Rob, nearly all my ships are Airfix 1/600 (a couple of Revell 1/570) and I would prefer to stay in that scale for a few reasons. By staying in the same scale all ships can easily be compared to others, I have limited money to buy models in 1/350, limited room to display them and very limited skill to get the best from them. I have a few in 1/700 but although I think they have better detail than my Airfix models I found them a bit small and fiddly to build. 

I wish to try scratch building hulls soon, and if I can do them to an OK standard this will increase my scope considerably. But thank you for your interest and the suggestion. Good luck with this build, I'm enjoying it and I think the camo is very eye-catching.    Regards, Jeff.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Nick 

I've spent most of the last couple of years in maritime modelling around Coastal Forces rather than Capital ships.  

Here's an example of white countershading typical of Coastal Forces, I too am uncertain as to just how far this was followed on larger ships and for what time period.  My understanding is that when you operated in low light conditions, dawn, dusk moonlight etc that this reduced shadow and made it harder to "fix" the veseels 

Scan0056MTB 73

You'll see that the torp tubes, cowl bents upper hull and orelikon platform are all countershaded.

I think determining whether this appears on larger ships is going to be down to metculous examination of specific wartime photos of each particualr vessel.

Rob thanks. It certainly makes a lot of sense on the smaller vessels. I don't know if you're interested in (and therefore seen) Mike Starmer's self published series on UK Army vehicle camo schemes in WW2. Its surprising, but early war UK camo schemes were given a lot of thought and counter shading was frequently used as well (although there aren't a lot of photos which survived). I suspect if it was included as Admiralty standard practice (or in the painting contract for each vessel) its likely to be very common early on in schemes during in the war. Perhaps less so where commercial yards were involved.

Edited by Nick B
  • Like 1

Hi Nick - well aware of Mike Starmer and have several of his publications, i come from an AFV modelling background.  Agree entrirely.

With the hull camo demarcation settled - work can begin on aligning the camo with the superstructure 

2021 03 28_2570

2021 03 28_2571

You can see that the "Wood hunter" wood deck has been laid.  Perfect fit and faultless lay-down.  Nxt step will be to dull it down with a wash.

The single area that is not well represented on the availbale photos is the aft superstructure.  The Camo here is an educated guess rather than "transcription".

2021 03 28_2572

So this now represents my best efforts to replicate the Camo scheme from the avalable photographs.  Faults and omissions are necessarily all mine :whistle:

2021 03 28_2561

2021 03 28_2569

2021 03 28_2568

2021 03 28_2567

2021 03 28_2563

2021 03 28_2566

It's a terrific scheme and curiously First World War, as befitting the heritage of this vessel.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 25

Awesome paint job there Rob.

But wait.................

On 3/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, robgizlu said:

Scan0056MTB 73

A Vosper 😱 ........... I am now starting to feel very guilty wrt neglecting mine of late!

Cue some sort of remark from @Courageous ........ 3...2....1............

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the Comments guys.

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

I have no room to talk Terry. I have been trying to clear builds but it's looking almost like a gap year.

Stuart

It gets that way sometimes Stuart - hang in there - it will be good to see you back building here when it happens

So today was bending etch day - I checked - it's in all the calenders :rolleyes:

2021 04 06_2641

2021 04 06_2642

I've found that a socket set is a bonus as you choose the diameter bit you need to roll the etch against - ideally smaller than the diamter you are aiming for...

2021 04 06_2645

2021 04 06_2636

The surrounds for the searchlight platforms are from a White ensign Models Etch ladders set

The Gun director tower supports need to be carefully glued to the deck itself to ensure that it's level

2021 04 06_2644

2021 04 06_2637

And then onto priming - I've tried to get as many detail pieces done as possible to make this an efficent  build :whistle:  

2021 04 06_2638

This is my 3rd set of 4" guns in the last 9/12.  When I got them out of the little cardboard cots that Simon send them in -for some reason the barrels were distorted havving been pressed against the sides, I suppose.  I tried bendign them with a tweezers - without much succes and so planned to either use some metal barrels or even the kit's plastic ones.  That was several weeks ago.  When i came to fix them to the turrets today - they had straightened all of their own :)  which was nice unlike me snapping the metal cable of my rowing machine today which wasn't :boom:

2021 04 06_2640 2021 04 06_2639

Not an awful lot to show for a days modelling.

However to digress slightly, I have @Modelholic to thank for a reference to "Proud Waters" by Ewart Brookes in Jamie Duff's Sir Gareth WIP.  It intrigued me and I've started collecting second hand books on minesweepers and the Naval Patrol service

2021 04 06_2643

I've just finished "Proud Waters" and thought it was actually rather marvellous and well written.  Thanks Tom!  With Starling models releasing a Bangor Class sweeper and an Algerine on the way to Chez Matthews - I think you can all see where this is going.  And talking of which I'm going to fly this here as I'm never really certain how many of you look in the "Maritime discussion by Era" section.  I posted this picture at the W/E musing as to colours.

BYMS2182

It's a Royal Navy BYMS (US Lend-lease) "2182" and it's history is remarkably well documented such that the photo is likely to have been taken from Dec 1943 to Jan 1945.  She served at D-day.  Since I published the thread in the martime discussion section I've found a profile in C.B 3098 "The Camouflage of Ships at Sea 1943", (page 96 if you are interested) that indicates that this was an "intermediate" type scheme for the BYMS ships.  This is the only photo I've ben able to find of this particular scheme, and surprisngly there are quite  lot of photos of these vessels.

The Admiralty plate/ Sovereign profile indicates G20 at bow, then the central band of colour as G10 with the aft band being G20 again against a background of G45. 

In this photo I'm certainly happy that the hull  is G45, and the white mast validates that.  However I'm tempted to feel that the first 2 blocks of colour from bow aft are the SAME and that the aft diagnoal band is different and darker.

I'm tending to G20 /G20/G10 over G45 (Funnel and superstructure being G20) .  Interested to know your thoughts (Mine have already changed since the W/E :fool:)

Either way expect this soon in 1/350

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 7