Masking Aircraft Tinted Glass

McG

Any tips for preventing the clear paint representing tinted glass of a canopy from lifting once I then add the Eduard canopy mask over the painted section? 

This is for the blue/green tinted glass of an F-14 front windscreen. 

Haven't tried this yet but have a similar concern for my current F-14 build so I was actually going to try and do things in reverse order (so to speak) - mask the canopy as normal and prime and paint the frame then once completely dry, mask around the frame that surrounds the glass to be tinted (using the residual masking tape that surrounded the original window mask) so that only the latter is exposed and 'then' airbrush/paint the tint. Once dry, carefully remove the masks and 'hopefully' a nice crisp tint in the midst of a nice crisp frame. Well that's the theory at least :wink:

That could work. 

My plan is to spray a heavily thinned clear blue/green coat and let it dry for 24 hrs. 

Then detac the mask before applying and prime and finish accordingly.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:17 PM, lasermonkey said:

Paint the inside of the canopy?

this is the answer. clear color inside, mask outside, don't have to worry about it. 

unless you were also planning on masking the inside of the canopy. In that case, wait until the clear paint has had an extended opportunity to cure. then detack the tape as much as you can, where it will still stay in place while you airbrush.

I think a water based liquid mask might work (Mr Masking Sol R) which can be soaked off afterward or Parafilm M which is just wax, no adhesive

Cheers

Colin