BKS Douglas Dakota

This model was completed a wee while ago using Humbrol rattle cans. It's the old Esci Eastern Airways issue that comes with a set of passenger seats. The decals were from S&M. Built pretty much out of the box nothing complicated. Finding my camera tripod gave me the excuse to dust it off and take some snaps.

BKS Air transport took its name from the first letters of the Three directors, Barnaby, Kegan and Stevens. The company operated from the 1950's through to the early 1970s when its name was changed to Northeast prior to being fully absorbed into British Airways.

G-AMVC was an ex RAF Dakota. Sadly she crashed on the 17Th of October 1961 with the loss of Four crew South East of Crosby on Eden (Carlisle) airfield.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by jyguy
Typo
  • Like 37

That is really nice. It's well over 20 years since I built the Esci Eastern Airways kit (or anything else in 1/72) but in the right hands it turns into a fine model. I don't remember the dropped flaps in the kit. Did you do them yourself?

:goodjob:

Dave G

• Thanks 1

Thank you all. I am somewhat overwhelmed by the positive comments. I'll try varying the shades silver used on any future builds, Though the next Dakota planned is white and grey either G-AMCA or 'NAF in the Atlantique coloured bands scheme from the early 80's.

Regarding the Flaps Alex their a kit option, I did have to add a strip of plasticard to cover the gap where the wing centre section goes onto with the fuselage. Very sharp noticing the control locks.

Edited by jyguy
spelling.

4 hours ago, jyguy said:

Hi Goggsy,

Thank you for the post and pictures. 

I guess due to the remoteness of the location most of the wreckage was buried on site. A poignant reminder of the accident.

It's likely to be, yes. Even now it's quite inaccessible. There's a shooters track nearby but I suspect it wasn't there at the time. Apparently the local farmer who's land it is was supposed to be on the plane for a trip to an agricultural show somewhere- it was chartered especially for that purpose. When it didn't turn up he went home to find the police waiting for him to ask for his help to access the site. 

There's a lot of scarring and disturbance on the hillside to this day, some of which may be due to the crash. There may well be stuff buried under the surface as when you walk through the heather you can often feel metallic scrunching. It's not easy to find but if you want an OS grid reference send me a pm- its nowhere near where certain books say it is. 

• Like 1