kv canopy masks

kitman

• 3 weeks later...

I have been wondering about the same. I have one 1/72 mask for Airfix P-40b, but haven't used it yet. There's no information or reviews, at least I couldn't find any. But then I made a google search in Russian, and used the translator to read some  scale model forum. The company owner wrote the following:

"Good day, comrades Modelists!

On the Internet, I found a topic for discussing the product I was creating and decided to try to help you deal with the questions that arise.

For questions about the material of which the masks are made:

1. Black film - ORACAL 641 - has not been used for masks for a long time.

2. Currently we use ORAMASK 810 (gray-green) and ORACAL 620 (white) films.

! - by leaving marks on the lantern. Masks made of any material can leave a glue mark.

In my application experience, I have identified what is best to avoid. After applying the masks to the glazing, it is highly discouraged to wipe these places with alcohol, or a solvent, that is, everything that can come into contact with the adhesive base of the masks. Usually such actions are performed before painting.

! - it is possible to wash the model with glued masks, no glue will remain on the glasses, it is checked. I washed the painted model myself with masks glued on with soap and a toothbrush, there is also such an experience.

One message cannot describe everything, please contact us with questions and even complaints, if any, I will try to answer and help"

I didn't quite understand the last bit about washing the painted model, why would you do it. That oracal 641 seems to something that sticks very hard and can leave residue,  pmask maybe uses that. They at least leave often residue and stick really well. Montex has a tendency to lift. They are also black but don't seem to leave as much residue. 

Aml camouflaged masks are oramask 810, just found out that. They don't stick so well to the bumps and raised details on a models, otherwise they are ok. I think you could even used them more than once, haven't tried that though. I'm afraid that all manufacturers have some masks that are more precise, some that are awful. Just used Eduard's masks for P-40E wheels, it's annoying when they don't fit and you have repaint the parts.