Space Sweepers

Will Vale

If anyone fancies some gonzo sci-fi with cool space ships there's a Korean film called Space Sweepers on Netflix at the moment.

So far, it's a lot better than The Wandering Earth :) And the ships have a nice blocky feel to them.

Will

• Like 3

Watched about 15 minutes of it this morning.... not great, to be honest. Thought it was yet another case of "Nice special-FX, shame about the script". The spaceships look very good. The English over-dubbing didn't help at all, but the performances seemed pretty over-the-top and a little silly. The chatty robot was pretty annoying, too. Also, it had a distinct "Episode 2" kinda feel - like it assumed you had knowledge that you didn't possess. 

I might give it another go, when I'm more in the mood.

Chris

PS: Interestingly, the trailer has the original-language dialogue, but the series is largely dubbed into English.    

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.

That's interesting, the version I watched was thoroughly multilingual - some characters spokes English, some Korean, etc.

I thought it was actually pretty good. A bit over the top, like the difference between HK cinema and western cinema. But fun. Even the weird robot grew on me.

The villain was pretty terrible though. Like the typical bad actor rent-an-English-person from all those '80s HK action films.

Will