Swift FR.5 - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Is this a new tool? It looks it but judging by your endeavors thus far it seems older. The pilot and tub look the part 

and I’m sure you’ll peg the little blighter into submission. 😇

I’ll pull up a milk crate. 

Johnny.  😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Crikey, Ced, this is looking fiddly! Given the amount of time it takes me to get anything done, I'm rapidly going off the idea of a Swift! However, I've no doubt you will conquer this particular mountain with your customary aplomb!

Kind regards,

Mark

Fiddly Mark but, I hope, worth it! :) 

11 hours ago, Properjob56 said:

this is bringing back bad memories....and you've still got to find room for noseweight...and find the right place for the nose light. I also found not cementing the tub to the nose bay helpful.

11 hours ago, Properjob56 said:

Just seen you have found a place for the nose light...as I did and then found it wouldn't work and had to take it out again!

Thanks Proper :) I'll be building wheels up so that I can hang her from the ceiling so no need for weight.

I did dry fit the light several times and it is a tight fit!

More details on WK198 from the Tangmere website:

On 22nd September 1953, Mike Lithgow, Supermarine’s chief test pilot, took off in Swift F4 WK198 from the company’s airfield at Chilbolton bound for Tripoli, Libya. Three days later, four successful low-level runs were achieved over the North African desert resulting in an average speed of 735.7 mph and a new World Airspeed Record – thereby wresting from Neville Duke the record established in Hunter WB188 just 18 days earlier. These were heady days – it was little more than a week later that Lieutenant Commander James Verdin USN took the record to the United States with a speed of 753 mph while flying a Douglas Skyray.

Great stuff.

I watched 'The Sound Barrier' yesterday - great film.

1952 - Crikey, it’s older than me!

Paid my money on Amazon and the flipping film doesn’t even fill the screen!

It's a BFI restoration though so great quality, even if it is B&W.

• Like 2

Ooops, missed the new page, sorry chaps!

11 hours ago, Leonl said:

Erm might I quietly take a seat at the back.... I have snacks..

Welcome Leon :)

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It looks like you’ve got a “ Friday afternoon” job there Ced, I know the feeling. I’d still like one in 1/48 though.

John

Not too bad John - I've had 'new Airfix' like this before where the tight design tolerances are messed up by poor moulding.

Easy to resolve if one is careful - I'm really highlighting potential issues for future builders…

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Is this a new tool? It looks it but judging by your endeavors thus far it seems older. The pilot and tub look the part 

and I’m sure you’ll peg the little blighter into submission. 😇

I’ll pull up a milk crate. 

Johnny.  😀

Thanks Johnny :) 

Yep, 2015 new tool according to Scalemates.

• Like 3

This is turning into a bit of an epic - sorry chaps.

I'll take this time to say that I'm sure the design of the kit works well IF accurately moulded AND before you put any paint on.

Trouble is I only know that NOW!

The assembly means that you end up with a tub, that may be 'oversized' due to moulding, which fits into a fuselage that has sloping sides so the tendency is for the parts to slip down into the fuselage.

I think.

The designers have tried to reduce errors with precise locating points, especially on the sidewalls, but the slightest bit of excess plastic and the whole thing goes pear shaped.

Where am I now? 

Let's see…

Yesterday I sanded the end of the 'pit to remove this:

50922473942_7aa96452a6_z.jpg

That gave me this:

50924569968_1d0f589ca6_z.jpg

You can see 'the theory' can't you? 

Those big locating lugs on the bottom of the sidewalls should locate those properly front-to-back.

The 'U' shape join between that and the wheel bay should hold the 'pit in the right location, then, when you slide it in to one fuselage side, the 'backrest' and i/p should locate perfectly and make the whole thing rigid.

Trouble is, any paint on the backrest (can you see it) and/or any fuzzy moulding (look at the top sidewall locating 'U') means the whole thing is 'out of shape'.

Can you see how the join between the tub and the wheel bay is 'bent'? And that's what is supposed to locate the tub correctly.

It also seems to encourage the tub to drop, especially when fitting the other fuselage half, even when the glue is dry (I think). Maybe that's why you're supposed to glue that first :shrug:

I think if you cleaned off all the excess plastic first (if you could see it), avoided painting the joins and dry-fitted again (and again) you might achieve what the designers idea.

Shame, but there you are.

For me I sanded and dry fitted again and again until I got this:

50925258231_d5487c3f6d_z.jpg

50925259041_436e8710ed_z.jpg

You might notice that, during this process, the pilot bailed out.

Gave me a chance to paint him the correct (I hope) colour (see here).

50925394277_49f178c9e6_z.jpg

Encouraged now, I dry-fitted the join up:

50925259886_78a5e520a9_z.jpg

50924577188_d55aa5ba27_z.jpg

Something is forcing the fuselage apart behind the tub:

50925265291_5f15fe733b_z.jpg

I fitted the exhaust bit, flooded the tub joins with TET and clamped it up:

50925418387_c226bffeca_z.jpg

We'll see later.

• Like 16

Looks like this one is putting up a fight with you, Ced :fight: But you will prevail :)  :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
keyboard cannibalism...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John, Mark, Ian and T-21 - getting there :) 

I thought the trunking had fitted pretty well until the wings wouldn't go on snugly :( 

50925346218_062c71d293_z.jpg

OK, excess plastic hunt:

50926163447_a1f16c5e4e_n.jpg 50925354603_8cca3720d0_n.jpg

With the wings dry-fitted I could then try to close the top seam:

50926221537_147aaf2d50_z.jpg

Almost there, but not quite.

Right, time for some more sprue gloop:

50926207242_37982d84b5_z.jpg

Looks like a tribute to the Beckhams.

I already had the thick stuff which is good for big gaps but I'd like some that 'almost flows' into gaps, like the one in the Swift.

We'll see if it works tomorrow…

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Beard said:

I have a Swift due to arrive on Thursday. Seeing your trials and tribulations, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought it.

I had one in my eBay watch list.....it's not there any more :winkgrin:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Beard said:

I have a Swift due to arrive on Thursday. Seeing your trials and tribulations, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought it.

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I had one in my eBay watch list.....it's not there any more :winkgrin:

Come now, chaps. Are we not modellers? Part of the fun is the styrene mangling, surely.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, CedB said:

I thought the trunking had fitted pretty well until the wings wouldn't go on snugly :( 

50925346218_062c71d293_z.jpg

Hai caramba! :yikes:

55 minutes ago, CedB said:

Looks like a tribute to the Beckhams.

:rofl2:

• Like 1

The Swift is a bit of a curate egg and I  found it required patience and a willingness to engage in problem solving. 

I have not built the kit as intended, but had a bit 'fun' with it. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 3

Dunno how I managed to miss the start of your latest epic Ced, but at least I got here before you'd finished!

I had both one of these and an xtrakit one. Sold the latter thinking the Airfix would be an easier build. Hmmmm....

Thing with a lot of 'new' Airfix kits is they seem to be consistently inconsistent with fit issues - I'm just at the decalling stage of a 48th Gnat which I found to be a horrible thing to build with awful fit issues but two of my model club mates built theirs with no fit problems at all. And both of them had built an Airfix 48th Lynx when it came out, one went together beautifully, the other went in the bin as the fit issues were so bad....

Anyways, you seem to be getting the better of the thing!

Keith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Dunno how I managed to miss the start of your latest epic Ced, but at least I got here before you'd finished!

I had both one of these and an xtrakit one. Sold the latter thinking the Airfix would be an easier build. Hmmmm....

Thing with a lot of 'new' Airfix kits is they seem to be consistently inconsistent with fit issues - I'm just at the decalling stage of a 48th Gnat which I found to be a horrible thing to build with awful fit issues but two of my model club mates built theirs with no fit problems at all. And both of them had built an Airfix 48th Lynx when it came out, one went together beautifully, the other went in the bin as the fit issues were so bad....

Anyways, you seem to be getting the better of the thing!

Keith

Curiously enough I didn't have any fit issues with my Airfix Swift.  The only 'new' Airfix moulding I've had major problems with was the 1/72 Blenheim Mk.1 (which almost got binned) and yet I've read others on Britmodeller saying how nicely theirs went together.

• Like 2

What I have found and I think Ced has mentioned is that the new Airfix kits are generally well engineered, but that the moulding leaves something to be desired. Certainly they need a lot of dry fitting as even tiny amounts of flash or mould lines can throw the fit out to a surprising degree. I am currently building the Gladiator and so far it has gone together well, but the forward fuselage was not an easy fit. The rear fuselage went together well, but forward of the cockpit didn't line up at all. I cemented the rear fuselage together and once dry strongarmed the front fuselage into place and suddenly it lined up and fitted, although it needed clamping until the cement cured, the whole fuselage seems square and the lower wing went on with no real problems. 

I am sure Ced will manfully wrestle the Swift to the ground and it will submit to his will. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1