Swift FR.5 - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Trying for a 'straightforward build' I picked the new Airfix Swift from the stash.

There are quite a few RFIs of this on the forum but few WiPs. I did find this partial one from Kiwikitbasher warning of the fit problems so I'll study that later.

Some pics of the part trees as usual.

50908798772_93afc9ff83_z.jpg

50907973693_837dda3581_z.jpg

50907975233_67b2137bbf_z.jpg

50908803037_bed0c99035_z.jpg

Nice details with some flash and delicate parts (fnaar!)

50907978023_c09eb19554_z.jpg

One thing I don't like about the new instructions is the option boxes. You can see that there is a choice of two parts but there's no explanation why you should choose one or the other. Like these seat bits:

50908806107_4916cc7a14_z.jpg

Maybe one is if you want to fit the pilot and the… wait, there's no pilot! WHAAAAAT! Airfix what's going on???

Clear parts:

50908807577_67c40f6a9c_z.jpg

Transfers:

50907983953_1e5ec64d86_z.jpg

Stencils. Lots of stencils. UGH.

I know nothing about the Swift but I think I'll build the PRU Blue on the bottom version.

Any pointers appreciated!

• Like 23

I'll follow along as well, if I may - like Simon, I've been thinking about snapping up one of these, even though it's a bit outside my usual fare.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, but

43 minutes ago, CedB said:

the PRU Blue on the bottom version

? Fnaar! :D 

• Haha 2

Well I'm getting plenty of lockdown exercise just sprinting between Ced builds!

Looking forward to this. Funny (to me) that they did the Swift and not the Scimitar, although I guess the Xtrakit was a factor. We can't tempt you to do a shiny silver version? Although I guess that would be appropriate to an earlier mark...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

OK if I pull up a pew? I'll be looking forward to this as I've got a couple of these on the go at the moment. Saying that, I mean that they've moved off the top of the pending pile. They have had the boxes opened and are currently being ogled at, or as I call it, the research stage😊. This latter stage bemuses the Mistress of the Blue Horizon, who blames this stage for nothing getting done. She can be so harsh! 

Good luck with your build. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before I had a problem with the final varnish coat, I'd virtually finished mine a month or so ago.

The problem I had was that when it came to closing the fuselage up there were a number of sub assemblies that had to be carefully positioned and weight to be added to the nose area. I didn't manage it so made some compromises such as taking out the front light piece and using Krystal Kleer. YMMV.

I've managed to sort the varnish issue so mine will be making a reappearance shortly. I too went with the PRU undersides. Its quite a beast when finished! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I'll be following, if that's okay, because I've got a bit of a yearning for a Swift.

PS. This will be worth reading, if you want a primer on the Swift:  https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/swift/history.php

Thanks Simon - great reference and background :) 

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'll follow along as well, if I may - like Simon, I've been thinking about snapping up one of these, even though it's a bit outside my usual fare.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, but

? Fnaar! :D 

:D

I've extended my theme a bit to include 'early jets'… that's my excuse!

Welcome Lewis, Giorgio, Pete, Chris and Ben - good to see you :) 

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Well I'm getting plenty of lockdown exercise just sprinting between Ced builds!

Looking forward to this. Funny (to me) that they did the Swift and not the Scimitar, although I guess the Xtrakit was a factor. We can't tempt you to do a shiny silver version? Although I guess that would be appropriate to an earlier mark...

Regards,

Adrian

I'd like a Scimitar, sometime. I guess they've been taking their scanner around the museums… Yeovilton soon?

Fingers crossed :) 

8 minutes ago, Properjob56 said:

Before I had a problem with the final varnish coat, I'd virtually finished mine a month or so ago.

The problem I had was that when it came to closing the fuselage up there were a number of sub assemblies that had to be carefully positioned and weight to be added to the nose area. I didn't manage it so made some compromises such as taking out the front light piece and using Krystal Kleer. YMMV.

I've managed to sort the varnish issue so mine will be making a reappearance shortly. I too went with the PRU undersides. Its quite a beast when finished! 

I saw that post - horrid! I've got the guidance from the post linked above so I'll be careful :) 

Soon.

• Like 2

As always I’m following. It has dawned on me that lately I’m either scratchbuilding or doing Airfix kits. Will have to diversify my stash usage ( I suppose the Me109 gob will do that for me as the kits I’ve organised so far are Heller, KP and Revell with only two Airfix ones) 

Still I do find latter Airfix stuff goes together well and usually makes for a bit of a modelling palate cleanser, so to speak.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

As always I’m following. It has dawned on me that lately I’m either scratchbuilding or doing Airfix kits. Will have to diversify my stash usage ( I suppose the Me109 gob will do that for me as the kits I’ve organised so far are Heller, KP and Revell with only two Airfix ones) 

Still I do find latter Airfix stuff goes together well and usually makes for a bit of a modelling palate cleanser, so to speak.

I could do with a palate cleanser - thanks Mark :) 

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Love the look of the Swift so I'll take a seat if I may?

Stay safe           Roger

Of course, welcome Roger :) 

Seat assembled and dry fitted to the floor for pilot selection:

50911869336_86acf2328b_z.jpg

He'll do.

He's had his helmet lumps sanded off (oooer) and a coat of Ratskin, drying along with some internal bits:

50912081257_14eb80b4c7_z.jpg

• Like 13

I had issues joining the fuselage together seems the nosewheel bay is too wide or needs some shaving in the roof . Dry fit before glueing.

• Thanks 1

I’ll tag along too if I may as I have one in my stash so would like to see how it comes together. 🙂 Bit of a bugger about the pilot, or lack of, though but Airfix seem to be doing this recently.

• Like 1

Swift?

And this is news?

All your builds are bloody swift Ced!

When are you going to scratch build a Blackburn Leisurely or an Avro Prevaricator so that I can keep up with you? 😁

• Haha 7

23 hours ago, Brandy said:

Interesting choice Ced. Well outside my area of interest but you can't go wrong with an early jet. Sea Hawk next?

Ian

On the edge of my interest too Ian (apart from 'specials'), although I seem to be drifting into the 50s…

23 hours ago, T-21 said:

I had issues joining the fuselage together seems the nosewheel bay is too wide or needs some shaving in the roof . Dry fit before glueing.

Thanks T-21. Unusually for new Airfix there seem to be numerous fit issues, some described in Kiwikitbasher's build but, see below, more to come!

I'll be very careful I think.

5 hours ago, Timmas said:

I’ll tag along too if I may as I have one in my stash so would like to see how it comes together. 🙂 Bit of a bugger about the pilot, or lack of, though but Airfix seem to be doing this recently.

Welcome Timmas - I'll try to point out the pitfalls as I go.

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Page 1 yeah! I've always liked the Swift, it looks like it should have been better than it actually was. It seems to be well engineered, I do hope that Airfix scale it up to 1/48 sometime soon.

John

Welcome John - Supermarine looks it has, very clean lines.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Swift?

And this is news?

All your builds are bloody swift Ced!

When are you going to scratch build a Blackburn Leisurely or an Avro Prevaricator so that I can keep up with you? 😁

Thanks Tony :D 

2 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Built a couple of these in the past but not properly OOB so far so will follow to see if I can pick up some tips

48063538287_f75f14e15b_c.jpg

50914984217_b5d5f8bfb4_b.jpg

Gondor

Welcome Gondor - do chip in with any problems you found and hopefully I can avoid them!

• Like 1

Things internals are ready to put together:

50914369998_7ede75a666_z.jpg

The transfers for the sidewall instruments are a nightmare - either the transfer is too big or the shelf is too small. Not much will be seen anyway so ho hum.

It looks like the sidewalls should be more bent - pegs required to get the shape:

50915362932_e3e28f1aed_z.jpg

Can you see the gate vestige on the lower sidewall, just behind the pilot's shoulder? I've cleaned off the other side but that will have to come off too.

A (probably final) view of the internals with the back of the wheel bay painted:

50915375627_4cede4388b_z.jpg

The instructions don't tell you to paint the joystick or any part of the gunsight so the latter has been left clear.

Probably wrong?

While that's drying I cut off the fuselage halves to test the fit before the other bits go in.

Hmmm.

If you get the tailpipe and fin aligned:

50915277526_9a4d3168ae_z.jpg

…the rest of the fuselage:

50914593863_dca3244b13_z.jpg

Oh dear.

I've found with other new Airfix that if you wiggle the bits (oooer) they sometimes click together perfectly.

Not so with this one:

50915410202_7c7205b047_z.jpg

Look at that gap along the spine!

And that's after I carefully removed all the gate vestiges and excess plastic.

I'll have another look.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

Oooh, look, see that extra plastic around the locating hole?

50914681958_bbc823c0f6_z.jpg

Could that be it?

Sanded it off and, er, no.

I've now dry fitted the wing halves (nice fit), wiggled it into shape and I'll leave it like this:

50915420981_7a58af0540_z.jpg

Hopefully the plastic fairies will sort it overnight.

• Like 12

That pilot looks rather fabulous and thanks for the warning about the fit (I have a Swift on it's way to me, by 2nd class post - so not so swift).

A question: do the side panels and instrument panel have raised details? (I can't make out if they have, or not, on my phone after five pints and an Espresso Martini).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I've always liked the Swift, it looks like it should have been better than it actually was.

Well, it took the World airspeed record - so it was actually pretty good....🙂

• Like 1