Pocher K74 1935 Mercedes 500K

Jnkm13

Hi guys,

It has been a few years since I've posted on this forum. I'm currently building this Pocher kit, and through my emails with Larchiefeng, I figured it's best for me to do a build log here to get some feedback on the build.

The engine has been completed, and the body and fenders have been tested mounted on. All of this was done with the help from Paul Koo's DVD. 

The body will be painted red, with cream interiors. Here are some photos of my progress so far.

20210204_225452

20210204_225440

20210204_225422

20210204_225418

20210204_225407

Sides of the engine are opened up to show the pistons.

20210204_225351

I have inserted a square styrene into the header. I am using the original Pocher pipes and they wouldn't really fit into the round headers.

I'll post more as I progress.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jnkm13 said:

If there is any admin reading this, can you please delete this double post? The first time I posted, there was an error which said post was not successful. Then double postings appeared. Thanks.

Merged them to keep the views etc. :)

Jeremy, great looking work so far and novel idea to open the block. Great to have a new Pocher classic build appear.

If you look at my pinned Rolls Royce thread at top of this page, you will find on the last page or two that I am posting a 540K build by Dave Cox. I tell of many of the advanced techniques he uses and what the kit trouble spots are. More will be coming to its completion.

Great to see your car here./C

Looking very nice, Jeremy.

I like the idea of opening up the block. I also see a lot of piping added to and around the block.

Will be following you closely, if you don’t mind.

Jeremy, I’m glad that you decided to post your build here. You will find that you will get a lot of good advice and tips from a lot of very skilled model makers here on the forum. Pocher builds always seem to generate interest now, more than ever because there just aren’t enough on the forum. I’m particularly guilty in that, I have not posted anything since last June. I’m looking back at my notes regarding the hood for you. I also used piano hinges in place of the kit hinges. I’ll get back to you on that. Welcome to the forum!

15 hours ago, Codger said:

Jeremy, great looking work so far and novel idea to open the block. Great to have a new Pocher classic build appear.

If you look at my pinned Rolls Royce thread at top of this page, you will find on the last page or two that I am posting a 540K build by Dave Cox. I tell of many of the advanced techniques he uses and what the kit trouble spots are. More will be coming to its completion.

Great to see your car here./C

14 hours ago, Pouln said:

Looking very nice, Jeremy.

I like the idea of opening up the block. I also see a lot of piping added to and around the block.

Will be following you closely, if you don’t mind.

14 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

Jeremy, I’m glad that you decided to post your build here. You will find that you will get a lot of good advice and tips from a lot of very skilled model makers here on the forum. Pocher builds always seem to generate interest now, more than ever because there just aren’t enough on the forum. I’m particularly guilty in that, I have not posted anything since last June. I’m looking back at my notes regarding the hood for you. I also used piano hinges in place of the kit hinges. I’ll get back to you on that. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks guys. I have alot to learn from all of you. I have posted some WIP years back for my 1/12 Mefistofele, Fiat 806 and Bentley Blower. But once all of those were wiped out thanks to Photobucket, I stopped posting.

I will be getting some hex rods from MMC to mount most of the parts (I got this tip from Codger's RR build). Will I also need 2mm nuts or will the Pocher's nuts work?

With the body now in place, I can see that the doors are fine, but this is before I have the leather on. It's the hood that will be the main concern and I doubt I can get the hood flush unless I have the body and fenders set in position.

For the hood, the 2 top pieces will be hinged using Pocher's hinges. Then I will use piano hinge to mount one side of the hood and use neodymium magnets on the side panels. The magnets work well with the piano hinges, and since they are 3mm wide and 1mm deep, they are easily pressed into holes drilled across the length of the side panels. This is at least how I plan for it to work in my head, but we will find out once the piano hinges arrive. 

This weekend will be spent upholstering the seats.

I have also shared some photos of my 1st completed Pocher Fiat F-2 in the Ready For Inspection section.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Pretty much all the nuts on the model are 2mm and you should find a couple extra here and there to use. You will need to add the threaded rod on the frame rail where the body screws on and on the side of body or frame where the rear part of the fenders attach to the body. You will probably have the body and fenders on and off 40-50 times or more while trying to get everything to fit correctly before final assembly. I think that, I covered the exact placement of the threaded rods on my build. This was probably one of the best things that I did during the build as it relates to being able to put these parts on and off without stripping out the plastic; I wouldn't have had anything left to screw a screw into had I not done it. A big thanks to Codger for that tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. Took me quite some time, but have just managed to finish the front and back seats. I used an off-white leather together with 1mm leather leather cord. They are not perfect and minor touch up with paint will be required. After this, I will be working on the doors.

20210303_215150_resized

20210303_215143_resized

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

They're looking great.

I like this white color....have you planned to modify the carpeting color too ?

I have no idea how to go about modifying the carpeting. Never thought of it actually, since I figured that red body, white seats and brown carpeting should match. Any suggestions on how to modify the carpeting?

The seats look great! That’s a very nice job on the pleats and piping around the edges. When I did my interior I actually had to build a new floor. The K74 and my K91 are very different in the way the interiors are done. The seat in the K91 was molded in to the floor and had to be cut out to detail. Also there wasn’t much floor left after that. So my problem was to find suitable material for the carpet. I found the same type of flocked looking carpet at a dollhouse supplier. They have any color that you would want. It comes on sheets with an adhesive backing. The sheets are about 12” x 8” or 10” and are fairly inexpensive. I might have mentioned where I got it in my thread. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jnkm13 said:

I have no idea how to go about modifying the carpeting. Never thought of it actually, since I figured that red body, white seats and brown carpeting should match. Any suggestions on how to modify the carpeting?

It’s clearly possible to spray the carpeting with acrylic paints.

I would choose a black or dark grey personaly.

8 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

It’s clearly possible to spray the carpeting with acrylic paints.

I would choose a black or dark grey personaly.

Alright. I'll test spray a small hidden portion of the carpeting and see how it accepts the paint.

Looking at some reference photos in Paul Koo's DVDs, the cars with red exterior and beige / cream interiors had carpets matching the upholstery. So I think I'll also go for a similar colour to match.