1962 Monogram me109e (bf109) 1/48

Hey all. I've been seeing people posting 'mojo restorers' and I thought I could do the same. I've got the Taube half rigged (thread needs updating) and the F5 Tiger II half scribed. With these two builds being a bit of a grind and a love hate relationship, I've decided to do something simple and fun. 

The kit is the 1962 boxing, a gift from a friend. Infact I have two of them. 

20210201_172358

There aren't many parts and all but a few have been removed from the sprues. However no fettling or sanding has taken place. I was astounded at the fit. It falls together. It's obviously been around the block a little as it has different price tags on it. 

20210201_172701

It's very limited on 'detail' although the raised panel lines are crisp and the riveting looks spot on. Going to have to scratch a cockpit, as it's only supplied with a pilot figure. 

Some splitters in the intakes. 

20210201_231237

Couple of ribs in the landing gear bay. 

20210202_001133

Put some bits in the cockpit. Nothing too fancy, just enough to look like something. 

20210203_011033

The broken watch movement will come in handy. I found the smallest screwdriver I had then sanded it further to get it small enough. I managed to take it apart without breaking anything or forcing anything. Very cool to see how it's put together, won't ever be going back together now though 😂

20210203_163624

This is probably waaaaay out of scale, but when the cockpit is closed up, it looks OK. 

20210203_163629

I'll also keep all the other cogs. The biggest one looks OK to mount as a rivet scribe. Save myself a tenner 👍

The decals in the box are well not great

20210204_154857

But, the dials look OK, infact most of them look 'OK' I cut the dials out, dropped it in some water and waited. And waited. And waited. Then, would you believe it. It slid off! 

58 year old decal 

20210204_164401

Dropped a bit of decal fix on the surface, looks absolutely fine! I will trace the other decals, just incase I'm not so lucky. 

Closed up the tub. 

20210204_232859

20210204_232820

Assembled the tail. 

20210204_232833

That's about as far as I've got so far. All in two or three days. So it's worked as a 'mojo restorer' I'm actually really enjoying this and looking forward to painting this one. 

If anyone want pictures of the little catalogue in the box let me know. 

Thanks for looking 

🐧

• Like 14

8 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

I've got the Taube half rigged (thread needs updating)

Me too :)

Nice work so far ( raised panel lines, oh dear, I have a Heller K4 which, much as I hate doing it is getting sanded and described; won’t say anymore)

I notice it’s an early E will be interested to see what colour scheme you choose, plenty of options.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Me too :)

Nice work so far ( raised panel lines, oh dear, I have a Heller K4 which, much as I hate doing it is getting sanded and described; won’t say anymore)

I notice it’s an early E will be interested to see what colour scheme you choose, plenty of options.

I've no idea yet. Probably just something made up. Having a bit of fun with this one. Not to serious. Box art is the standard blue, grey, green affair. 

Everyone does the Battle of Britain schemes. The E3 was sent to Spain so SCA would be an option and the early service models had a full 70/71 splinter camo with lots of unit badges. As the Battle of Britain proceeded they had the sides painted in 65 and mottled. 

• Like 1

Got a little carried away with the dremel polishing wheel. Put a fresh one on and managed to cause a bit of damage. 

2021-02-05_06-05-50

I'll blend it in with camo or smoke, or something. Not getting to worked up about it. Lesson learned. 

Probably get to do the preshading later or tomorrow. 

🐧

• Like 3

Little update 

20210205_222745

20210205_222753

20210205_222807

Managed to bend the end of the needle in the airbrush as I forgot I had taken the end bit off and when I pulled the trigger back to clean the nozzle, the needle was still there. Whoops. Can I carefully sand it down? 

I have a spare anyway. 

Still no idea what scheme to go with. As I mentioned my friend has mailed me some spare decals he has collected over the years. So I'm hoping something interesting might be in the envelope. 

Enjoying this one, still can't face more rigging on the Taube though 😂 

Thanks for looking. 

🐧

• Like 4

NICE!!!! I think this was the first or 2nd model I ever built in '63. I loved that shiney dark green

and black plastic, my favorite part was the nose cannon. You're doing it justice and then some!

Is that price a bit steep? I paid 1 USD that would be about a pound or so? BUT that was 1963.---John

• Like 1

Not much in the posted pack of decals. Just a few spare crosses for the wings. Couple of other little bits. Soooo, it's gonna have to be the old decals or some sort of whiff. 

Any suggestions on paint scheme? I'm pretty much ready to get cracking. 

11 hours ago, Johnv said:

NICE!!!! I think this was the first or 2nd model I ever built in '63. I loved that shiney dark green

and black plastic, my favorite part was the nose cannon. You're doing it justice and then some!

Is that price a bit steep? I paid 1 USD that would be about a pound or so? BUT that was 1963.---John

Haha yes. It has a sticker of £9 on the front also. The little catalogue that comes with it has most the models priced at $1-3. 

33 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Those Monogram kits were pretty good back almost 60 years ago. Great choice and great to see one being built.  As for the camo scheme just have fun with it. 

It did almost just fall together. I was really surprised. And it's a lovely looking little thing. The age just adds to it I think. 

Looking about on the net. There's hundreds of different variations of the camo. I'm not following a particular picture or anything, so yea, going to have a play with it. 

Might get some done later when man cub has gone to bed. 

🐧

• Like 1

The Adolf Galland scheme is iconic, but it’s not an E3 so to be accurate you’ll need the later armoured glass canopy.

Personally I’d go for an early e in the two tone splinter. Decals might be an issue, as some of the early schemes have three unit badges.

Other options; Swiss, Japanese; French; Romanian or Raftwaffe( British captured) the former two options wouldn’t be too difficult in the decal department.

Got some sky blue colour on the underside and the sides of the fuselage. There's a bit of medium grey towards the top, but the light in the shed is poor. 

20210207_005417 20210207_005400 20210207_005352

I'll do the wings tomorrow and hopefully not mess up a little motteling. Wish me luck. 

🐧

• Like 6

Managed to get this painted over last 2 days. Surprisingly good considering my poor airbrushing skill. Pleased with the panel lines. 

Now I need to get scribing on the F5. 

First time trying to do motteling too. Had some practice on the paint mule first. But I think I've over done it. I thinned the paint a little to much I think, so had to go over them, so they grew in size. 

Hoping 🤞 that the original decals will work. The instrument panel did. So.... 

As always its been glossed ready for an attempt tomorrow. 

20210210_215956 20210210_215941 20210210_213033

Thanks for looking. 

🐧

• Like 6

Decided to persue the old decals. And was pleasantly surprised. 

IMG-20210211-WA0005

IMG-20210211-WA0008

IMG-20210211-WA0010

The tail decal is from the spares my friend sent me. Waiting to see if decal fix does anything. They're pretty thick. Not to worry if not. This was a fun build. 

Matte cote later, then some weathering. Paint wheels etc. 

🐧

• Like 7