Bf109G-14 Hartman's plane in Hungary

Plumbum

I have a 1/48 kit with both tails, tall and short and both canopys. I have seen Hartman's plane in images

in Hungary with winter white camo. Was it a G-14 or a G-6? The image I saw showed the box protruding

from the rear bulkhead in back of the pilot's seat that the G-10s had. Just curious as I think I still have

the decals for that plane but was never quite sure what model 109 it was.---John

Hello John

The caption of the photo of that plane in Jochem Prien's book Jagdgeschwader 53 (volume 3), page 851, says: "His machine - according to a log book entry by Erich Sommavilla Hartmann was still flying a Bf 109 G-6 - wears a white winter finish which largely obscures the original gray camouflage scheme. Noteworthy marking ...". Cheers

Jure

The Typical one you see modelled as Black double-chevron in white camo with the black tulip was a tall tail G-14.

This picture pretty clearly shows both the tall tail and the box at the back of the cockpit. Although actually neither of these features prevents it being a G-6, at this stage it's semantics.

hartmann_bf109g-6b-jpg.71927

What people tend to forget though, is that even important/high ranking pilots that had their own assigned plane, still flew a variety of planes sometimes interchangeably.

• Like 3

Hello John

Erich Sommavilla was Hartmann's wingman on his sole mission with I./JG 53 as G. R. Morrison wrote in a post above and he also provided the photo (and another one, published in Prien's book, showing Hartmann climbing out of aircraft's cockpit) Vlad posted. Both photos had been taken immediately after landing of the said mission. Sounds like a credible, although not a conclusive evidence. As you wrote in OP, it hardly matters. The photo shows more or less everything one needs to build accurate model. Granted, one cannot check whether there are fixed trim tabs on rudder or not, but this is minor. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
spelling error corrected
  • Like 1

Erich Sommavilla said this was a G-6 that was assigned to Hartmann and Sommavilla took  a newer G-14. The men were not happy that Hartmann was brought in to take over the unit feeling the position should have been given to one of their own. That why he was issued an older type. A lot of I./JG 300's Bf 109 G-6s had the battery box mounted in the cockpit.

Cheers, Jerry

• Like 2

Thanks, I have pretty much given up on a G-14 for Hartmann and will go with a late war German tall

tail tall tail wheel G-14 of JG3. I read The Blonde Knight and I don't think he was overly happy going from

JG52 to JG53. May be another reason he wasn't there long.---John

7 hours ago, Johnv said:

Thanks, I have pretty much given up on a G-14 for Hartmann and will go with a late war German tall

tail tall tail wheel G-14 of JG3. I read The Blonde Knight and I don't think he was overly happy going from

JG52 to JG53. May be another reason he wasn't there long.---John

So what exactly are you looking to build, a Hartmann aircraft or a G-14? If you're hung up on the G-14 designation, I'd point out again that a G-6 with a tall tail and Erla canopy is visually identical.

If you specifically want a tall tail Hartmann machine, there's also this G-6, with a very fancy and unusual oversprayed camouflage to boot:

spacer.png

More here: http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2016/08/late-war-9jg-52-film-footage-hartmanns.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1