Indian Airlines Boeing 737-200 (Eastern Express 1/144)

Hey all!

My first civilian airliner model! What better subject than the classic Indian Airlines black nose Boeing 737!

I grew up near the Santa Cruz Airport in Bombay, India in the 80s. Many afternoons, I'd go running to the terrace to watch these noisy aircraft take off from Runway 32 towards the Arabian sea. That and the logo of the Indian Airlines will always stir up nostalgia.

The registration VT-EGA is fictional (The GA being a reference to my homeland Goa)

This was the first time I printed out my own decals (for the lettering and serial numbers) The tail logo was masked and painted. The cockpit decal wouldn't set properly and is slanted upwards. Also please ignore the missing panels on the landing gear :P

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by alxzinbox
  • Like 33

• alxzinbox changed the title to Indian Airlines Boeing 737-200 (Eastern Express 1/144)

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the wonderful world of airliner modelling!

It's a shame about the cockpit windscreen decal as it is the only thing ruining such a well finished model. Could you cut it along one of the frames and realign it? I think it has been designed for a different kit so therefore doesn't match the angles of your kit. I have lots of Boeing narrow body cockpit decals I can send you if let me know your address.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the wonderful world of airliner modelling!

It's a shame about the cockpit windscreen decal as it is the only thing ruining such a well finished model. Could you cut it along one of the frames and realign it? I think it has been designed for a different kit so therefore doesn't match the angles of your kit. I have lots of Boeing narrow body cockpit decals I can send you if let me know your address.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you so much Ian! I've really admired and have been inspired by your airline models, especially the venerable 747s.

Why didn't I think of cutting the decals to get them fit better. Thank you for your kind offer for the decals. Really appreciate it. Fortunately the kit has a 2nd set of window decals which I will try.

Cheers,

Alex.

Welcome to the airliner world of modelling.

Very nice 737 and the Indian Airlines livery looks very neat.

Regarding the windscreen,the EE kits canopy part is a tad too steep,this may also "helped" to cause the decal be slanted upwards.

I usually cut the windscreen decal in half at one side of the front window strut.

Then its easier to align the decal and it will conform better.

Alex

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Regarding the windscreen,the EE kits canopy part is a tad too steep,this may also "helped" to cause the decal be slanted upwards.

I usually cut the windscreen decal in half at one side of the front window strut.

Then its easier to align the decal and it will conform better.

Thanks Alex- I've been an admirer of your airliner builds on this forum!

You're right regarding the windscreen. I had to sand it down some to get a better profile. There is a spare decal in the kit, so I'll try cutting the decal into individual windows. Wish I'd thought of that earlier.

Cheers,

Alex

• Thanks 1

looks very good - nice aluminium and bare metal work effects there. Your model reflects the age of the aircraft well. Find me a civil aircraft modeller that has not had a flight deck decal fit issue....because they don't exist so don't beat yourself up about it.

• Like 1

Great looking 737-200, the engines look particularly good. It's always a struggle to get Boeing window decals to line up, and very easy to get an upward slant that shouldn't be there. It'll add a lot to the look of it if you can flatten it out a bit.

Cheers

John

• Like 1