1/72 Trumpeter F-105D Thunderchief

1/72 Trumpeter F-105D

Markings as per the kit instructions have this as: F-105D, 61-0183, 334 TFS/4 TFW

But a write up on Cybermodeler has it as: F-105D-25-RE, 61-0183, 6441 TFW, Sharkmouth, Takhli RTAFB, 1965

Anyway, added PE to the pit to dress it up a little, the rest is as it comes.

Airbrushed using Tamiya acrylics.  I did originally plan on doing this in the usual SEA scheme but changed my mind after I had primed it.  It is only afterwards that I realised that I should have removed the strike camera in the nose area and not fitted the cooling scoops for the engine as this was a mod in country.  Not to worry.....!

I had to use spare Star and Bar decals as the Trumpy ones are far too light a shade.  A Flory wash to highlight all the detail (love or hate the rivets, I don't mind them personally).  All sealed using a quality varnish and away we go. First one over the line for 2021.

The Thud is such a massive beast of an aircraft and is even a good size in 72 scale.  I have another 3 in the stash...!!

Cheers all,

Phil

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 58

That is one stunning Thud.  An superb paint finish.

Great work

Cheers

Zhizhou

• Like 1

That's a corker! Superbly finished....the natural metal finish you've achieved looks so realistic... not too shiny. 👍 What a beast the Thud was. I've got one of these in the stash too and can't decide on the silver or SEA scheme? Hmmm...i may have to get another! 😄

• Like 1

The Tactical Air Command shield on the tail and the shark mouth on the nose identify this airplane as a 562nd TFS, 23rd TFW asset. I checked my references and found the 41st Air Division had the 35th, 36th and 80th TFSs, all detached from the 8th TFW. The 23rd TFS did serve during the early years of the VietNam war, on rotational basis and was assigned to the 6235th TFW. During the 6235th's brief existence, the aforementioned 8th TFW squadrons were also assigned.

Historical data aside, your model is very well done. Paint work is very nice and I like the long range ferry configuration of three external tanks.

Edited by SAT69
Mistyped
  • Like 1

“ I have another 3 in the stash...!!”

Well Phil, since you spoiled us with this one, I would say that time`s a wasting.  We want to see the three remaining Thuds from you now!! :coolio:

Great results as usual my friend. :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1

Cheers guys, its always good to get a build over the line and receive such lovely comments from your peers.  My Wife and kids just aren't interested one bit...!!  😄

I love the Thud, I loved building this kit, and I love your model! Good call on the decals, yes they were a bit thin IIRC

What a beast. 382 lost in Vietnam, incredible really. 

• Like 1

That's a right beauty!   She wears that silver well too; great scale model Phil!  :clap2:I do wish it were bigger though-I'm a 1/48 kinda guy! 😃   I've always admired the F-105's design; take a look at that photo, shot from straight above (the seventh one I believe) and tell me that ship doesn't look like a "Star Wars" fighter of some kind!    Just another way cool far-out '50s design; "Hey, if it looks right, then it flies right!  Who needs a computer to design a plane?!?!"  😉

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 1