1/72 Revell F.3 Tornado RAF

On 27/03/2021 at 10:38, Charles H said:

I'm going to go online and get a new Revell Contacta cement. Yes, love that thin metal tube. Pity I can't put my plastic nozzle from my Testors cement bottle in the flame!

Now, I listened to the devil, and gave my Tornado's wings a good push... and the Testors glue, true to form, broke contact, and my wings swing again! So, I have to ask - how on earth did you manage to line up the stumps of the broken pylon pin, to re-attach it to the wing... and still allow it to pivot? I am *quite* in awe at that, and don't know if I possess skill enough to do it myself. Did you use CA/superglue, or standard styrene cement? Terribly difficult to exactly align the broken join, or did you treat it as absolutely flush (even sand it a little, to make it so?) and not bother to align the original broken joint, exactly as it was? What I mean is... trying to rotate the stump buried in the underside of the wing with the corresponding stump on the pylon, so they match as originally, if that makes sense(?)

Rare earth magnets - I found the following, if it's of any use to anyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD1kxpy1z5g

Finally, please could you (or anyone) direct me to any existing threads (or provide new advice!) about fixing [upper and lower fuselage halves] where there isn't a horizontal gap, but when the halves are misaligned so there is a "high" and "low" edge to the join? I use Tamiya Basic Putty/grey, thinned slightly with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner, to fix horizontal gaps, but how about "vertical" misalignment? Do I sand or scrape the "high" and fill the "low" as a two-way fix to level it so it's flush, or do any other combination of erosion/filling? I have no idea which surface is "wrong" - sorry, I'm simply unsure how to proceed here.

cheers!

Charles

It was just luck re: the pylon fixing pin... that, and the fact I genuinely had nothing to lose at that point. I couldn’t open up the wing again to fashion a new one, so thought I’d probably have to glue it in a fixed position... so just tried a tiny blob of glue on the mating surfaces, carefully located it, and hoped for the best. If any glue seeped over it was such a small amount that it didn’t ‘grab’ properly. Quite pleasantly surprised it worked.

Re the stepped fuselage: one other possibility might be to warm the plastic and try to reshape it slightly - pulling out the narrower piece or squeezing in the wider one? You’d have to be really careful but I’ve made small adjustments like that in the past, and just a small change can have a big visual effect. Otherwise I’d do exactly what you say... filler and sanding to smooth the junction of the two edges.

On 27/03/2021 at 11:04, Meatbox8 said:

Absolutely brilliant.  A terrific model and a great setting. 

Thank you! Going to try a GR4 next, will certainly park it in the hangar again for display 😁

• Like 1

I'm filling and sanding my Tornado. I have previously done considerable some pulling out the narrower piece/squeezing in the wider one; not game enough to try it more! I am still practicing using Tamiya Basic Putty (grey) and am getting better at it, but still difficult for a newbie. I currently am thinning it quite a bit with Tamiya Laquer Thinner, and have made a little spatula out of a tine off a plastic fork, instead of using a toothpick, which was awful, at least for me. It seems to dry very quickly if not thinned, too, but I just wasn't competent with it, unthinned, and using a toothpick (as shown many times on Youtube).

I bought a set of sanding sticks; probably silly of me I realise; they are very large for 1:72 scale. "USTAR" UA-91605 5 in 1 Set. I don't even think the claimed grades of the various facets of the sticks are actually correct!

Possibly, I think I do better just with bits of fine sandpaper held with forceps. I don't have anything finer than 1200, but that is easily and cheaply fixed! Anyway, thank you for your feedback, and again for sharing your gorgeous Tornado and diorama.