Dragon 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV A-O

Andy J

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

This one that I've built, top tip, do not assemble the suspension units like they show in the plans, with the suspension units using rubber pads, when you fit the tracks the wheels are pushed up at each end and your Firefly resembles a rocking chair. :doh:

Thanks Bob - tbh I can't remember fitting any rubber pads, I think I've attached the wheels to the suspension units and that's as far as I got, but it's been, errrr, a 'few' years since I last looked at it! I'll dig it out tomorrow and have a look!

Keith

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

This one that I've built, top tip, do not assemble the suspension units like they show in the plans, with the suspension units using rubber pads, when you fit the tracks the wheels are pushed up at each end and your Firefly resembles a rocking chair. :doh:

Update on this - just checked and I'd done even less to it than I ''remembered'' - stuck wheels and sprockets/idlers together and just cleaned up suspension units - so hadn't fitted the rocking horse pads! 

Thanks for the heads up on those Bob, I'll replace them with plasticard.

Keith

• Like 2

What can I say......put the PayPal account down and take a step back!!

It's all your fault, I've just bought three new kits!

Your fault I say, you make purchasing far to acceptable!

Ooo nice paintwork on the Jagdpanzer too btw.

The Meng zimm is a self adhesive sheet, I've the Kingtiger with the sheet, better off with Atak or home made. 

Watch the wheels on the Meng Panthers, the poly caps are so tight people break stub axles getting them on. When I did the Meng Jagdpanther I had to resort to pressing the wheels onto the axles with pliers and a fair degree of trepidation!

If you enjoyed the Meng Sherman tracks you like the Meng Panther ones too!😉 (not as tricky just so time consuming, imo!)

Good luck mate!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Watch the wheels on the Meng Panthers, the poly caps are so tight people break stub axles getting them on. When I did the Meng Jagdpanther I had to resort to pressing the wheels onto the axles with pliers and a fair degree of trepidation!

Yes, it's true. But on the other hand, plastic caps are handy. When I did the Meng Jagdpanther, which uses the same parts, the axles were simply sanded with a coarse sanding stick. As it turned out, the problem was solved easily - I worked less than half an hour.

Vytautas

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Yes, it's true. But on the other hand, plastic caps are handy. When I did the Meng Jagdpanther, which uses the same parts, the axles were simply sanded with a coarse sanding stick. As it turned out, the problem was solved easily - I worked less than half an hour.

Vytautas

True, unfortunately I couldn't get the wheels back off to sand the axles, they appeared to go on fine until it came to the final push!😱

Won't fall for that one again! 😂🤣

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

What can I say......put the PayPal account down and take a step back!!

It's all your fault, I've just bought three new kits!

Your fault I say, you make purchasing far to acceptable!

Ooo nice paintwork on the Jagdpanzer too btw.

The Meng zimm is a self adhesive sheet, I've the Kingtiger with the sheet, better off with Atak or home made. 

If you enjoyed the Meng Sherman tracks you like the Meng Panther ones too!😉 (not as tricky just so time consuming, imo!)

Good luck mate!

Thanks for the heads up Darryl I'm assuming that Atak do make a zimmerit set for the Panther if so do you have a link by any chance 🤔

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas I have my sanding stick at the ready 😉👍

23 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

True, unfortunately I couldn't get the wheels back off to sand the axles, they appeared to go on fine until it came to the final push!😱

You can try a drop of dishwashing liquid, and after half an hour, start moving wheels a little. A radical way to use WD40 or something similar.

And sorry Andy for taking your place

Vytautas

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, vytautas said:

You can try a drop of dishwashing liquid, and after half an hour, start moving wheels a little. A radical way to use WD40 or something similar.

And sorry Andy for taking your place

Vytautas

Nothing to be sorry about Vytautas I value your input massively mate. Feel free to offer advice as often as you like 🙂👍

• Like 1

So today's update and the camo scheme has been applied along with a couple of filters and a semi gloss coat for the weathering. I'm extremely happy with the results exactly what I was looking for and once the weathering is completed I think this Jagdpanzer will look ok. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

Green applied first 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the brown 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then filters and semi gloss coat 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And some pic's of the hull loosely fitted to the lower hull 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that's where the build stands atm. A week of night working means I won't be back at the bench until next Saturday however I will be watching the progress of all the other builds on the forum so until then thanks for looking and stay safe 🙂👍

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Smashing job on the painting mate :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan the painting is my favourite part of any build probably the main reason I enjoy the hobby so much 🙂👍

• Like 1

Nice paintwork Andy, really looking the part!

Great to see someone enjoying their work.

As for Atak, no idea, used to be able to get it from one of the suppliers on the continent but with all the hassle involved at present I dont know.

I do have a suspicion the Das Werk set is Atak though....fairly sure you can find those with a bit of a trawl.

(Not 100% sure the set for DW will fit the break down of the Meng kit though).

Cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice paintwork Andy, really looking the part!

Great to see someone enjoying their work.

As for Atak, no idea, used to be able to get it from one of the suppliers on the continent but with all the hassle involved at present I dont know.

I do have a suspicion the Das Werk set is Atak though....fairly sure you can find those with a bit of a trawl.

(Not 100% sure the set for DW will fit the break down of the Meng kit though).

Cheers 

Thanks Darryl i appreciate your comment 👍. As for the Meng Panther well at the end of the day I'll probably use there own version of zimmerit even if it's not as good as the Atak stuff it'll do for me 🙂👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Darryl i appreciate your comment 👍. As for the Meng Panther well at the end of the day I'll probably use there own version of zimmerit even if it's not as good as the Atak stuff it'll do for me 🙂👍

Tbh mate, from a purely selfish point of view I'd be interested to see how Mengs own stuff works out! 👍

Atb

• Like 1