Biplanes 1/72 Malta vs Sicily

rob85

Flipping hell Ced, that thing is bigger than your garden chairs! 

‘which one? We need to know’

ID0spkO.jpg
it’s this stuff Ced, my other one was really thin and was hard to get a blob on a tooth pick to dab in place. This I squeezed a good sized ball out onto the cutting mat and just kept taking little blobs out with a tooth pick.

once it dries which is pretty quick in tiny amounts I just added some more to try and make sure the hole was closed and there was excess to sand down. It’s handy stuff.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rob, I recommend you squeeze your blob of superglue onto a) an upturned milk container top or b) the underside of the aluminium foil case of a used tealight, saves you getting dried lumps of superglue all over your cutting mat :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Rob - looks like a good buy! :) 

Great tip Stew :) 

I have a 'Mr Glue Applicator' from Mr Hobby which comes with a 'CA proof' little dish that the CA doesn't stick to and can be (carefully) wiped out after use.

The pointy tool is great for dotting CA about and the others for spreading filler.

Not bad for a tenner?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good progress Rob .  Are you enjoying the rigging now?

Chris

Enjoy is pushing it! The left hand side was a lot easier than the right, learnt a lot which is great as I like it when I feel like I’ve improved or challenged myself. Will definitely give it a go again with the swordfish... however I think I have a bit of a bomber stream coming on after this, B17 and maybe throw in a B24 for luck. Also itching to start a Lancaster build that could end up as a triple build... oh and a Beaufort for the Bristol build! Busy year a head.

Rob

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Rob, I recommend you squeeze your blob of superglue onto a) an upturned milk container top or b) the underside of the aluminium foil case of a used tealight, saves you getting dried lumps of superglue all over your cutting mat :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Cunning plan stew, I may pinch it!

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Rob - looks like a good buy! :) 

Great tip Stew :) 

I have a 'Mr Glue Applicator' from Mr Hobby which comes with a 'CA proof' little dish that the CA doesn't stick to and can be (carefully) wiped out after use.

The pointy tool is great for dotting CA about and the others for spreading filler.

Not bad for a tenner?

So you have a specific tool for application of super glue, I didn’t see that coming Ced.

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Ced, I can only vouch for Rob's @rob85 and Stew's @Stew Dapple advice, same CA gel I use and same "tool" on which to splash it on. :) 

Ciao

Im walking on the shoulders of giants

5 hours ago, Brandy said:

Better still, use an upturned plastic bottle top lined with tin foil. Replace tin foil as needed, keep bottle top.

Ian

Cunning as a fox Ian! And less plastic waste, saving some turtles there.

5 hours ago, Michou said:

Malta's Gladiator photographed in 1961.  At this time it was housed in the Palace Armoury.

20210422184112-d1ce983c-la.jpg

Mike

Mike, that’s a beautiful shot! Love it!

cheers all

Rob

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, CedB said:

including this monster that activated the garden camera

OMG, that looks like one of those killer Hornets, or a close up. ;) 

On 4/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, CedB said:

Hate 'em.

Yup, with you on that one. :)

@rob85, those are looking jolly good. I hadn't been following closely but after a revision of this, I'm seeing a lot of stuff that is just as pertinent to my smaller scale. Maybe try using white glue or one of the proprietary glazing stuff thingies to fill the drill hole in the bottom wing after your rigging, it should skin over the hole quite nicely.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2021 at 11:38 PM, CedB said:

Rob. Rigging is a dark art! :) 

Ah @CedB you don’t understand the power of the dark side 

resized_01afa77f-3780-4731-bf7e-f246e1a7my Oertz.

lovely build so far. I find with the exception of white Tamiya are pretty good, but my go to white is Humbrol 110 or a rattle can.

• Like 5

On 4/23/2021 at 1:36 PM, Marklo said:

Ah @CedB you don’t understand the power of the dark side 

resized_01afa77f-3780-4731-bf7e-f246e1a7my Oertz.

lovely build so far. I find with the exception of white Tamiya are pretty good, but my go to white is Humbrol 110 or a rattle can.

That’s some fine work there!

a tiny update for now, I’ve been painting the Gladiator with the new Hataka paints. Still liking them but might need to keep experimenting as could probably be thinned a little more. But it does level out very nicely.

here she is so far

79SAL35.jpg

cheers for stopping by!

Rob

• Like 11

Coming along very nicely, Rob! The shadow-shaded sea scheme is looking very nice! I'll be interested in how you get on with the Hataka paints, as I've just bought a few but haven't yet had a chance to try them out.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Looks lovely. Interested to see how the Hataka works out as I invested in a set for the Me109 STGB.

33 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Coming along very nicely, Rob! The shadow-shaded sea scheme is looking very nice! I'll be interested in how you get on with the Hataka paints, as I've just bought a few but haven't yet had a chance to try them out.

Cheers,

Mark

So far so happy with them. I can not speak for them in airbrush’s as I only use hairy sticks.

they dry quick, aren’t too thin and react well with water as a thinner. I would say just be carful, they need a really good mix, I decant a bit into a tiny pot and then give it another stir.

they give great coverage, and when painting don’t always look like they will dry smooth but when they do dry they level out nicely so not may brush strokes.

I’ve got a B-17 to start so it will be interesting to see how they go on a bigger surface, I think I shall invest in more and find out. I like their colour matches, but that comes with the warning that I’m millions of miles from being a colour expert!!

Rob

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I like their colour matches, but that comes with the warning that I’m millions of miles from being a colour expert!!

I’ve been formally trained in colour science ( I know my Macbeth plot from my spectrophotometer) and I can pretty much say that’s isn’t such a thing :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Right so we have a move forward, the Gladiator has had a gloss cote where the decals will go and decals have been added.

2bSBEYR.jpg

Undersides re painted, glossed and decaled 

1s5GZua.jpg

And the canopy has been weathered a little to try and replicate the wear from the pictures.

OKHl7Cj.jpg

so after a few matte layers we should be on to the weathering to make this look nice and battered like the pictures!

As for the CR.42 she has had the lower transfers added, they didn’t want to behave and are quite matte in finish so I’m expecting slivering later.

qVe2AjL.jpg

bit more decal work and we should be ready for the finishing touches!

cheers all!

Rob

• Like 11

Looking good Rob :) 

So, you only gloss the parts where the decals will go? Sounds like a plan…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking good Rob :) 

So, you only gloss the parts where the decals will go? Sounds like a plan…

Well I used to gloss the whole thing in aqua gloss, but is so shiny it took too many coats of matte varnish to get the right finish. It ended up affecting the smoothness of the paint work and you were seeing brush strokes in the matte finish... so now I only try and do the parts where the decals go.

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Almost there, Rob! :clap: 

Ciao

Cheers G, getting close now!

• Like 2

That is a fine looking pair, indeed. I made an Italeri CR42 a couple of months ago. It was my second biplane (I was hooked) and it went together quite easily. However, I'd used a North African paint job and only later discovered that the Regia Aeronautica scheme in Eritrea was a two-colour scheme, not three. Hmm, come to think of it, I probably should have done the struts in dark colours, not light.

The Eritrea ones interest me most as I've been working on the RAF Sudan aircraft of the period. I'd love to find a Caproni 133 in 1/72, but in the meantime I've bought another Falco.

(Oh, I don't do rigging because if I stood back a little without my glasses, I wouldn't see it anyway, so ...)

51094228333_f1b8464b81_o.jpg
IMGP0033a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

• Like 4