Biplanes 1/72 Malta vs Sicily

rob85

Happy belated birthday,  you did very well with the  birthday haul.   Nice progress on the Gladiator, trying to see the difference in the white but looks very similar in the two photos. Glad you found your wheel  and are progressing on the Fix It Again Tony too. 

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Happy belated birthday,  you did very well with the  birthday haul.   Nice progress on the Gladiator, trying to see the difference in the white but looks very similar in the two photos. Glad you found your wheel  and are progressing on the Fix It Again Tony too. 

Great work 

Chris

😂 Fix It Again Tony, is so right! Never heard that before but perfectly describes my Fiat Bravo that died in jan, never to be resurrected again!

Rob

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Many happy returns of the days chez vous! That was a great haul on the kits and books, too - wish my nearest and dearest would listen to my overtures for such delights!

Good progress on the biplanes: I do like the dodge with the wheels! That's a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Belated birthday wishes from me too. Chocolate and books are a good combination, add a cup of tea and I'd be a very happy boy.

Nice work on the CR.42, not my field of interest but you're making a nice job of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice going Rob :clap:

A belated happy birthday from me too! Looks like you're gonna be on a big bombers frenzy once again, soon :D

And the books look interesting too :thumbsup:

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

Great find Rob! :) 

Sorry to hear about the car but I hope your birthday was a very happy one!

Models looking good too.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2021 at 7:10 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Oh Mannnn, Sorry to hear about the car Rob. 

Chris

I’m not it was junk, good riddance! I now have a very reliable Romanian car which will even let me connect my phone to it so I can listen to pod casts... very modern for me 😃

On 3/9/2021 at 7:23 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Many happy returns of the days chez vous! That was a great haul on the kits and books, too - wish my nearest and dearest would listen to my overtures for such delights!

Good progress on the biplanes: I do like the dodge with the wheels! That's a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks! They were all forwarded links. Easiest way, I don’t have to pretend I like the gifts they think I want, I just have to act surprised!

On 3/9/2021 at 7:25 PM, Beard said:

Belated birthday wishes from me too. Chocolate and books are a good combination, add a cup of tea and I'd be a very happy boy.

Nice work on the CR.42, not my field of interest but you're making a nice job of it.

Cheers Simon, I went with a beer instead of tea which was nice

On 3/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, giemme said:

Nice going Rob :clap:

A belated happy birthday from me too! Looks like you're gonna be on a big bombers frenzy once again, soon :D

And the books look interesting too :thumbsup:

Ciao 

Thanks G! They are kind of my thing at the moment, i may have to do a big build of b-25/26’s to manage the stash!

On 3/10/2021 at 7:34 AM, CedB said:

Great find Rob! :) 

Sorry to hear about the car but I hope your birthday was a very happy one!

Models looking good too.

Thanks Ced much appreciated!

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Another belated 'Happy Birthday' from me too Rob, looks like an excellent bomber haul!

Cheers Cookie, hope things are good your end!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Thanks! They were all forwarded links. Easiest way, I don’t have to pretend I like the gifts they think I want, I just have to act surprised!

Genius! I must remember that for my birthday this year :)

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Right where was I? 

I’ve done some work on these over the last few weeks but haven’t uploaded photos etc so there might be a fair few, just to let you know.

I started with drilling lots of holes on the gladiator, I probably won’t do this method again in this scale. I used a 0.3 drill bit and a hand drill, the holes are really oversized and will need sorting out once I’m done.

LClTHrq.jpg
N1qzWbi.jpg

then I cracked on with a bit of painting of grey, about 50 shades I’d say...

2OJ1Lak.jpg
7ZmL0ye.jpg

jW8NFqB.jpg

then had a little weeks or so’s break and started getting wings on! But first which silly chap forgot to paint and then mask the white band on the CR.42 🤦🏻‍♂️. So masked and some light grey as a base.

7qfr6O0.jpg

05bHzPK.jpg

now the upper wing!

NOskYIs.jpg
it took some convincing... the struts are a pain as they are all angled which is a right pain to get them in the right place!

as this is a night fighter it has the extended exhausts, which considering the kit is nicely detailed, just have a flat end to them and to dip to show they are open. So they were drilled.

YNGNP7J.jpg

I'm happy with that.

HoDC5QM.jpg
there were also more coats of white paint, and then the mask was removed, evidently I didn’t burnish it down enough.

LAuXmAt.jpgthis was tidied up with a little brush.

StS4n2g.jpg

And that’s where the CR.42 stayed, bit of detail painting, transfers then weather and it’s pretty much there.

so I decided to start on the rigging for the gladiator, starting with the rudder.

HUU0mqg.jpg
the little blob of glue has been tidied up a bit, but will need more once the second one is added and set, which it has been now.

then onto the main upper wing.

XPE62M7.jpg
cVepOfc.jpg

this took some time and patience as the struts did not want to fit onto the upper wing, they ended up with a sanding and just about squeezed in!

so then I tried rigging the wing. I’m using mig thread, which behaves well, but if I do this again I would not bother with the holes and just use tweezers and super glue.

4OVh5Rs.jpgthe upper and lower wings will need so real cleaning up! More has been done but I didn’t take a pic. I’ll keep plodding on with it but I don’t care what any of you say it’s not fun and I’ll avoid it! I have a swordfish in the stash that I really want to build... but that’s been pushed a lot further down the list.

I've ordered some hataka paint in the ‘blue’ range, it’s their FAA pack, which is made for brush painting, so we will see how that goes.

anyhow, hope you like it so far.

Rob

• Like 8

Those rigging holes are FAR bigger than 0.3mm! I work in 1:72 and almost exclusively with WWI aircraft, they look more like 1mm or even more to me! I'd strongly recommend a review of your drill bit sizes!

These are .3mm holes in a 1:72 scale wing....

49934280967_f070098b86.jpg

Other than that, coming on nicely!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Those rigging holes are FAR bigger than 0.3mm! I work in 1:72 and almost exclusively with WWI aircraft, they look more like 1mm or even more to me! I'd strongly recommend a review of your drill bit sizes!

These are .3mm holes in a 1:72 scale wing....

49934280967_f070098b86.jpg

Other than that, coming on nicely!

Ian

Possibly my poor work. I bought the bits as a full set brand new, it’s the only one I’ve used. Do you use a small drill to do yours or are they by hand with a pin vice? 

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good tobsee these on the go again .  Great progress. I hope you get to the point where you enjoy the rigging.  

Chris

cheers Chris, to be fair it was getting easier as I went along so maybe, one day.

Rob

• Like 2

0b34d438-77e0-4109-a985-4aae95914b13.jpeI use these micro drill bits; you’ll get a set on eBay very cheap. Generally I just use the bit on its own but I do have a dremel knock off that I sometimes use. The only caveat they are very brittle and can snap easily. The sets I have go down to about .1mm. You can also buy packs of one size.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/164531098247

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

resized_81171fff-797f-4aa2-9efd-988b4043I think I used the .5mm bit on my Airfix swordfish along with .4mm monofilament and it still looks pretty ok ( although the rigging lines on the real thing are pretty hefty) As happens 1/48 is my preferred scale and I find that combination works very well at that scale.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rigging is continuing!

JUH3nuc.jpg
left wing half way there

VYjzFih.jpg

right is complete 

u8tzZaI.jpgit’s going ok, hopefully get the rest finished tomorrow, today was interrupted by a massive wasp finding it’s way into the loft...

but this arrived!

Z6vP4tz.jpgI’ve wanted one of these since I was a kid! And I now have a B17 to get cracking on with for the Museum which is exciting!

cheers all!

Rob

• Like 8

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

today was interrupted by a massive wasp finding it’s way into the loft...

I've had a couple of those in the last couple of weeks (I live on the top floor of a tenement); my Dad always said that they were Queen Wasps looking for a new nest site, though what knowledge he really had of pancrustacean hexapod invertebrates generally I'm not sure - suffice it to say with the use of chemical weapons the two that visited me were dispatched pretty damn quick :) 

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

but this arrived!

That's a rare bird these days, good haul mate B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I've had a couple of those in the last couple of weeks (I live on the top floor of a tenement); my Dad always said that they were Queen Wasps looking for a new nest site, though what knowledge he really had of pancrustacean hexapod invertebrates generally I'm not sure - suffice it to say with the use of chemical weapons the two that visited me were dispatched pretty damn quick :) 

That's a rare bird these days, good haul mate B) 

Cheers,

Stew

See I was always told it was the queen by my mum, it matters not if it is or isn’t though, as it’s dead! No chemical warfare for me just a swift hit with a leather Marshall speaker cover 😂 the only thing I had to hand that packed and punch, other than an unfinished costal command B-24, I think the excessive nose weight alone would have done for it with that!

Rob

• Haha 4

So more has been done today, more rigging and then cleaning up has been done on the little gladiator.

left wing done.

JgGFfms.jpgI bought a gel super glue which drys slightly slower than the thinner one, but it does a much better job of filling up the holes.

nBCAdua.jpgI might try and dab a bit on the top side of the lower wing as the holes still stand out a little there.

LGqO8Hn.jpgI cleaned it up as best I could but ended up popping out three of the main struts in the process. If I had carried on I think I would have taken the whole top wing off.

I gave my new Hataka blue line paint, made for brush painting, thinned with a tiny bit of water. I was worried as they are completely new to me.

XQyYvUv.jpg
I bought the FAA/Costal Command set.

eVgvZ6M.jpg

that’s one layer, and the coverage is really nice, the set also comes with a slightly off white so might give that a go on the underside as still not happy with how the Tamiya covered.

gidTsEa.jpghalf dry

2ZdQ5GG.jpgsecond layer

8hoPlZ4.jpgmots good stuff, easy to work with! There are still scratches form my sanding and marks from where I rigged it but I’m just going to have to live with it! I don’t want to destroy the whole thing and I’m just too heavy handed with my polishing pads!

So on to the CR.42, it’s tiny windscreen was masked with my own fair hand.

OsuaRDR.jpg
and then painted

80QGb7t.jpgI want you to know the little mark in the front pane of the windscreen is moulded there not my poor making and painting!

the little rods for the upper wings flight controls were then added and the prop was painted and added... but I’ve revisited the ref pictures and this shouldn’t be silver on the front it should be light grey and then black on the back so will need to re paint that.

nNqzTy7.jpgshes pretty much read for decals after that gets done, then weathering! I’ve painted this dark grey but others have gone with a near Matte black, where as some have gone for a dark grey as above. Italieri say it should be a matte battleship grey, whatever that actually is! But some photos I’ve seen have a slight sheen to the paint work. I’ll keep looking before I make a firm decision on finish.

cheers for stopping by.

Rob

• Like 9

Very nice progress Rob. Rigging is a dark art! :) 

Both are looking great.

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

I bought a gel super glue which drys slightly slower than the thinner one

Which one? We need to know…

19 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I've had a couple of those in the last couple of weeks (I live on the top floor of a tenement); my Dad always said that they were Queen Wasps looking for a new nest site, though what knowledge he really had of pancrustacean hexapod invertebrates generally I'm not sure…

i think you (and your Dad) are right Stew. We've had them too, including this monster that activated the garden camera (click for video):

51130306679_1459987924_z.jpg

Hate 'em.

19 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

suffice it to say with the use of chemical weapons the two that visited me were dispatched pretty damn quick

Did you us the Irish method?

• Haha 3