Biplanes 1/72 Malta vs Sicily

rob85

So after building the two big 4 engine bombers I wanted something smaller and easier, so I’ve decided to build two biplanes.... simple, rigging has never stressed any one out!

first up is an Italian CR.42 night fighter. It’s from the Italeri boxing that comes with a really nice book, with lots of detailed pictures.

this one 

3tQyd9c.jpg

and here’s the book, with the option I’ve gone with.

GpYMF8f.jpg

i think it looks a bit cool and different, however all the other options are also beautiful.

GfSMyan.jpgooooo skies...

UQk8dJX.jpgthat bottom left is quite the looker!

dFw7DS0.jpg
F6pLWaT.jpg

decals look really good and the quality of the kit and detail looks great! 

ODmQNXV.jpg

D0yUM4Y.jpg
1dUNzHo.jpg

so there we go. First one up now number two.

I've wanted to do this one for ages, but never got round to it. However the year before last I went to the island that it was born on, Malta, and went to the museum in Valletta where where one of these now sits....of course it’s this old Maltese clique...one of Faith, Hope and Charity. 

yH7356s.jpg

and here’s the one in the museum at Malta, not N5519 but N5520

SMRZk0V.jpg
F9qXKFz.jpg

She’s a beaut. Hopefully I can capture the well used and desperate feel of these aircraft,  from a pretty desperate time in Malta’s siege. 

The kit will be the below with the addition of a hook, and the 3 blade prop I put to one side from another build.... but where?

gNdMrAy.jpg
I looked high and low for the 3 blade prop and couldn’t find it anywhere, very annoyed with myself I decided to start anyway. 
DrfYFt3.jpg

what a shocking bit of fore thought from past me, the fact I never once thought of actually checking if I had put it in the box is rather telling of my own views on my organisational skills. 

Anyway, the kit looks nice though in comparison with the italeri kit the detail is softer and not quite as nice. But it still looks like it will be a good build.

8P91H1f.jpg
ppBDvKl.jpg

let’s see how it all goes.

Rob

• Like 18

Two nice choices. I’ve built the Airfix glad and it’s a lovely kit, well engineered so even the struts and upper wing are easy enough to assemble. The only thing to note is that the rigging line locations are a bit different on the glad.

50558414398_3bd4879a0a_c.jpgThis is mine in IAC trim.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice for the Gladiator Rob, the Mk I/II Airfix release has the three bladed prop included.

If I recall, i thought the hook was removed which just left the housing, although I could be wrong.  

Looking forward to seeing this build up. I may have a spare Fairey Reed 3 blade prop if it will help. If so PM me your address details and I will send out.

Chris 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Two nice choices. I’ve built the Airfix glad and it’s a lovely kit, well engineered so even the struts and upper wing are easy enough to assemble. The only thing to note is that the rigging line locations are a bit different on the glad.

50558414398_3bd4879a0a_c.jpgThis is mine in IAC trim.

Loving the Irish scheme, close to my heart that. I’ve rigged a gladiator in the Scandinavian GB, I’m hoping to improve on that. 

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice choice for the Gladiator Rob, the Mk I/II Airfix release has the three bladed prop included.

If I recall, i thought the hook was removed which just left the housing, although I could be wrong.  

Looking forward to seeing this build up. I may have a spare Fairey Reed 3 blade prop if it will help. If so PM me your address details and I will send out.

Chris 

I’m thinking your right about the hook, there is definitely the gap for the hook on the museum one but no hook so I’m going with that! I have one from an old heller glad that I build with the old wooden prop

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

This'll be a nice pair.

And who doesn’t love a nice.... oh yes the planes, thank you!

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Ah, great, I'm not into biplanes but these two look lovely.  And one of them is Italian, so... :winkgrin:

Watching.... :popcorn:  :beer:

Ciao 

I’ll let you in on a secret, neither am I, in fact there are only really three I like these two and the swordfish.... are you the same with biplanes as I am with jets?!

cheers all update to follow

Rob

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Right so the CR.42 I started with the cock pit as you do, it got painted a light grey and aluminium. Decals were then added, including the seat belt ones which I never normally use but gave them a go. The decals for the dials are a bit pants but will hardly be seen.

hnhtpy0.jpgip with its little compass before decals

eNFxfWI.jpgside wall with decal

yqpS141.jpga little wash added, and then I tried gluing it together, and it’s a bit of a pain. So will come back to that! 

as for the gladiator it’s been painted IG and aluminium as you can see below.

UkTwiGU.jpga total of three bits and then it got glued into the two halves!

rWCJfNE.jpgthey are so small!

and then the lower wings kinda fell on! All too simple.

mfnmgb2.jpgI’ll leave that to dry and then deal with the seems! 

thanks for popping by!

Rob

7 minutes ago, Beard said:

I have several Gladiators in the stash so I'll be following.

Nice to have you along!

• Like 16

53 minutes ago, rob85 said:

are you the same with biplanes as I am with jets?!

Nope, I is just scared o' the riggin' ... :frantic: :frantic:

I do have a biplane in my stash, though... it's a Fly Ansaldo S.V.A. 9 - long story, one day... :winkgrin:

Ciao 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

I’m thinking your right about the hook, there is definitely the gap for the hook on the museum one but no hook so I’m going with that! I have one from an old heller glad that I build with the old wooden prop

No worries Rob.  I have just checked the Valiant Wings  Gladiator book and it shows  N5520 in the Museum without the hook and just the housing,  I think I read somewhere previously that the Malta Gladiators had the Hooks and Dingy packs removed,  the book also confirms this.

N5520 also had a replacement engine and Hamilton standard prop salvaged from a Blenheim. 

Late in 1940 and into 1941 the three planes look as though they were painted in Dark green, dark earth over sky too.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice choices!

Rigging is simple: drill holes, thread, trim and tidy up. Simples.

That Fiat fuselage looks a bit iffy on the stringer effect though....

Ian

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, John Masters said:

Don't be scared.  It's very easy.  

18 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Nice choices!

Ian

John and Ian, I'll remember your words when I tackle my biplane... :D

Ciao

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brandy said:

Nice choices!

Ian

I may give this a go. Always worries me though, because I will have painted it? So when tidying it up won’t I have marks to clean up and paint over? Or do you just not paint the upper and lower surface, so you can clean up then paint..... hmmmmm sound better than nearly being reduced to tears using stretched plastic that won’t stay still....

Rob

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rob85 said:

I may give this a go. Always worries me though, because I will have painted it? So when tidying it up won’t I have marks to clean up and paint over? Or do you just not paint the upper and lower surface, so you can clean up then paint..... hmmmmm sound better than nearly being reduced to tears using stretched plastic that won’t stay still....

Rob

Not always. If the wings are thick enough you can use a blind hole on one wing, but most early biplanes had very thin wings and a blind hole doesn't offer enough grip. I vary my methods slightly depending on the colour scheme too. If the surfaces have lozenge decals they are easily patched. Often the holes coincide with national markings, again easily hidden. Even where the holes are visible they should be very small - I use a 0.3mm drill bit. Trim the lines with a new no. 11 scalpel blade and at the most a tiny dab of PPP to fill any remaining gap, than a dab with a paint brush. If needed a quick wash will also help to blend it in. Sometimes it's possible to leave the finishing of the wing surface until after the rigging is done - I try to do this on the upper wing, leaving the last coat until rigging is finished just to help it all blend in.

You can see from this pic some of the PPP used to hide the holes. A final coat of paint hid all sign of them.

49951933812_649c74b885_z.jpg

HTH,

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The big thing with biplanes is that the sequence is different to a modern (1930 on) monoplane. The paint, build the interior, assemble the model, paint, decal, finish sequence goes out the window.

Typically I’ll do the interior. Build the model up to a monoplane, then drill rigging holes, paint and decal, assemble and paint the rest of the model as a separate subassembly. Assemble the whole thing, rig, fill rigging holes, paint and finish. So yes a bit more complex and a whole lot less linear.

The other thing I find is that working this  way you sometimes don’t realise a build is finished until you realise you’ve run out of things to do with it.

It does also mean that when I build things like this.resized_c4ce30f8-1df8-4e8c-a215-c55c98e5I almost feel I have only started the build and it’s done. :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 10:41 PM, bigbadbadge said:

No worries Rob.  I have just checked the Valiant Wings  Gladiator book and it shows  N5520 in the Museum without the hook and just the housing,  I think I read somewhere previously that the Malta Gladiators had the Hooks and Dingy packs removed,  the book also confirms this.

N5520 also had a replacement engine and Hamilton standard prop salvaged from a Blenheim. 

Late in 1940 and into 1941 the three planes look as though they were painted in Dark green, dark earth over sky too.

Chris

Yeah I thought I had read somewhere that they had been completely stripped down and upgraded to try and get everything out of them. DG/DE over sky!! Well I’ll be doing this in the scheme provided but that’s so interesting news!

progress...

the CR.42 has a fiddly cock pit

Nz4yNLe.jpg
xEUUHPM.jpg

I had to trim off the metal pipe work on the left hand side of the seat as it was spoiling on the black control surface also on the left(trim wheel maybe) also not pictured is a bit of metal work that goes on top of the side walls and behind the seat. If you building this kit be aware it needs to go on BEFORE the control column and IP are added! And it’s a real pain to fit after!!

but the pit looks nice, now it’s all closed up.

TN2tBlR.jpg
9QpHMdk.jpg

seems will needs some work.

PEyOSHm.jpgthis front section got a good trim and polish then the guns and upper were added.

VmJVuAK.jpgwith some persuasion.

then onto the gladiator!

the seems got a good polish and came out well.

xd2FjCR.jpg
km40qrh.jpg

then the radiator and struts were all added and glued in place.

21tD5q8.jpgagain with a little persuasion.

And the tail planes and rudder were added

5pty1LN.jpg

and thats it! Not bad for an hours work!

more next week hopefully.

Rob

• Like 13

What a coincidence, i've recently picked up the Italeri kit and have a few gladiators in my stash to. In an interesting twist of history just prior to ww2 Belgium was able to buy some Cr.42's from Italy as also some British Gladiators, to "modernize" it's rather interesting but hopelessly outdated collection of interwar planes. Ironically after the capture of Belgium Italian CR42's where stationed here as well. All of this to say this pair or biplanes share quite an interesting history. It will be interesting and inspiring to see this pair come alive.

cheers

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob,

a bit late to the party, but I'll sit in as well, if I may. I've got one Airfix Gladiator in my stash, which I've been looking forward to. I think I might have to supplement it with a few more as I want to do one in Irish Air Corps markings and one in Swedish markings, plus I think I should follow your lead and do a Maltese Sea Gladiator to go with my Spitfire Vc(s) that'll be finished as Maltese examples.

We last went to Malta the summer before last, absolutely love it there! Although I've been to both the Valletta and Ta'Qali museums on previous holidays, I didn't manage to get to either this time - my better half spent every childhood holiday being dragged around all the museums of Europe, so now avoids them like the plague! However, I have been promised some forbearance when we go back next time.....

On 04/02/2021 at 22:41, bigbadbadge said:

Nicknamed the Bleriator, I believe!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1