Fw 190-V13

Bozothenutter

been doing baaaad things...

was reading about V13...lovely looks!

so working with some drawings found online...

V-13 red

D-9 black

A-0 green

Fw-190-V13triple.jpg

so I'm thinking Eduard overtrees A-0 and D-9, some cutting, shutting and scratching.

so I'll have the flat gun cover from the A-0

the cowling ring from the D-9 (looks too big btw)

zoomed in on the cowl with the wings lined up

Fw190-V13wingmatch.jpg

same with the cowl lined up

Fw190-V13cowlmatch.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

was reading about V13...lovely looks!

so working with some drawings found online...

V-13 red

D-9 black

A-0 green

No red shown.

This is the V-13

FW190-V13-1f-s.jpg

21 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

so I'm thinking Eduard overtrees A-0 and D-9, some cutting, shutting and scratching.

so I'll have the flat gun cover from the A-0

the cowling ring from the D-9 (looks too big btw)

No.  Sounds like far too much work.   A far better start point is the Hobbyboss V-18, as this has the relevant nose, (no other kit has the  chin scoop)

v18_2-jpg.121378

Cut back fin, add 3 blade prop, leave off supercharger bit, add exhausts,  no cut and shut.  The Hobbyboss kit makes an error and leaves off the fairings shown.  

Annoyingly the HB V-18 seems to be done by a different team to the D-9 thru D-13 kits, which are rated as at least very good,  and has some omissions,  and frustratingly, is in the higher price bracket, if was as cheap as the other ones, it would a boon to the fw190 kit basher, as it has that unique nose, 

allowing say the Fw190V-32 to be done

2011fw190v32-u1-02hak-png.421891 

There are others using this nose...

HTH

• Like 4

@Troy Smith is correct about using the Hobbyboss kit as a starting point. I appreciate that their reputation is a bit sketchy, but nevertheless it will be a much easier build.

Another option for you to consider is to use an R V Resins kit or conversion set - such as this. These were once expensive, but have now been largely made obsolete by the H Boss range, and their price has dropped accordingly.  Quite likely that some BritModeller has one of these in their stash - I have their V18 kit for the Kanguruh.

1000571-16429-27-pristine.jpg.

HTH

SD

• Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 4:41 AM, Bozothenutter said:

Did Eduard never do an engine set for their D series?

Can find all the other bits, just no engine.....

As a quick addendum to the excellent notes above, we are talking different engines here.

The Fw 190C prototypes (and Ta 152C) used the Daimler Benz DB 603 engine. The Fw 190D (and Ta 152H) used the Junkers Jumo 213. They are quite different. The Jumo is smaller, and has the supercharger on the starboard side - vs. port for the 603 - so I don't know how much use it would be for detailing the 190C.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Hello,
Did Eduard ever do A-0 (even as overtrees only)? I never seen anything earlier than their A-2 models. I would love to do few A-0 aircraft for sure!
best,
Milos

PS. I also don't see Red Lines :(

only in their limited edition set, so the parts are there...somewhere...

Red is only in the main pic......

2 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Wow! Didn't know that! There is no grill on the fuselage side of that kit? different shape of the front ring on the cowling? 
And yes - now I see red in 1st image

apologies, I have been talking nonsense again......

this is the set I meant: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-r0016-fw-190a-early-versions--1105559

and the earliest build is an A2......

11 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Hello,
Did Eduard ever do A-0 (even as overtrees only)? I never seen anything earlier than their A-2 models. I would love to do few A-0 aircraft for sure!
best,
Milos

PS. I also don't see Red Lines :(

You could try one of these

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/medallion-models-mm20-fw-190a-1-2-3-4-trimaster--203444#

Getting a little old now, but Medallion products were beautifully moulded. 

HTH

SD

Hello Safety Dad,
Unfortunately this set is correct for -2 and later options (and some -1 modified airframes). Early -1 and -0 had some features that were different than those, some of which were significantly different! Easy way to spot A-0 was based on omitted slots on the cowling sides. Just in front of that area, cooling ducts on the side of engine were different shape than on all later machines. Differences in the cockpit area (I don't care about those much when it comes to modeling but the headrest was obviously different which is obvious. Cowling tip was looking different with that small lip on top of nose protruding forward. No armored ring on the nose. A big difference - not really easily visible in photos on some of early machines were small wings. Different, weaker armament than "production" aircraft.
Still no kit in 1/48 featuring all this out there, AFAIK.

But let's get back to V-13! Please note that the intake for carburetor on HB V-18 is of bad shape too. Don't remember if anyone mentioned that.

Hi Milos.

I knew the differences - just wanted to point you at a set to produce a very early variant (although not the first)

Regarding the V-13 - I've just scrolled through eBay and, while there are no RV resin V-13 kits for sale at the moment, two of them sold in the last month or so. 

So they're out there - might be worth keeping a eye out for one?

SD

Thanks Safety Dad! Appreciate it! I think that the Eduard's kit gives basically all these things in plastic. I don't have the conversion you've mentioned but I do have few of those resin conversions but none of them gives me a chance to make what we would need. :(
I think that Pacific Coast in their early Butcher 1/32 scale kit gives some of the options to build A-1 (with few modifications still needed to be done by modeler). I still have to see small wings & un-armored nose somewhere for either 1/48 or 1/32 scale. (I personally prefer 1/48 scale). 
It might be that in 1/72 scale there are some earlier options but I stopped following that scale about 15 years ago. Maybe Mike @MDriskill
 knows more. 

• Like 1

Hello
Hobby Boss's front is not perfect:
_Chin intake is wrong shape (should be a but wider than the one on HB kit) and
_holes on top of the nose have to be closed up & nose reshaped in that area.
and IIRC the deck behind the seat under the canopy is not really well done. I guess it is best replaced by donor from another kit (or maybe can come from your rear part model (Eduard)?)

... but on the other hand - if you are good modeler who can put 2 different kits together and fix all the issues - why not maybe chase RV Resin kit & do it straight from the box? Those kits are good!

Edited by Milos Gazdic