I'll be following this with interest. I have Tamiya's Dambuster/Grand Slam and BI/III kits (waiting for my skills to improve before I tackle them). I quite like the sleeker lines without the mid-upper turret and the cammo paint job (and also the Lancastrian).

Although I am curious if/when the 'Lincoln' rudders made it to post-war Lancs (as per PA474 in the book cover above)?

John.

• Like 1

Johnha, 

Those aren't Lincoln rudders, they are late pattern Lanc rudders which were also fitted to Lincolns! They first appeared in late '44 I believe, and were fitted to late production Lancs, hence why the BBMF Lanc has them. Now I'm not denying they may have been designed with the Lincoln in mind though!

Edited by isaneng
  • Like 4

Further progress has been made even if it been like living in a freezer. So after waiting for the heater to warm shedquarters through I got this far:

IMG_20210205_131502

The kit antenna looked too toy like so I delved into my box of dakota spares and used these fine examples from Airfix. 

IMG_20210204_134154

Undercarriage fitted and Lifeboat glued in place. 

IMG_20210204_134242

Turrets assembled and painted.

IMG_20210205_133029 IMG_20210204_134242

Up on it's wheels. Then I noticed the lack seating for the bomb aimer:

BBMF21

So I made this and fitted in the nose compartment 

IMG_20210205_154912

2021-02-10_02-08-09

Model on. 

• Like 8

I love the progress you are making on this and the lifeboat looks interesting.

In 1976 I set off on my own across Sleights Moor near Whitby to try and find the wartime crash site of an ASR Vickers Warwick which crashed while returning from a sea search for a missing bomber crew. I was sixteen and keen, and I eventually found two water-filled craters with bits of geodetic structure, self-sealing rubber and bits of perspex.

And the sad thing was that they were obviously not successful in their search for there was fragments of white painted wood from the airborne lifeboat that it had been carrying scattered around.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been posting as been busy with work and preparing for shedquarters 2 imminent arrival, ie the mother of all concrete bases. Back to modelling, have began the laborious task of painting the lanc with white paint this how it looks so far:

White out lancaster

The props are just pushed in place, the turrets and canopy are just sat in place

White out lancaster

And the last for now

White out lancaster

Model on boys and stay safe

• Like 11

While waiting for the umpteenth coat of white to dry I decided to start my next project. Based on one of my favourite war films, appointment in London. This will consist of a lancaster with motorized props, fully crewed awaiting the green light from the van. I just hope it works!!! Here's a few images of what's occurred and will feature in it's own work in progress under the title "waiting for the green" as building starts to gather pace. 

Scratch built interior:

IMG_20210228_144412

Still requires a second coat of paint 

IMG_20210228_144405

The lucky so & so's chosen for this mission 

IMG_20210228_144418

An obligatory image of the base for shedquarters 2 

IMG_20210228_153852

Model on boys, and stay safe 

• Like 4

I love that film, 'Appointment In London' which reportedly is one of the best accounts of an actual raid.

I have watched it enough to be able to spot details that are not present on each aircraft such as the H2S if I remember . . . 

Good luck with THAT build.

The white ASR3 version looks splendid what with the red spinners. I look forward to seeing her with her marking on  . . . 

Ian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

I love that film, 'Appointment In London' which reportedly is one of the best accounts of an actual raid.

I'd certainly second that comment. 

I can't remember how many times I've watched it and still am very moved by it. The most memorable scene for me is when the Wing Commander (Dirk Bogarde) walks into the dark hangar alone and late at night and stops to stare up at the cockpit of the Lancaster. No dialogue, just the haunting background music, which sends a chill down my spine every time I watch it. The entire film portrays really well the stresses and strains of the period and is a fine tribute to the 55,573 aircrew who sadly lost their lives whilst serving with Bomber Command during WW2.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I didn't realise its been so long since I've posted on this build. But I have been busy with a trip to the darkside after getting this monster for a right song on evil Bay, 7.5 kg and 8500 bricks later:

IMG_20210511_131607

But enough of that stuff, the stash shelves:

IMG_20210518_192904

Display shelves (need some more) :

IMG_20210518_192914

And the current progress of the project, wings and horizontal stabilisers masked and first coat of humbrol mid sea grey and the Lifeboats first coat of yellow:

IMG_20210518_182931

IMG_20210518_183234

Model on boys 

• Like 8

The Lanc looks lovely and so does your man cave! The Lego is good too,.... we bought our lad the Millenium Falcon and it graces his bedroom now!

Re the nose turret,..... it will look better if you add a horizontal frame line to cross the vertical one,.... for some reason Revell missed this one off!  See below;

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/avro-lancaster-in-detail/

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

Please check your references for the colour scheme; I’m reasonably sure that the white of the undersides wraps around the wing leading edges and continues as far back as the front spar on the upper surfaces.

9 hours ago, stever219 said:

Please check your references for the colour scheme; I’m reasonably sure that the white of the undersides wraps around the wing leading edges and continues as far back as the front spar on the upper surfaces.

It does Steve, that's the rather pale masking tape I've used. It's bizarre as the white leading edges get to the join of the outer wing panels it Narrows down

8 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Don't know which to applaud more. The Rescue Lanc or the He-shed!? Oh dang, guess I'll applaud both.🤪👏👏👏

Thank you thom216, kept the nosy neighbours entertained plenty of wheelie bin lid action until I filled the missing end of the fence that they 'didn't finish' 😂

• Like 1