Matchbox FW190 1/72 brush painted

As every old modeler owes, I have a small collection of matchbox kits, planes, ships and tanks.

At the beginning of 2020, I started this one, in order to make and paint it, as I did in the distant past,

as a teenage modeler without a lot of resources, knowledge and experience.

I made it from the box and painted it with a brush and without additives or aftermarket.

Here is the result.

P1010041.jpg

P1010043.jpg

• Like 51

Nice, I think I may have had that one in the dim, distant past. We forget in our pursuit of perfect weathering on the rudder pedals of say, a 1/72 FW 190 that once we just wanted something FW190 shaped to display.

• Like 1

Great work on the old Matchbox FW190!

Being a brush painter myself, I really appreciate your smooth paint finish and undertaking a mottle scheme which is not easy to get right using a brush - and you nailed it.

Regards

Dave

Isn't this what it's all about?

I model in the old school fashion all the time.

And admit my skills have not moved on much but my knowledge has, so improvements show over time.

To me it's more 'a gentle form of therapy' than modelling.

And that's great brushwork on an old model that does look quite like an Fw190.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was the first Matchbox kit I built back when it first came out, 1972 living in N.Ireland at the time, my dad based at Bishopscourt.

Superb job, especially as brush painted.

Davey.

Paul, Homer, FatFlyHalf, Jon, IanC, Jan, Phil, stevej60, Ralph, Dave, Djordje, Robin-42, thank you all for your comments.

This project took me back to my childhood, in 1974, when I was 10 years old, I first came in contact with model kits, very expensive in my area (Athens, Greece), for my student pocket money.

So I rarely bought them and for this reason I got obsessed

With matchbox, airfix, revell vintage kits, and made a small collection of matchbox.

I remember as a child fooling around in the window of a bookstore, the boxes with incredible pictures of planes daringly maneuvering and tanks exploding.

The older ones treated them like games and the problem arose when I continued my hobby as a teenager, as I was dealing with ironic comments and I had to convince myself that I did not suffer from age regrassion.

In the 70s, 80s and 90s model kits were sold in my country in toy stores, convenience stores, department stores, supermarkets and even pharmacies, while of course there were the few specialty stores.

Even today, at the end of the 50's of my life, this occupation is treated as a whim of mine.

However, a few minutes a day are enough to overcome the difficulties of life (psychotherapy).

I hope we are all healthy and continue modelling.

Nick

• Like 3

On 05/02/2021 at 09:40, FatFlyHalf said:

Isn't this what it's all about?

I model in the old school fashion all the time.

And admit my skills have not moved on much but my knowledge has, so improvements show over time.

To me it's more 'a gentle form of therapy' than modelling.

And that's great brushwork on an old model that does look quite like an Fw190.

I couldn't agree more with above.....    Yes, great result...