Flagship forever——1/700 HMS Victory 104-gun first-rate ship of the line

The build photos were very interesting and the painting techniques. Apart from the photo etched parts, what was actually used for the rigging? Was it very fine wire, stretched plastic spurs or something else?

The kit makes up into a realistic miniature as shown in the hands of a very good modeller.

Congratulations on a superb model sailing ship model.

Thank you all!

On 2/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, Noel Smith said:

In my last post stretched plastic spurs should read stretched plastic sprue.

It's the Modelkasten metal rigging.

It's the best quality rigging I have used, so easy to glue and very stable to hold its shape(because it's metal).

It also gives the very natural curve effect due to its character(metal).

Highly recommended!

(Sorry their home page is only in Japanese.)

Modelkasten rigging products

Yufei

• Like 2

Truly stunning; the detail, painting, rigging and the wider collection - very, very jelly. I much prefer the yellow you've done to the pinkish hue they currently have on her too. 

I've also put my 1:700 model of this from somewhere else to one side after having purchased the artist hobby version (on sale). Now I just need to photoshop my hand onto yours to be happy with 'my' build... David

What a stunning build. Thank you also for putting the 'how I did it' photographs on here.

I had looked at this kit when it first came out, and I thought I would like to have a go at it, this intensifies that opinion. I just have to save up for it.

I would also like to say what fabulous photographs they are too.

All the best,

Ray

Thank you all for your encouragement!

It makes all effort and time invested so worthy!

I believe modelling is like some spiritual exercise.

There is simply no short cut to the final result, so it's so fair to everyone.

The more you spent your time, the more suffering and struggling you felt, the more satisfied result you will get.

Not an easy hobby especially in nowadays fast paced life, but it will not dissappear since the satisfaction it brings to people is simply unreplacable.

Just some of my thoughts. :) 

Thank you again!

Yufei

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Yufei:

Amazing work... thanks so much for sharing!!! Pure inspiration....!

May I ask which Modelkasten wire you used? And what kind of glue did you use to secure it in place?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Mike E.

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 8:22 AM, michaele said:

Dear Yufei:

Amazing work... thanks so much for sharing!!! Pure inspiration....!

May I ask which Modelkasten wire you used? And what kind of glue did you use to secure it in place?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Mike E.

Thank you!

I used 0.067mm metal rigging, the glue was gell stype CA reinforced by liquid CA as well.

I use extremely thin stretched plastic sprue to attach glue, by the way.

Hope it could be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/02/2021 at 13:54, cmatthewbacon said:

Just stunning... what amazing work. I don’t know how you managed rigging at the scale, but it looks brilliant. Your fleet is very impressive indeed!

best,

M.

What he said, I just don't know how you manage it :worthy: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2021 at 13:46, haneto said:

This is my first work finished in 2021, also the last work finished in the year of the rat. :)

It's the 1/700 full resin kit released by Artist Hobby.

I got the kit as a present from Artist Hobby boss so I tried to build it ASAP to appreciate his kindness.

The kit quality is very high, I also tried to weld the 4 masts since they were all assembled by brass rods.

Besides the small boats from Flyhawk, I used Northstar 1/700 sailor resin figures and Modelkasten 0.06mm metal rigging.

HMS Victory just used up a whole full set of brand new metal rigging!

Yes sailship rigging is indeed some nightmare...

Overall I enjoyed the built and HMS Victory, the flagship forever of RN, has always been must for my RN collection and now one little dream comes true.

Thanks for watching.

63beAwr.jpg

nQUwQzb.jpg

cLATyKw.jpg

YCKaHPC.jpg

tspnPrq.jpg

2FdHwpR.jpg

rQYhZdl.jpg

ZA8iN2f.jpg

cHOzh5r.jpg

wMFL3JG.jpg

bE48988.jpg

1ZWguDe.jpg

7hpfXAj.jpg

5md1cYI.jpg

0i0NYG8.jpg

fAuhqcI.jpg

qM7C4gB.jpg

gY8ZXpZ.jpg

BF8Jyv5.jpg

1uCAdgK.jpg

Sq8dD4m.jpg 

She looks fantastic! Just started my own Victory based on the 1959 era Revell kit. I doubt it will look as good as this. Love the figures. Brings the ship to life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 4:36 AM, haneto said:

Hope it may give you some inspiraton to challenge this small kit as well!

Yufei

Now you've explained it, it seems so easy. Hahahahahaha. Seriously, no. I wouldn't ever attempt something like this. I know exactly what would happen; five years in the stash, one mad weekend working on it, and one kit in the trash!

Thank you again for your nice comments!

On 7/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, NellyV said:

She looks fantastic! Just started my own Victory based on the 1959 era Revell kit. I doubt it will look as good as this. Love the figures. Brings the ship to life.

Yes I love to add figures on the ship and the reason is exactly what you said, to bring life to the vehicle. 

On 7/26/2021 at 2:26 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

Now you've explained it, it seems so easy. Hahahahahaha. Seriously, no. I wouldn't ever attempt something like this. I know exactly what would happen; five years in the stash, one mad weekend working on it, and one kit in the trash!

Believe me only patience is the trick.

Turn on some soft music, calm down and spend you time, finally you will achieve it!

And it will well worth the time and effort! ;)

Yufei

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, that is stunning (as is the rest of your RN Fleet), to think that you've produced that in 1/700 and it looks that good - mind blown. I've got aspirations to one day build the caldercraft 1/72 wooden version (if I can ever afford it), if I do and it looks half that good when built, I'll be a happy man.

• 4 weeks later...