Tamiya 1/12 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR, (Finished)

So, something new for me. After numerous planes, armor, cars and a ship I was wondering what to do next. After a quick look around the internet this caught my eye...........never tried a bike before so I figure now was the time to try.

Ordered yesterday from Jadlam, came this morning via the postie (though I did pay for 24hr delivery as had nothing else to do and was getting withdrawal symptoms!).

Let battle commence.

01.jpg
02.jpg

Edited by Starspell
Change to Finished
  • Like 3

@Mumbly First time out with a bike......this is staying strictly OOTB !  Used loads of AM on my last project which worked out 'not so cheap'..........staying a skinflint on this one 🤪

You don't need AM to make a Tamiya bike look great.  A bit of patience and some careful assembly and paintng and they're superb OOTB,  Once you have done this one though, fork kits and etch will be tempting you if you do another bike.

• Like 1

Well....so far so good.

So this is where I am after yesterdays session in the shed, engine assembled and in the frame.

Assembly and fit has been typically Tamiya good, mold-lines and seams minimal, what little there has been is easily cleaned up.

As someone who is not 'into' bikes and so never really looked at them I assume these bikes were always very clean, spotless even, as they were constanly maintained etc. so I figure that washes etc. are not going to be required and this will look 'showroom'..........correct?

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

• Like 1

MotoGP bikes are very clean, so no oils stains or leaks.  Use a wash to accent as this will help. 

Looking good so far, this kit is on the bucket list for me so watching with interest.

A little more progress this morning and yesterday evening.

In order for a tad more realism I took a 0.5mm drill to the rear brake disc and drilled out the cooling holes (think that's what they are!) then sprayed up with some chrome Alclad. didn't turn out too bad (tho messed up one hole which you will see below about 4 o'clock)

08.jpg

Also got the wheels sprayed up and decalled out for the green stripes.

09.jpg

As for the tyres......they have a mold line round the outside which I want to get rid of. As they are rubber I am not having much luck sanding them. Anyone have any tricks they use that can help point me in the right direction?

That is coming together very nicely.  I concur with Mumbly's notes about sanding the tyres and the pin wash for accenting depth.  This chap makes use of a panel line wash, maybe some useful ideas if you'd like to check it out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-owtxdKpq4&list=WL&index=180&t=107s

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I was being too cautious with my sanding, once I used some heavier grit the seam came off.

Quick question on the Bridgestone tyre decals: Are they rub on or waterslide...........or something else? Tips on the best way to apply them?

10.jpg

• Like 3

This is where I stand today:

Sorted the exhausts, Alclad Chrome then clear orange heavily thinned on the inlet end and clear blue on the other.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Earlier I did the tyre decals, front end a bit iffy, rear much better. first decal trashed (but luckily they give you 5!!) and I got better the more I did!
13.jpg

Exhausts fitted
14.jpg

Then the radiator, Alclad Stainless with Flory dirt dirt wash.
15.jpg

Also got the stand sprayed up as well.
16.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A couple more days tinkering on and off in the shed has bought me to this stage. It now looks like a bike 🤪

Getting toward a standstill now as I am still waiting for the Kawasaki Green spray to arrive, am being messed about by the courier....grrrr

Plumbing is now in, just a few bits remaining before all the cowling stuff for which I need the paint.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So, finally on the home straight. Got the green on Saturday morning. Paid for 48hr delivery.....got 9 days!!

Got everything sprayed up on Sat PM and then today spent a bit of time today starting to get the decals on.........not so easy with all the curves etc, but a good old dose of Set/Sol has got the first few down.

Will finish the rest over the next couple of evenings.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here it is, all finished up. Was a nice easy build, just right for my first bike. Fit is typically Tamiya good. Although I have no idea what the detail-up kits are like I feel that this looks good OOTB.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

Now then.........what do I do next as my meager stash is exhausted, maybe fall back on a cheap plane as I have a 'friend' who wants something for his house! Think the ubiquitous Spitfire may be on the cards 🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Starspell changed the title to Tamiya 1/12 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR, (Finished)