If you’re a Starfighter lover ....

RidgeRunner

Oh joy ! As you may have guessed the F-104 is my all - time favourite airplane, and that sound takes me back to my days at RAF Brüggen, when German , Dutch, Belgian and Canadian F-104's were frequent visitors to the base. Thanks for sharing this video, Ridgerunner. :cheers:    🙂.

Edited by Starfighter
  • Like 2

Mine too, mate :). I wasnt in the forces but I do remember them From those golden day’s from the perspective of a spotter :). My first ever was the slivers pair which came to our local BoB show at Biggin. As I recall, the first was 1973. From then until the end it was all

about Starfighters. I’ve travelled about to see them too, including base tours and over the fence watching, including Araxos, Villafranca, Luke, Bodo, Rimini, Tanagra, Erding, Memmingen, and many trips to Volkel. :) Great times! Of course the Priory and Elder Forest exercises always produced many over the U.K. :)

Martin

• Like 2

The Starfighter is a bit before my time so I've only recently discovered it's memorable howl. What a sound! Sounds just like it's name suggests it should. Thanks for posting.

Edited by Avgas

A bit before my time too but the sound of that engine!!!!!

Would love to see one fly in the flesh one day.  I wonder if that Norwegian one will make to these shores one day?

Thanks for posting 

James 

Just brilliant. I got spooked by one of these at speed on Salisbury plain in 84/85. Even if you’re not into aviation this noise has to make you look up........

• Like 1

Takes me right back to...1976.... first visit to Malta with 100 Sqdn, lots of Italian 104's doing touch 'n go...

Didn't quite compare with 11 Sqdns lightnings... still my 2nd favourite after the Vulcan...

nice sound still....

DaveH

• Like 1

Great sound,My first ever visit abroad was 1977 two weeks on the coast just south of Rimini,every day I heard this sound on the day we

flew home there was an airshow at the base shared with the airport so I finally found out what was making the sound!

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great sound,My first ever visit abroad was 1977 two weeks on the coast just south of Rimini,every day I heard this sound on the day we

flew home there was an airshow at the base shared with the airport so I finally found out what was making the sound!

Ah, Rimini :). I went there a couple of times during the ‘104S days, Steve. I was lucky to get jump seat rides from Gatwick on w-pattern flights, meaning that the aircraft would go to RMI on the first leg, return to another U.K. airport and make a further leg out to RMI later in the day. It meant I could spend a few hours around base. There was a great little cafe at the end of the runway where I used to sit, sip coffees and watch the local F-104s plus various G91Ys, T-33s, P166s, TF-104Gs and others bash the circuit. :). On my second trip I went with a mate and we walked the entire perimeter. :) The only negative on my first trip was not getting on the return flight and having to take a Monarch 720 to Luton. :(  

Martin

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

The only negative on my first trip was not getting on the return flight and having to take a Monarch 720 to Luton.

That was my first flight ever Martin,Boeing 707 from Gatwick British Airtour's,I suppose the aircraft were ex-long haul nearing the end of their 

career what a first flight too landed in the dark banking over the sea with the whole Adriatic Riviera lit up on a beautiful clear night.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That was my first flight ever Martin,Boeing 707 from Gatwick British Airtour's

I flew on them too. The only time was Easter 1976 LGW-Basle-LGW. The previous year I had done the same trip - a LAAS weekend around Switzerland - but on the Balair DC-6. A much nice flight :)

• Like 1

My first encounter with the 104 was at a Culdrose show one summer in 1970. It was the Slivers arriving the evening before the show and I was staying in a pub down the valley at Gweek. What an eerie sound it was.B@@&+#marvellous!!!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tigerman60 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2Sc8FvCiM

Dutch AF F-104G, Volkel AFB.

Here is the premier Volkel YouTube :)

crank up the volume to max!!! The sound at 2:45 Is fantastic! I loved the taxing sound of the ‘104 too :). I was fortunate to get to three Spottersdags in 1978 and 1983 :)

Martin

• Like 2