Airfix 1/48 scale Gloster Meteor F.8 of 74 Squadron RAF Horsham St Faith, 1950

Beautiful build and the photography is excellent, very atmospheric!

I lived in the married quarters across from the airbase back in '70-'72 when my dad was based at Neatishead and I'm currently looking into which squadrons were based there in WW2 to do a few models.

Davey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Why was the opening of the gun bay such a chore?  Did you use aftermarket?  It looks great from here.

It wasn't really a chore. I felt that the area could have been more detailed, but I was hoping to be able to have the gun covers 'on' or 'off' to vary the display for the photographs. But once the guns are all assembled the covers don't quite fit and can't be used to cover the guns.

The air brakes just looked too simple and lack detail especially the missing actuator jacks when in the open position. 

The only aftermarket used was the decal sheet. I cut out and scratch built navigation lights in the wing tips (don't know why these were not clear parts) and I changed the pitot tube for brass tube. That's it. The kit does have alternative ailerons and I used the older versions. Obviously I used the narrow intakes and the older style canopy to represent the earlier F.8.

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

I am thinking of full rockets plus the Eduard photo etch for the flaps. It may be a “project killer” and slightly inaccurate (flaps were seldom open) but looks amazing. 

Flaps sounds adventurous. That'll need proper cutting into the under wing parts as they are moulded closed. I think the Korean version comes with rockets in the kit. Good luck on those flaps.

Just now, The Shearwater said:

What a great looking model. Good work. Love that backdrop too.

Thanks! The backdrop is a quick snap taken while on the way home from work, somewhere just south of Lechlade-on-Thames.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, CplPunishment said:

Very kind words, thank you. On a previous post some years back somebody here suggested that wheel chocks would just tip the balance for the photograph. I took that feedback and ever since I have tried to set the scene. It really is just a few bits (mostly from Airfix) plonked down and arranged on the table top. It's not what I would think of as a diorama - more case of seem dressing - and took seconds to pose.

That's a very helpful insight. Thank you.

Edited by chrisbob12
  • Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 13:19, CplPunishment said:

Yeah!! I saw! Thanks. I'm not normally as prolific with my builds - a model every couple of years is more normal - but with 4 in one year, I'm getting used to seeing some of the same characters in the modelling community pop-up regularly and on multiple sites!

Thanks for positive comments. Cheers.

Thinking you should try and make more models! this one certainly gives  a lot of enjoyment to others.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 12:25 PM, Sky Keg said:

:gobsmacked: This Meteor could easily pass for the real thing.  Just a superb presentation from the subject to the outstanding photography!!! :worthy:

Mike

On 2/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, gazza l said:

Really nice modelling, the photos are very realistic especially the first one... I thought it was a reference photo!

gazza l 

On 2/5/2021 at 10:34 AM, robgizlu said:

Agree with all of the above - beauftifully finished Meteor, expertly presented and photographed B)

Rob 

On 2/4/2021 at 1:32 PM, SAT69 said:

An excellent Meteor and diorama. I'm impressed with your photo work, especially the one picture that looks like a well worn photo. I don't know how you did it but it looks very impressive!

On 2/4/2021 at 5:16 PM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Well done Paul. Very impressive modelling and photography.  Your photos look look like genuine photos of the real thing.

A couple or three comments about the photography there... Thanks for the positive comments, but I'm no photographer. Nor do I build complex or detailed dioramas. Here's a shot of the set up... see below. 

There's more information on my website about the 'tricks' and camera settings, if you'd like to know more...  webpage link = Taking Pictures of Models

145850255_10159708306832345_161498723884

Cheers,

Paul.

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1