Airfix 1/48 scale Gloster Meteor F.8 of 74 Squadron RAF Horsham St Faith, 1950

I nearly fell off the bar stool when I saw this!  Brilliant interpretation of hi speed silver!  A hint of weathering along the main structure. Of all the Meteors I have seen in this scale, this one appears most realistic. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, John_W said:

Very nice build. I think that fire extinguisher needs a trip to the guard room where some poor erk on "extras" can give it a wire wool scrub and a repaint.

Yeah, that over-chipped fire extinguisher. I used masking fluid which was a bit gloopie. I'd use hairspray and a toothpick if I was to do it again. My previous builds suffer from the same trait.

Thanks for the comments!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hopkp said:

I dunno, it looks pretty good to me with everything opened up.....I'd be very happy with it if I'd built it!

Thanks for the kind comments. The gun bays are not too bad - I just can't fit the covers now that there are actually guns in there. But it's really the air brakes. At this scale I think they look a bit simple and crude. They look 'thick' and 'plastic'. So PE would help, or some resin jacks propping them open. Or just glue them shut. By the time I came to fit them everything was painted and weathered and I didn't fancy a re-paint.

Hey-ho. 2 more in the stash so plenty of chances to improve (not counting four Classic Airframes kits, the Sword Mk 14 and the 2 earlier versions from Tamiya! 🙄).

That’s the best 1/48 Meteor I’ve ever seen and is an utterly brilliant representation of the real thing, not just the flawless finish but the diorama and peripherals. It’s outstanding and museum standard, I wish I could make them like this. Very well done.

• Like 1

i'm very impressed. I loved the fire extinguisher on the apron!  Your photography is real quality. Thank you for sharing this. Regards

Andy

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

That’s the best 1/48 Meteor I’ve ever seen and is an utterly brilliant representation of the real thing, not just the flawless finish but the diorama and peripherals. It’s outstanding and museum standard, I wish I could make them like this. Very well done.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 10:22 AM, Lord Riot said:

Very kind words, thank you. On a previous post some years back somebody here suggested that wheel chocks would just tip the balance for the photograph. I took that feedback and ever since I have tried to set the scene. It really is just a few bits (mostly from Airfix) plonked down and arranged on the table top. It's not what I would think of as a diorama - more case of scene dressing - and took seconds to pose.

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 3

I`ve already seen and commented on this on Facebook and I`ll say again,.... you`ve done a superb job and it looks real in the photos Paul,..... superb job mate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyot said:

I`ve already seen and commented on this on Facebook and I`ll say again,.... you`ve done a superb job and it looks real in the photos Paul,..... superb job mate. 

Yeah!! I saw! Thanks. I'm not normally as prolific with my builds - a model every couple of years is more normal - but with 4 in one year, I'm getting used to seeing some of the same characters in the modelling community pop-up regularly and on multiple sites!

Thanks for positive comments. Cheers.

• Like 1

An excellent Meteor and diorama. I'm impressed with your photo work, especially the one picture that looks like a well worn photo. I don't know how you did it but it looks very impressive!

• Like 2

Very nice Meatbox Paul - Impressed with the "High Speed Silver" finish and will give that a try sometime. Nice pictures too but you really do need to clean that lens! (😉)

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1