RFM Panzer III + Extras

Jasper dog

We are still in buisness!

....just getting more involved!

Thanks @THEscaleSHOW, @Hewy and @Retired Bob we have to laugh at this stuff, the  missing parts appear, no idea how but, hey-ho!

Really appreciate the encouragement....before I fall off the cliff into painting the turret interior,  why-O-why....

RFM provides a substantial amount of interior detail, I couldn't help myself...so many open hatches! (Ok winter in Russia is not the place to encourage a draft but...)

The pics...

spacer.png

Turret interior with primer coat on, I'll do the hatches in exterior colour,  whatever that will be...

spacer.png

How many parts just to build the commanders cupola? (30+ and that's only because I couldn't be bothered with all the photo etch bits!)

spacer.png

Even built the PE lid for the rear turret bin, no idea why. Guess I'll have to paint the interior here too!

spacer.png

Gun breech primed and the turret bin asking to be...

This really isn't the build for a GB!!!!

Ttfn

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

How many parts just to build the commanders cupola? (30+ and that's only because I couldn't be bothered with all the photo etch bits!)

With the p/e I make it 49 parts and that's just for the cupola, that is crazy.  I won't be getting one of these in a hurry. :mental:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

With the p/e I make it 49 parts and that's just for the cupola, that is crazy.  I won't be getting one of these in a hurry. :mental:

Sounds about right, I thought with a little chap in situ little of the pe detail will be seen. Just who would spot the etch wiper blades on the commanders vision blocks behind the armoured covers?

I don't mind having it and then being able to choose what's unnecessary, if that makes sense.

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Oh my life the parts count, mind the bin lid looks quality in pe, you've got to have that open

Yeah, it didn't look bad at first glance at the instructions.....🤔🤣😂

I was going to use the plastic option but thought "I've got the pe bits why not do it and see how it looks..."

Think I'll fill the bin with "stuff" and leave it open. 

Still undecided as to which theatre to finish it in...

The original idea had been panzer grey with white wash but half tempted by North Africa.

Thanks chaps,  appreciate the comments. 

Darryl 

• Like 2

I Think the detail available is amazing.  

But whats used would depend on the way you wanted to display the finished product.

If your not going to see it though, it does seem a waste of precious time/energy.

But at least the option is there for many configuration, although you would need to really plan whats needed, and whats not.

Paul

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Sounds about right, I thought with a little chap in situ little of the pe detail will be seen. Just who would spot the etch wiper blades on the commanders vision blocks behind the armoured covers?

I don't mind having it and then being able to choose what's unnecessary, if that makes sense.

Yeah, it didn't look bad at first glance at the instructions.....🤔🤣😂

I was going to use the plastic option but thought "I've got the pe bits why not do it and see how it looks..."

Think I'll fill the bin with "stuff" and leave it open. 

Still undecided as to which theatre to finish it in...

The original idea had been panzer grey with white wash but half tempted by North Africa.

Thanks chaps,  appreciate the comments. 

Darryl 

Hey Darryl

If you decide to go with Panzer Grey and WW, what colours and technique (HS or chipping fluid) are you going to use?
I am doing some tests with Tamiya and MM on HS and Worn effects layer...
Just no risk  ☝️😁

MD

• Like 1

Hi Darryl. I'm pleased the missing parts turned up. Weird.  That really is an impressively detailed kit - but the parts count does sound rather on the high side!! That bin lid is awesome and should definitely be on display! Hope the next stages go well. 🤞

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hewy said:

You're  in the driving seat but me being a bit of a back seat driver (mrs hewy makes me nervous) I'd  go grey and a whitewash 👍

Without going into details Glynn, if it's Mrs Hewy doing the driving that makes you nervous, then use use my motto, "a woman's place is in the passenger seat"

I won't mention the bit about staying quiet, sometimes they take offence, no sense of humour some people. :shrug:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hey Darryl

If you decide to go with Panzer Grey and WW, what colours and technique (HS or chipping fluid) are you going to use?
I am doing some tests with Tamiya and MM on HS and Worn effects layer...
Just no risk  ☝️😁

MD

Hi MD, if going for the whitewash I'll use the hairspray technique, did the Meng M4A3 that way and whilst it still needs refinement it certainly worked ok for a first attempt. 

spacer.png

Towards the end of the wip should be more detail and suggestions for improvement. 

Hope it's of use, just ignore the lengthy blathering....

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, diases said:

I Think the detail available is amazing.  

But whats used would depend on the way you wanted to display the finished product.

If your not going to see it though, it does seem a waste of precious time/energy.

But at least the option is there for many configuration, although you would need to really plan whats needed, and whats not.

Paul

Thanks Paul, the detail available oob is very impressive.

Entirely agree,  when time is valuable I didn't see the point in spending it on stuff that wont be seen.

At least it all does go together well, certainly the plastic parts.

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Darryl. I'm pleased the missing parts turned up. Weird.  That really is an impressively detailed kit - but the parts count does sound rather on the high side!! That bin lid is awesome and should definitely be on display! Hope the next stages go well. 🤞

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thanks Stix, still puzzled as to how the missing parts turned up, happy they did though!

No pleasing us modelling types, either not enough detail or too much!

Be glad to start throwing some paint at it!

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

You're  in the driving seat but me being a bit of a back seat driver (mrs hewy makes me nervous) I'd  go grey and a whitewash 👍

North Africa is quicker but I had originally intended winter whitewash...🤔

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Without going into details Glynn, if it's Mrs Hewy doing the driving that makes you nervous, then use use my motto, "a woman's place is in the passenger seat"

I won't mention the bit about staying quiet, sometimes they take offence, no sense of humour some people. :shrug:

Pretty close to the mark Bob,  I just tend to let her drive when we left the pub...remember those?

The journey home goes really quickly with eyes closed

Suffice to say she hasn't really driven in 12mths!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Pretty close to the mark Bob,  I just tend to let her drive when we left the pub...remember those?

I stopped drinking when I met my other half so that's never been a problem.

30 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

The journey home goes really quickly with eyes closed

I daren't close my eyes if she is driving. I have to draw her attention to roundabouts, junctions and such things,  Not that she appreciates such advice, if I'm not there she just has an accident, and blames me for not being there to point out the hazard. :fraidnot:

• Haha 2

On 01/03/2021 at 21:13, Jasper dog said:

Hi MD, if going for the whitewash I'll use the hairspray technique, did the Meng M4A3 that way and whilst it still needs refinement it certainly worked ok for a first attempt. 

spacer.png

Towards the end of the wip should be more detail and suggestions for improvement. 

Hope it's of use, just ignore the lengthy blathering....

Atb

Darryl 

this is exactly the effect I find very cool 😎
I will hope that my hairspray does not let me down!

MD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

this is exactly the effect I find very cool 😎
I will hope that my hairspray does not let me down!

MD

Apparently the type of hairspray is important, a brand called Tresemme would appear to be the popular one for the job, saying that I used a really cheap medium strength one and sprayed it straight from the can.

Atb

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looking superb, Darryl !!

Glad to see some folks are still at it ;)

Thanks mate, some of us have to keep the show on the road! :whistle:

Good to hear from you, hope you're all keeping safe and well, looking forward to seeing you back at the bench..:like:

Andy is having a "thing" with vintage Tamiya plastic and as for Brad....:shrug:

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

This does look insanely good Darryl
A bit too much brass for me to want the kit, but your build is great (love that turret bin).

Thanks Robert, you're not wrong about a bit too much brass...I've skipped a numbers of brass items as they won't be visible or the plastic option was just as good...

To be fair the plastic is pretty good and the detail is more than adequate for me!

Cheers

• Like 4

Turret painted and assembled.

Even with the hatches open not a whole lot is visible so a quick base coat of white primer followed up with Ak Cremeweiss and a pin wash of interior wash.

A few details picked out with a suitable colour, gun breech, seat cushion, mg etc and then top, bottom and mantlet / main gun assembled. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Commanders cupola had its vision blocks added once painted clear green.

The inside of the hatches are awaiting paint, panzer grey,  this will suffice no matter which front I decide upon, Russia or North Africa....

Once painted they can be tacked in place the rear bin added and the turret can be primed. 

Speaking of primed the hull has its initial coat of black primer applied. Before painting commences I'll need to add a few white highlights to the upper surfaces and panel centres. Might prove unnecessary if I do go for a whitewash finish but..

spacer.png

spacer.png

Most external fittings have now been fitted to.

Just for a little relief before breaking out the panzer grey thought I'd make a start on the tracks...

spacer.png

RFM supply a jig for the tracks... once one gets into the swing of it they aren't actually bad to assemble. Hopefully if assembled correctly they should be workable..🤞

Atb and thanks for looking. 

Darryl 

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Liking the progress on this one Darryl , you leaving the side doors open on the turret?  

Thanks Dan, very kind! 👍

That's the current plan, particularly if it ends up in North Africa..🤔

Not sure a cooling draft would be appreciated on the Eastern front in winter...

Cheers

Just now, Jasper dog said:

Thanks Dan, very kind! 👍

That's the current plan, particularly if it ends up in North Africa..🤔

Not sure a cooling draft would be appreciated on the Eastern front in winter...

Cheers

Depends on what rations they had the night before I think mate :D

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Depends on what rations they had the night before I think mate :D

Trapped in a confined space with a diet of sausage, ripe Sauerkraut and a Bitburger or two....! 

Could be a little....chewy!🤢

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Hi Darryl. Great to see the progress you have made and it is looking superb. Great to see the paint going on too. I hope the tracks go together okay.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1