RFM Panzer III + Extras

Jasper dog

Right time to crack on...

Tool and kit etc assembled and ready to go!

spacer.png

Coat of hairspray first of all applied to the ancillary bits, wheels etc...

Mix up a little white with a drop of buff or in this instance the closest colour I had, Washable dust. This is then sprayed over the afore mentioned ancillaries, the turret and hull...Spot the big big mistake yet...?

Whats arguably the crucial part of the hairspray process..??

Yep I've forgotten to hairspray the hull and turret before spraying white!!:doh:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hull and turret after a very hurrid scrub with a wet brush....how the chuff do I forget the hairspray....!:shrug:

Ancillaries:

spacer.png

Hull and turret painted white, pre worn away.

spacer.png

Appear to lost some pics but this is then scrubbed and another white mix applied and scrubbed away.

Then a straight white applied randomly and then scrubbed..

Produces...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Apologies for the poor pics they haven't quite picked up the effect, however!

Next job will be gloss coat, decals,  gloss coat and then various washes and filters.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 6

Hi Darryl. Good work on the white - if slightly annoying for you to start with!! Sounds like the sort of thing I'd forget to do if I airbrushed!! I think I'd leave the whiteness as it is - by the time you have your other weathering over it will look fine. Obviously you have got to be happy with it though.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks interesting Darryl.  My opinion ... no more white on these pieces.
Not sure about the remaining turret hatches ...

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Darryl. Good work on the white - if slightly annoying for you to start with!! Sounds like the sort of thing I'd forget to do if I airbrushed!! I think I'd leave the whiteness as it is - by the time you have your other weathering over it will look fine. Obviously you have got to be happy with it though.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks chaps, couldn't believe it, got so carried away and forgot the hairspray part!

Half the issue I think is the photos,  the camera on the phone isn't picking up the colours well. See the thing in reality it looks better, imo at least, than the pics..

Anyway I've gloss coated it ready for decals and then I'll seal it.

Depending how the mood takes I might lightly spray around them with a fresh coat of hairspray and white but.... this time with Tamiya white as opposed to Vallejo. 

From what I've read recently the Tamiya works better for this job than the Vallejo. 

(Or I might just leave as is and crack on....thanks Robert and Stix, decisions, decisions...)

Then weathering! 

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks chaps, couldn't believe it, got so carried away and forgot the hairspray part!

Half the issue I think is the photos,  the camera on the phone isn't picking up the colours well. See the thing in reality it looks better, imo at least, than the pics..

Anyway I've gloss coated it ready for decals and then I'll seal it.

Depending how the mood takes I might lightly spray around them with a fresh coat of hairspray and white but.... this time with Tamiya white as opposed to Vallejo. 

From what I've read recently the Tamiya works better for this job than the Vallejo. 

(Or I might just leave as is and crack on....thanks Robert and Stix, decisions, decisions...)

Then weathering! 

Thanks again

Darryl 

Research young man very important. I think you have the white about right mate I wouldn't be adding any more looks good to me 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

Absolutely correct young Andy, that's why I will tell all this Ausf J belongs to the 3rd motorised infantry division, Stalingrad, winter 42.

As for the model, decals on and sealed with a clear coat.

Atb

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Absolutely correct young Andy, that's why I will tell all this Ausf J belongs to the 3rd motorised infantry division, Stalingrad, winter 42.

As for the model, decals on and sealed with a clear coat.

Atb

So Darryl what's next after the Pzr III 🤔

9 hours ago, Andy J said:

So Darryl what's next after the Pzr III 🤔

Crikey mate, III about half done and already wanting g to know what's next...🤔

Well, need to finish Tiger and Titanic but as the Mrs bought me the Tamiya Valentine ...be rude not too! Otherwise had been going to go Russian, or maybe a Dragon sdkfz 250 or maybe a British Sherman.....choice overload kicking in..😖

• Haha 1

As previously suggested gloss coated, decals on, all six of them, and another gloss coat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Said it before but it used to be the decals marked near completion...now it's the half way point....

Going for a white filter next to blend the decals in. 

Thanks for looking. 

Darryl 

• Like 7

Playing with Abteilung 502 Snow White,  really liking this stuff, so versatile. 

Used it as a filter, building intensity and for adding streaks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The differences are possibly difficult to pick up on the photos but...definitely going in the right direction, imho at least!

• Like 12

After some time spent weathering..... this could go one of two ways,  acceptable or the bin.

Its suffering from an excess of layers and starting to lose definition, particularly around the transmission covers. On the one hand it needed a protective layer of acrylic over the oil paints as they started to move with subsequent processes but....the panel detail is suffering. 

Anyway enough of the excuses. 

Thinned brown oil paint as a dirty wash over most surfaces, an acrylic matt coat to seal and then start the chipping with tones of panzer grey, ak chipping colour, ak weathering pencils....and still more to go. Yes I'm using this as an experimental job for various process........

And now for the pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yeah, think it'll be safe say this will look worn but hey Stalingrad winter 42....

However should really have battered the bodywork beforehand. 🤫

• Like 12

On 22/03/2021 at 10:52, Longbow said:

Looks great Darryl !! 

Now crack on, and stop stalling, there's a good chap ;)

On 22/03/2021 at 18:19, PlaStix said:

Hi Darryl. Yeah that weathering looks fantastic so far. Very nicely done.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 22/03/2021 at 03:41, Andy J said:

That looks very acceptable to me Darryl just how I like them plenty of wear and tear 🙂👍

Thanks fellas, always appreciate the encouragement!

• Like 1

More done....keep plugging away.👍

Apologies now, time has been tight so it's been a toss up between keeping up with BM and progressing the build....

Further weathering done on the Pzr III, mostly rust staining around the mild steel brackets, fastenings, exhausts etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And of course tracks completed and fitted along with wheels.

Tracks in all honesty arn't all that bad, one side did break up whilst fitting but worked out ok in the end. Perhaps if I'd been a little more careful in the assembly they would have worked better but they do the job!

spacer.png

spacer.png

RFM suggests 91 links per side.... the bottom pic has 90 links and still a tad slack the top 89.

Tracks treated so far with a pale grey undercoat followed by a coat of AK track wash, the contact surfaces have had a run over with polished steel pigment. 

Tools painted and fitted, still have a few bits and pieces to add to the hull before moving onto the turret but starting to look something like..🤞

spacer.png

So essentially a weeks work has got us too...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once it nears completion I'll add more weathering, mud etc, around the tracks, running gear and lower hull.

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

More done....keep plugging away.👍

Apologies now, time has been tight so it's been a toss up between keeping up with BM and progressing the build....

Further weathering done on the Pzr III, mostly rust staining around the mild steel brackets, fastenings, exhausts etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And of course tracks completed and fitted along with wheels.

Tracks in all honesty arn't all that bad, one side did break up whilst fitting but worked out ok in the end. Perhaps if I'd been a little more careful in the assembly they would have worked better but they do the job!

spacer.png

spacer.png

RFM suggests 91 links per side.... the bottom pic has 90 links and still a tad slack the top 89.

Tracks treated so far with a pale grey undercoat followed by a coat of AK track wash, the contact surfaces have had a run over with polished steel pigment. 

Tools painted and fitted, still have a few bits and pieces to add to the hull before moving onto the turret but starting to look something like..🤞

spacer.png

So essentially a weeks work has got us too...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once it nears completion I'll add more weathering, mud etc, around the tracks, running gear and lower hull.

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

Someone's been busy 🙂👍. Nice work Darryl this is gonna look awesome when finished 👏 👍 🙂

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Andy J said:

Someone's been busy 🙂👍. Nice work Darryl this is gonna look awesome when finished 👏 👍 🙂

Thanks Andy, taking shape now and starting to come together. 

Had to put the usual BM shinnaigins aside to push it forwards though but I see you've been holding the side up admirably in the Tiger "Super B" ruckus! 👍

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Smashing job darryl, are you going to create a little scene /base for it?

Thanks Hewy, I'd like to do a simple little base, they just add a bit of context.

It's time as much as anything, plenty if time left in the GB but another batch of loft insulation arrived has arrived this last few weeks and fancy tucking into some of that little lot.... really must stop browsing Jumblies,  Jadlam, Ebay etc...

Thanks chaps.👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

but another batch of loft insulation arrived has arrived

🤗 buildable loft insulation, a superb invention, and its not as itchy as the yellow stinky stuff

• Haha 1