RFM Panzer III + Extras

Jasper dog

35 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

What's your count, I have 1 Valiant, 4 Victors and 5 Vulcans, plus 2 of the new Vulcans on pre-order. :mental:

Oh dear....just don't let the wife find out, :giggle: 

I've got some flocking you could add to the figure for extra realism 🙂👍

• Like 1

3d printed details for the engine deck, locating brackets for the tow cables.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Exhaust tail pipe drilled out, probably not essential but a slight improvement. (If curious the bottom one is as RFM supplied,  top one has been opened out a touch).

spacer.png

With hindsight probably should have fitted the details after after mounting the decks...bit of a tight/fiddly fit!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lower hull essentially complete,  just the extra armour on the glacis plate to fit...and of course the wheels and tracks....

Not entirely convinced this was a wise choice for the GB!

Thanks for looking in!

Darryl 

• Like 11

Possibly the most awkward aspect so far and one probably of my own doing but not sure how.

The glacis add on armour plate, you'd think a drop fit.....

Front plate, plastic, the row of  brackets along the top, plastic, the top and sides etch no problem....

All fits together fine off the model but come to fit it..

spacer.png

spacer.png

Glue brackets first and the bottom of the armour plate sits high above the transmission cover, not gap in first pic, and that's clamped!

Once securely glued it alters the angle of the top brackets...

Hey-ho, smear of filler to fill the bottom gap.

Not sure what I got wrong but it'll be fine once done.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 13

Hi Darryl. Well, despite some fit issues, it is really looking impressive. The details, including your extras, look awesome. Don't second guess your choice of kit - you still have two and a half months - and it is going to look excellent!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andy J said:

You're doing a great job on what seems to be a fiddly kit mate 👍. Onwards and upwards Darryl this will look great when finished 🙂👍

Thanks Andy, it's not really an awkward kit just involved,  that coupled with my snails pace modelling.....

Once I've got the turret assembled I can start lobbing a bit of paint around!

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Darryl. Well, despite some fit issues, it is really looking impressive. The details, including your extras, look awesome. Don't second guess your choice of kit - you still have two and a half months - and it is going to look excellent!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, as I've just said to Andy it's been really good so far. Not to mention I suspect the fit issue is probably self inflicted, just not sure what I did...

Thanks fellas

Darryl 

That looks a bit of struggle Darryl, nothing worse than when something fits perfectly but as soon as you add glue it suddenly doesn't fit. :shrug:

I always get the feeling when something has to be clamped like that, one day it will just go BOIIIINNNNG and bits will fly across the room. :unsure:

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2021 at 10:04, Jasper dog said:

Possibly the most awkward aspect so far and one probably of my own doing but not sure how.

The glacis add on armour plate, you'd think a drop fit.....

Front plate, plastic, the row of  brackets along the top, plastic, the top and sides etch no problem....

All fits together fine off the model but come to fit it..

spacer.png

spacer.png

Glue brackets first and the bottom of the armour plate sits high above the transmission cover, not gap in first pic, and that's clamped!

Once securely glued it alters the angle of the top brackets...

Hey-ho, smear of filler to fill the bottom gap.

Not sure what I got wrong but it'll be fine once done.

Atb

Darryl 

Wow, so many details and add-ons, it must look very realistic when finished.

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2021 at 18:26, Dads203 said:

That's looking fantastic Darryl, shaping up into another top notch build fella :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan, think the shape you've mentioned is possible something like a pear!

😯🤔 😅

On 24/02/2021 at 19:38, Retired Bob said:

That looks a bit of struggle Darryl, nothing worse than when something fits perfectly but as soon as you add glue it suddenly doesn't fit. :shrug:

I always get the feeling when something has to be clamped like that, one day it will just go BOIIIINNNNG and bits will fly across the room. :unsure:

You're probably right Bob,  if it goes boiiiinnnng there certainly will be bits flying across the room!

And it hasn't stopped fighting me yet either!

Its decided the best way it can annoy is by parts pinging from tweezers or slipping from fingers never to be seen again..... One part of the breech guard, no matter can't be seen but the other is the locking ring for the barrel....

I've spent hours crawling around with a torch but no luck, its disappeared.🤔

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Moving along nicley this👍

3 hours ago, witjas4 said:

Wow, so many details and add-ons, it must look very realistic when finished.

Thanks chaps, unfortunately the kit and I are having a bit of a falling out at the moment.....

Sure I'll subdue it eventually....🤞

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I've spent hours crawling around with a torch but no luck, its disappeared.🤔

I've managed to find all the bits that I've dropped, just a pity about my accident with a bottle of glue. :undecided:

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks chaps, unfortunately the kit and I are having a bit of a falling out at the moment.....

Sure I'll subdue it eventually....🤞

this happens in every good relationship-listen to what the model is trying to tell you 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Darryl. Sounds like you have hit a bit of a rough patch. Always annoying when that happens!! Hope you manage to get sorted okay soon.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel for you darryl, somtimes bad luck can come in waves,if its any consolation I'm  in a skirmish too atm the tracks on mine built up very well, followed the instructions👍,right amount of links ,👍do they fit well , nope, I'm  moving on, cmon, move on with me😀

• Like 3

5 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

this happens in every good relationship-listen to what the model is trying to tell you 😁

Hmmmmm, should have gone for the simplicity of Dragon?

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Darryl. Sounds like you have hit a bit of a rough patch. Always annoying when that happens!! Hope you manage to get sorted okay soon.

Kind regards, 

Stix

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I feel for you darryl, somtimes bad luck can come in waves,if its any consolation I'm  in a skirmish too atm the tracks on mine built up very well, followed the instructions👍,right amount of links ,👍do they fit well , nope, I'm  moving on, cmon, move on with me😀

I haven't even contemplated the tracks yet, think I still have some Fruils somewhere if I need something quick and easy!

🍺

Thanks chaps, I don't give up easily and I'm not prepared to give in to a pile of tan coloured plastic, this is supposed to be fun and relaxing, right?

However I really appreciate your comments and encouragement,  cheers. 👍 🤪

Now for the weirdness!

Regardless of the loss of the barrel locking ring, I reckoned I could work around it, the other missing piece wouldn't be seen anyway so press on....

Looked down at the instructions...

spacer.png

This photo is exactly as I saw it this morning....

I've had the booklet inside out, shaken, every page turned etc etc....nothing, yet this morning, the missing ring...

Glanced down at the floor and the second missing piece reveals itself, WTF, just WTF!!!

Putting it down to Gremlins.

Anyway, 99% complete, just no locking ring fitted yet!

spacer.png

Etch is supplied as an alternative for the added armour to the mantlet but really didn't see the advantage to it, honest!

Never have I come across a more comprehensive breech and mantlet assembly, the barrel is even spring loaded, no idea why I'd want it to be but...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Putting it down to Gremlins.

Pesky little blighters aren't they Darryl, I've had that sort of thing happen to me, or worse when you never see the missing bit again. (cue X-Files theme)

Crack on mate, you'll beat the blighter yet. :like:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/02/2021 at 21:27, Andy J said:

Nice one Darryl that's the spirit mate 👍...onwards and upwards is the only way to go 🙂👍

Cheers bud, absolutely, press on regardless!

On 26/02/2021 at 22:15, Retired Bob said:

Pesky little blighters aren't they Darryl, I've had that sort of thing happen to me, or worse when you never see the missing bit again. (cue X-Files theme)

Crack on mate, you'll beat the blighter yet. :like:

You ain't kidding, don't know what they have against it but they never miss a chance!

Spent more time crawling around on the floor looking for bits than actually modelling recently!

Cheers fellas!

• Haha 1

On 26/02/2021 at 22:27, Andy J said:

Nice one Darryl that's the spirit mate 👍...onwards and upwards is the only way to go 🙂👍

Hey Darryl

I hope the build goes better and without problems 👍

The setbacks are not motivating, but I think that every good modeller has already made these experiences.
I'm sure in the end it will be forgotten, so don't fret any further.
If something like that happens to me, i just put the model aside for a few days. the distance helps to calm down again and to get new motivation.
Look at it from the point of view: the fact that you are annoyed shows your level of ambition in construction.

What Andy wrote, I can absolutely agree with ...onwards and upwards is the only way to go!

MD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Spent more time crawling around on the floor looking for bits than actually modelling recently!

I had to put a laugh emoji, It's either that or cry sometimes.  Having lost some pieces once, I was determined to find them, I moved all the furniture, checking it as I did, emptied the hoover and hoovered the room....did I find them, in a word...NO! :wtf:

• Thanks 1