RFM Panzer III + Extras

Jasper dog

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice choice, I’ve have been seeing these AMMO products coming through, it will be nice to see how they are.

The Ammo clamps are nice, not a huge amount compared to some manufacturers I understand but we'll see how they work out....

Perhaps more importantly, see how effective the optivisor is....

Atb

Thought I'd better at least make a start on this one:

spacer.png

Quick box contents shot, Inc the RFM upgrade set which includes more photoetch and some 3d printed details (extinguisher and cable ends). 

The RFM kit is pretty comprehensive and probably doesn't require too much in the way of extras. 

The build starts with the hull bottom and fitting the mounts for the torsion bars before assembling the lower hull sides and joining to the bottom.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hull tub assembled prior to fitting torsion bars, shock absorbers and swinging arms.

spacer.png

Opted for the simplified shocker absorber and connected to the arm. The alternative, which is included, is a working multipart shocker.

spacer.png

Didn't see the advantage with working suspension for what I wanted here.

spacer.png

Torsion bars, arms, shock absorbers and track tensioners fitted along with mounts for the return rollers and for drive wheels.

spacer.png

Have to say RFM have come on since doing the Tiger, which isn't a bad kit btw. Everything fits well and as you'd expect and so far at least no nasty surprises!

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 13

Hi Steve, if they go together anything like the Tiger ones should be ok if slow.

The kit goes together really well, massive parts breakdown but no fit problems. A couple of parts miss-numbered on the instructions but nothing major.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Looks a very nice kit Darryl especially with all the extras you've gathered together i shall enjoy watching you build this one 🙂👍

Cheers mate, its a great kit, certainly so far. Going together faultlessly, if RFM keep this up they will be knocking Dragon for 6.

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Impressive looking kit there Darryl, Tamiya builders complain about the parts count in Dragon builds.....that looks like a Dragon kit on steroids, carry on, no slacking. :whistle:

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

It looks like it'll  keep you busy for a while this, the hull looks like its gone together well

Thanks chaps, great kit, much better than the Tiger I've on the go at the moment too.

Just had a quick count, to assemble the lower hull as seen in the photo above, 100parts, give or take a couple. 

But it goes together really well,  instructions are generally clear the odd miss number but nothing insurmountable. The fit is excellent and the parts require very little clean up.

In other words, so far, very happy modeller, would have no hesitation doing another, even the cut marks on the armour plate is really nicely done. :like:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Thought I'd better at least make a start on this one:

spacer.png

Quick box contents shot, Inc the RFM upgrade set which includes more photoetch and some 3d printed details (extinguisher and cable ends). 

The RFM kit is pretty comprehensive and probably doesn't require too much in the way of extras. 

The build starts with the hull bottom and fitting the mounts for the torsion bars before assembling the lower hull sides and joining to the bottom.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hull tub assembled prior to fitting torsion bars, shock absorbers and swinging arms.

spacer.png

Opted for the simplified shocker absorber and connected to the arm. The alternative, which is included, is a working multipart shocker.

spacer.png

Didn't see the advantage with working suspension for what I wanted here.

spacer.png

Torsion bars, arms, shock absorbers and track tensioners fitted along with mounts for the return rollers and for drive wheels.

spacer.png

Have to say RFM have come on since doing the Tiger, which isn't a bad kit btw. Everything fits well and as you'd expect and so far at least no nasty surprises!

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

Hello Darryl

Your workbench is full of good stuff and it looks like a lot of work.
When I compare the RFM quality with my kit, I almost feel envious 😁

Well then, I won't keep you any longer from your work 🤭

I am looking forward to the result - have fun!
MD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hello Darryl

Your workbench is full of good stuff and it looks like a lot of work.
When I compare the RFM quality with my kit, I almost feel envious 😁

Well then, I won't keep you any longer from your work 🤭

I am looking forward to the result - have fun!
MD

Thanks MD,  it's a really good kit, the only previous experience with RFM has been the early Tiger, which is ok but this is better. (At least so far!) 

Yeah, lots more to do before it starts to resemble a III.

Doubt I'll use all the figures but I like one or two on a build.

11 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Superb progress Darryl and it really does look like an excellent kit. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, its actually a pleasure to put together... very strange no one told me this was supposed to be pleasurable!

Thanks chaps 

Darryl 

• Like 3

Haven't been totally idle this last week, spent most of it assembling the fenders...

Like a lot of the larger parts in the RFM kit they do have large, what I can only call, "ejector towers". Easy enough to trim off but something else to do; for example the underside of one of the fenders.

spacer.png

The Jack block and one of the tool boxes assembled. 

spacer.png

(The jack block uses the standard kit which then has the moulded detail removed and the etch added, I've recut the wood grain back into the block with a micro saw.)

spacer.png

One of the two replacement tool boxes, recreating the working hinges I decided was a step to far so glued it shut!

spacer.png

The Jack block mounts on top of the "S" hooks so will get fitted later. As will a number of the more fragile items.

spacer.png

The channel for the antenna(?) was easy to fold but trying to get the three etch legs to touch the fender simultaneously was tricky than I'd imagined!

spacer.png

How can a fender be broken down into so many parts! And the L/H fender really doesn't want to sit level...

(The two metal discs are for the magnetic stand).

Next up will be the flat pack upper hull...🙄

Detail oob is excellent, perhaps not ideal for a slow builder on a limited time build though!

The drive wheels have been assembled as have the idlers complete with the etch inner rings, one piece thankfully instead of the dragon three piece affair! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is pretty much how it sits tonight, still have the exhausts to fit but need to deal with a sink mark I've just spotted before they go on and then the remainder of the back panel can be fitted. 

Thanks for looking and good luck

Darryl 

• Like 12

Those ejector towers are something else! Nice build so far, you’re making good progress with it, especially given the amount of extra PE you’ve thrown into the build! It’s going to look great when it’s all done with the extras on.

• Thanks 1

Quick final addition for today, the hull mounted MG...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not suggesting its overkill but all that will be seen once completed will be the barrel. Something like 10 parts go into this, still haven't fitted the ammo belt btw!

As the photo suggests, a little more seam clean up might be required....

This certainly suggest an interior version will be coming.

Really wouldn't have fancied the head mount to adjust mg elevation either...

Cheers 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Those ejector towers are something else! Nice build so far, you’re making good progress with it, especially given the amount of extra PE you’ve thrown into the build! It’s going to look great when it’s all done with the extras on.

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Great progress Darryl looks excellent so far 👍 👌 👏 

Thanks fellas, regardless of its flaws, which are easily overcome, it's a great kit. You dont really need the extra detail kit that RFM sells, some of the 3d printed stuff is nice but could manage without.

So impressed with this kit I've just ordered another new RFM kit...

Blame Andy, he appears to make the whole kit purchasing lark acceptable!

Atb

• Haha 2

Looks a smashing kit darryl with some nice touches,  it looks to be building up well too ,the rest for the airel is a standout piece, I'm a bit disappointed with that bit on mine, takom have gone to the trouble of pe shurzen ,and then do the airel rest in ¼ " thick plastic🙄

• Thanks 1

It looks an interesting build Darryl, I've noticed those ejector towers on the zimmerit covered parts in my build as well, I'll leave you and Andy buying these,  I have ordered a Dragon Stug G from China, same place as I got my Tiger tracks + pins from.  The Stug G in my stash is the old Gunze Sangyo kit,  the 1 piece hull with all the axles moulded complete gives it's age away so I thought I had better get a more up to date kit, though it's not new, being first released in 2012, but those were the best years for Dragon kits, loads of optional parts, schurzen and magic tracks :whistle: When this kit arrives it will have all the spare bits so that I can make my Das Werk Stug more accurate, though knowing what they are I can at least start it. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Haven't been totally idle this last week, spent most of it assembling the fenders...

Like a lot of the larger parts in the RFM kit they do have large, what I can only call, "ejector towers". Easy enough to trim off but something else to do; for example the underside of one of the fenders.

spacer.png

The Jack block and one of the tool boxes assembled. 

spacer.png

(The jack block uses the standard kit which then has the moulded detail removed and the etch added, I've recut the wood grain back into the block with a micro saw.)

spacer.png

One of the two replacement tool boxes, recreating the working hinges I decided was a step to far so glued it shut!

spacer.png

The Jack block mounts on top of the "S" hooks so will get fitted later. As will a number of the more fragile items.

spacer.png

The channel for the antenna(?) was easy to fold but trying to get the three etch legs to touch the fender simultaneously was tricky than I'd imagined!

spacer.png

How can a fender be broken down into so many parts! And the L/H fender really doesn't want to sit level...

(The two metal discs are for the magnetic stand).

Next up will be the flat pack upper hull...🙄

Detail oob is excellent, perhaps not ideal for a slow builder on a limited time build though!

The drive wheels have been assembled as have the idlers complete with the etch inner rings, one piece thankfully instead of the dragon three piece affair! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is pretty much how it sits tonight, still have the exhausts to fit but need to deal with a sink mark I've just spotted before they go on and then the remainder of the back panel can be fitted. 

Thanks for looking and good luck

Darryl 

Hey Darryl

The build looks very good so far!
I saw that you use ca glue for the box, for example.
You can get rid of all excess glue stains with this agent 👍

https://www.vms-supplies.com/glue-remove-debonder

There is also a video on the VMS website - maybe you are interested.

MD

• Thanks 1