Sepecat Jaguar question - drop tanks

Herb

Quick question for the Jaguar aficionados: What are the sizes and types of applicable drop tanks?

Between French and RAF aircraft I think I may be seeing differences in centerline types versus wing drops, and also perhaps different fin configurations? But it's subtle, if there at all. Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Herb

The RAF only used one type of drop tank. 1200 ltr made from phenolic (?) asbestos. It was fitted to both wing and centreline pylons. If they were fitted to the centreline on a training sortie that would involve gun firing, the fins were removed. This was to prevent them getting damaged by the empty 30mm cases being ejected.

The French used a different type of tank.

Rob.

• Like 1

In my Airfix 1/48 kit (the SEPCAT Jaguar GR3A) the configuration is either you have the 1200ltr tanks on each wing with a recon pod on the center line or a tank on the center line and 2xBL755 bombs on each wing.  There are only 2 fins on my tanks both in the down position.

Edited by David Hadland
Type of aircraft I have

14 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

The RAF only used one type of drop tank. 1200 ltr made from phenolic (?) asbestos.

Rob.

Yes horrible stuff, having helped sand a pair of tanks down for painting had to be fully masked up.

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

The french Jaguars  used  1200l aluminium tanks of generally the same dimensions.

Different fin style though.

Not sure if the Mirage F1 used the same tanks...

Pretty sure the French Jag tanks were the Mirage ones, I hope so anyway as thats what I got hold of in 1/48 for my Jaguar As :)

• Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 2:13 AM, Phone Phixer said:

The RAF only used one type of drop tank. 1200 ltr made from phenolic (?) asbestos.

Who thought this was a good idea..? 

From Wikipedia: "In 1899, H. Montague Murray noted the negative health effects of asbestos. The first documented death related to asbestos was in 1906. In the early 1900s, researchers began to notice a large number of early deaths and lung problems in asbestos-mining towns."

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

To be fair, there are different kinds of asbestos, none exactly benign but some more toxic that others. Most, if not all products are reasonably benign if you don't drill, file or sand them. I gather that these were impregnated with a resin binder.   I'm not Airframes, but I never saw a Jaguar tank being worked on. The revetments around Coltishall had stacks of drop tanks, in slatted wooded stillages, their contents covered in moss, waiting for WW3. I wonder when they were removed? Probably when excercises like Tacevals were abandoned and the barbed wire cleared post 1990. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Sure we had one 'clear aircraft' on takeoff at Colt once - Hautbois end

Yeah, there was one sometime around 99/00. I had been moved from AMF to the bomb dump 🤬, watched all the aftermath from there. Think it was a birdstrike on take-off, napalmed the wooden perimeter fence at the Hautbois end. Fire section wouldn't take their shiney engines onto the soft ground, and tried spraying foam from the end of the runway hardstanding!! Failed miserably.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1