M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

On 2/24/2021 at 3:57 PM, PlaStix said:

With the GB proposal getting into the vote, my thoughts are now turning to which of the many M3s and M4s I have in the stash I might build. I've got several examples in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/35. Anyone else had any thoughts as to what they might build if this STGB gets through the vote?

Having had a quick look through my current options, a 1/35 Asuka M4A1(76)W Sherman belonging to the 1st Polish Armoured Division in Holland, late 1944 tops the list. I'm told it was quite a rare version in theatre but the Poles were re-equipped with them and their surviving mainstream Shermans were given to other British units to make good losses. That eased supply and maintenance as all the 'odd' ones were in one place :)

Andy

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II for 2022 - now @31!! - Anyone else?
On 16/06/2021 at 06:15, Ray_W said:

Hi Stix,

Count me in.

Ray

Hi Ray. I am sorry for the VERY slow reply! I managed to miss your post completely! Consider yourself counted! In fact you are number 30!..............I know......you are not a number........... 😜

17 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I’ve got a MimiArt full interior Australian M3. If the GB is six months long….

or if I actually did 20% in advance?

or if I just went at it like a fiend?

put me down for it then. 

Hi Bertie. I have added you two to the list at number 31. The GB will only be 3 months long [if it get's through the vote at the end of the year] (it's only a Single Type GB - not a full one) - so I'd suggest that's really not long enough for a MiniArt kit with an interior! I'm not a fan of modellers starting building before the start date of a GB. In my opinion it's a bit unfair to anyone else taking part. The 20% rule was originally introduced to encourage modellers who had, perhaps, started a build years ago but never finished it. Kind of a way to allow someone to finish a build started a while back. My suggestion would be to build your MiniArt kit some time when you have the time to do it right and enjoy it - rather than feel rushed. For some GBs I specifically choose to build something in 1/72 or 1/48 - that I know I will have plenty of time to do and enjoy the process in the time allotted. It's entirely up to you if you want to try and build your Australian M3 - but three months isn't that long if the kit is that complex. Do you have any other possible kits or is the M3 it?

Kind regards,

Stix 

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

It's entirely up to you if you want to try and build your Australian M3 - but three months isn't that long if the kit is that complex.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I neglected to include lols and smilies to indicate that I was joking about starting early and knew that it was a three month GB. I work pretty quickly and far better under a tiny bit of pressure. I would really struggle to finish a 1/72 tank in three months though - going that slow would kill me. :drunk:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II for 2022 - now @32!! - Anyone else?
On 03/11/2021 at 09:42, sardaukar said:

Please count me  in, got a bunch of Sherman's in the stash.

You have been counted!!.........and you are number 32 on the list. Thank you.

Please make sure you have voted for this GB in the Bunfight poll and please encourage all your friends to vote as well! I think we may have a bit of a stuggle on our hands........but hopefully it will get through.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

As I mentioned to @sardaukar, above, it looks like we may have a bit of a job on our hands to get this and @modelling minion's Leopard Tank STGB into the calendar for next year.

To that end, can I please encourage everyone on our list, in post 1 (now listed below), to vote for this and the Leopard STGB or we may not have any specific tank GBs in next year's calendar.

@fatfingers, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @bigfoot, @robw_uk, @Robert Stuart, @Bonhoff, @TEMPESTMK5, @JackG, @Ted, @klr, @Bullbasket, @Jasper dog, @Matt B, @diablo rsv, @badger, @Tim R-T-C, @Angus Tura, @Marklo, @Six97s, @Das Abteilung, @diases, @desert falcon, @IanC, @Peter Browne, @Rob S, @Scargsy, @Ozzy, @planecrazee, @Ray_W and @Bertie Psmith.

If you can, please also encourage some more modellers to join us.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

As I mentioned to @sardaukar, above, it looks like we may have a bit of a job on our hands to get this and @modelling minion's Leopard Tank STGB into the calendar for next year.

To that end, can I please encourage everyone on our list, in post 1 (now listed below), to vote for this and the Leopard STGB or we may not have any specific tank GBs in next year's calendar.

@fatfingers, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @bigfoot, @robw_uk, @Robert Stuart, @Bonhoff, @TEMPESTMK5, @JackG, @Ted, @klr, @Bullbasket, @Jasper dog, @Matt B, @diablo rsv, @badger, @Tim R-T-C, @Angus Tura, @Marklo, @Six97s, @Das Abteilung, @diases, @desert falcon, @IanC, @Peter Browne, @Rob S, @Scargsy, @Ozzy, @planecrazee, @Ray_W and @Bertie Psmith.

If you can, please also encourage some more modellers to join us.

Kind regards,

Stix

As someone who has little interest in modelling wingy things, can we not have a seperate 'stream' of armour, AFV, military vehicle, group builds?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

As someone who has little interest in modelling wingy things, can we not have a seperate 'stream' of armour, AFV, military vehicle, group builds?

When the discussions were taking place last year, about the new arrangements for the GBs - this question was raised. It is a very valid point. There are definitly more modellers on Britmodeller who prefer aircraft modelling, which is fair enough. I throroughly enjoy building aircraft as well, but my favourite builds are AFVs these days. The problem for AVF GBs now, with the new GB setup, is that they are up against mostly aircraft based GBs which, understandably, are going to get more votes. Up until the changes, last year - any STGB that got 25 modellers signed up, automatically got a GB in the next available slot - which, in some cases - could be a couple of years away. Some modellers didn't like the wait. I personally didn't mind.

I must say, if we don't manage to get either this or the Leopard Tank GB, into next years calendar, we may have to raise this with @Enzo Matrix. I will be very sad if we don't get at least one tank STGB into next year's calendar.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

The powers that be have a different approach here when it comes to group builds.   That could be partly due to the way of the set up, where everyone has their own build thread under a special created category within a GB calendar year.   No doubt that takes some work to create the HTML  page for each and every theme.

I know on another model forum site, any member can create a group build whenever they wish.   It basically becomes one big thread where the participants post their progress until finished.  One or two ppl manage the group, with the front page edited with a completed photo.  It can become a huge 'cesspool' once done, particularly if someone comes along later and wishes to follow the build steps for a specific model.

Suppose another way to do it is everyone just do their own Work in Progress within the armour section, and a special thread created in the Ready for Inspection that showcases the completed builds.  Question is how many are willing to follow 30 or so separate builds with email notifications?  No, you don't have to use this preference option, but does save time from searching the build threads interspersed with those not of the M3/M4 theme.  It does seem a bit roguish this route, and not sure it would have the same atmosphere as an 'official' group build - certainly not the same convenience and order.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

I completely agree with you, although if it were to happen, then no doubt ship modellers, car modellers et al would also like a piece of the cake.

33 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

this question was raised. It is a very valid point.

Just taking a quick count, there are eleven slots up for grabs in the STGB. Of those, nine are aircraft and two are AFV. Possibly that is a reflection of the ratio of aircraft modellers to AFV modellers on BM, but it does mean that aircraft are always going to get some slots, whereas AFV's might not. Hence what I said in an earlier post about only voting for what I'm signed up for.

17 minutes ago, JackG said:

I know on another model forum site, any member can create a group build whenever they wish.   It basically becomes one big thread where the participants post their progress until finished. 

We've got one on BM. The thread about the German Tiger. It's been allowed, but I wonder what would happen if more and more of these started to pop up. I don't begrudge the wingy brigade their slots, in fact I was tempted to sign up for the Meteor GB, but I do think that a different system could operate which would give more chance to builders of less well supported themes.

John.

• Like 3

The funny thing is we have all these different categories/themes on Britimodeller, but in the end the wingy things rule when it comes to group builds.  Maybe there should be a second group build calendar for subjects other than aircraft?

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

A year or two ago there was a separate group build section named “They Also Served” that i believe allowed for builds from those groups that did not make the official cut to still participate with their planned builds in the GB area. I don’t know if this is still a viable option or not? But if so it might be acceptable solution.

• Like 1

Already done it @PlaStix, along with the half track / armoured car and the leopard, I think, only did it last night and already forgotten! :mental:

Thanks for the reminder though! :like:

What folk have been saying is true, even though armour modellers are a much nicer breed of modeller and probably stop to help ladies cross the road we always get the mucky end of the stick! :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve already cast my vote. Although aircraft do dominate this forum we haven’t done too badly for armour GBs in the last few years. Fingers crossed this one gets through, looking like it might sneak into the calendar though.

• Like 3

well it now looks like the standard of this STGB has just dropped considerably......... I'm joining in!!!! :D

By pure chance this dropped into my shopping yesterday, it was completely unplanned too.

35209_art-L.jpg

But boy what a nice looking model she is and super detailed as well. Unfortunately they didn't have the Aussie one in store, This one contains pretty well all the bits i need except the hatches for the current (the Aussie ones didn't have the tiny turret) and the side skirts, but Eduard make a set of those.

Should be a fun model to build.

• Like 5

I’m probably in the minority as I’m mostly an aircraft modeller but I love the odd AFV as well. Now historically I think this was because I preferr 1/35 armour and a kit in this scale was way more expensive than the typical 1/72 aircraft kits so invariably they only turned up at Christmas and birthdays, any I digress.

Perhaps we should have a little positive discrimination and allocate a number of GB slots for AFVs or other less mainstream genres ( sci fi, battleship etc)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II for 2022 - now @33!! - Anyone else?

Thank you for the comments and positive vibes!! Hopefully we'll see all the armour GBs through into next year's calendar. It would only be the three out of fourteen but, as others have pointed out, there are some opportunities to build armour in other main GBs.

Also, if anyone has any spare votes from other STGBs, or votes unused, please consider this and the Leopard STGB.

@trickyrich Welcome along, with what looks to be an awesome kit! Hopefully we'll get chance to see you build it first hand, in this GB! I have added you to the list in the first post.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1